Should I Put Back The Battery Cover With New Battery? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I Put Back The Battery Cover With New Battery?

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I need a new battery for my 01 sport and I was wondering if I need to put the battery cover back on with the new battery or should I just leave it off? Also can I clean my clamps with baking soda and water or is there a better way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes you should definitely put the cover back on. under-hood temps can reach 500 F. the battery cover protects the battery from these high temps, which will shorten it's life.

under-hood temps can reach 500 F. the battery cover protects the battery from these high temps, which will shorten it's life.
If that was true, that flimsy plastic wouldn't do any good.
I would put the plastic cover back just because... it was there for a reason and is not hard to put it back.

If that was true, that flimsy plastic wouldn't do any good.
I would put the plastic cover back just because... it was there for a reason and is not hard to put it back.

well, that's why it's there. it acts as a heat shield,. it's not the flimsy plastic that keeps the heat off the battery, it's the air-gap between the cover and the battery that provides heat protection. auto manufacturers but the covers over the battery for a reason.

I just put in the new one and everything went ok but the positive clamp would only go half way down. That's how the old one was and I tried to loosen it all the way but it would only go on half. Is that ok? I mean I drove it 6 years with the old battery like that.

Its there to prevent accidentally touching the positive with the negative (chassis) when working under the hood. Easy to do with a ratchet or a long screwdriver.

its there to prevent accidentally touching the positive with the negative (chassis) when working under the hood. Easy to do with a ratchet or a long screwdriver.
+1^
well, that's why it's there. it acts as a heat shield,.
It's not a heat shield if you don't have airflow to remove the heat build-up. In that space, eventually the temperature will equalize, regardless of airgap. I will equalize even trough vacuum, if you don't remove the heat somehow.

Then what's the function of the positive battery terminal cover? :scratch:

I never put those covers back on..just saying.

Its there to prevent accidentally touching the positive with the negative (chassis) when working under the hood. Easy to do with a ratchet or a long screwdriver.

My cover doesn't cover the terminals....how would that help with preventing a short?

auto manufacturers but the covers over the battery for a reason.

The reason is nothing short of cosmetics. Open the hood of any newer vehicle and what's covering the engine and components?

Yup, nice shiny plastic... :D

The reason is nothing short of cosmetics. Open the hood of any newer vehicle and what's covering the engine and components?

Yup, nice shiny plastic... :D
KA-CHING! Winner, that's money. Aesthetic only, nothing more. :thumbsup:

+1^

It's not a heat shield if you don't have airflow to remove the heat build-up. In that space, eventually the temperature will equalize, regardless of airgap. I will equalize even trough vacuum, if you don't remove the heat somehow.

okay, then what's its purpose? Ford wouldn't spend 10 cents (or whatever the cover costs them) on every vehicle they make if they didn't think the cover served a purpose. BTW, it doesn't cover the terminals. there's supposed to be a separate plastic cover to cover the positive terminal, but this piece is usually lost (along with the battery cover) the first time the battery is replaced. in addition to the battery cover some vehicles have a thermal blanket around the battery.

I think/assume is to protect it mechanically (the vents on top).
Explorers are supposed to be off-road, they probably assumed that more dirt can get in there under hood than a regular car.
IMO it doesn't help with the heating from engine.

Maybe it's so when people hook up the jumper cables backwards it might prevent acid or whatever from getting on people when it blows up?
I don't doubt that maybe ford was sued for that!
Damn things never start from reading on this forum!

lol

i agree with koda2000

Well i guess it's settled then! lol

What difference does it make? IMO, put things back the way you found them unless you have a real good reason not to. Being too danged lazy to put them back right isn't a real good reason! ;)

What difference does it make? IMO, put things back the way you found them unless you have a real good reason not to. Being too danged lazy to put them back right isn't a real good reason! ;)

yep. best reason of all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apologies to koda2000, his FIRST reply nailed it. FWIW, the Ford Workshop Manual refers to the cover as a "battery heat shield". Us "others" should learn to research and confirm, rather than assuming and giving wrong and misleading info. :(

2001 Explorer Sport/Sport Trac (Battery Removal and Installation) pdf
http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/26139/battery-removal-and-installation.pdf

2001 Explorer/Mountaineer (Battery Removal and Installation) pdf
http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/26139/battery-removal-and-installation (1).pdf

Back