Oil Change interval | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Personally I wouldnt go over 6K reguardless of what the oil life indicator says. I've seen the inside of a Mercedes engine I owned that went 10K between and it was filthy inside. Loads of build up in the OHC and valley areas. I bought the car with 70K on it and at just over 100K we had a really bad low end tick and had to pull the motor and refreshen it. I was amazed at how dirty the inside of the motor was with oil build up.

Certain brands of oil used to do exactly what you just described. Quaker State used to be the worst for sludge buildup. Today's oils are far superior to what we used to have just 15 years ago.

Just a thought - Ford Motorcraft oil has to come from an oil company because Ford is not in the oil refinement business. Who makes the Motorcraft oil?
Guess I might have to do a internet search and find what I can.

Edit - Just found it. In USA it is ConocoPhillips. In Canada it is Imperial Oil.
ConocoPhillips gas is what I usually run as it has no ethanol here in La.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First oil change

Just finished the first oil change (2013 Limited 3.5L) and gotta say I've never had a filter that was that easy to get to. Next change tho I'm gonna try to drain the filter a little by poking a hole in it first. Was kinda messy. The oil-life minder had 3% and the clock had 9298 miles on it. Was kind of nervous about letting that many miles rack up without an oil change but was interested when it would want a change so I let it go. How many miles will your X-ploder let you get away with? I've always been a 5k mile guy so this is uncharted water.
Interesting observation: the manual calls for a FL-500 S filter, it's the same diameter as the factory one (which was unmarked) but is about 1/4" shorter. It was not what I would call hand-tight either, any looser and it would have been leaking.

Oil Change Question

Hello All,

Recently picked up my first ever Ford (2014 Ford Explorer XLT to be exact) and had a quick question in reference to oil changes. Talking with a good friend, he stated that around 500 miles to change the oil to ensure the breakup that occurs within the engine during this time are removed. I am coming from owning multiple Mitsubishis and have never done this. With them I waited until around 3000 miles, then around every 5000 (depending on my driving during that timeframe) from there. According to the manual, my driving conditions go for a change around 7500 miles, with proper monthly checking. I would like to know and guage how everyone has treated that first oil change and at what mileage did they change? Also does the stuff about things breakup hold any validity. Thanks!

Robert

Oh boy

Hello All,

Recently picked up my first ever Ford (2014 Ford Explorer XLT to be exact) and had a quick question in reference to oil changes. Talking with a good friend, he stated that around 500 miles to change the oil to ensure the breakup that occurs within the engine during this time are removed. I am coming from owning multiple Mitsubishis and have never done this. With them I waited until around 3000 miles, then around every 5000 (depending on my driving during that timeframe) from there. According to the manual, my driving conditions go for a change around 7500 miles, with proper monthly checking. I would like to know and guage how everyone has treated that first oil change and at what mileage did they change? Also does the stuff about things breakup hold any validity. Thanks!

Robert

I'm sure the mod is going to relocate this to the one of the many other threads that have beat this topic to death. But until it's gets moved let's talk about politics or religion instead. Here's what I know for certain, my religion and my political view is the right and if you don't agree then you're crazy. :)

Also does the stuff about things breakup hold any validity.

No.

These are my very favorite threads.

10,000 miles, 1 year, or when the Oil Life Monitor tells you it's time. Anything else is a waste of time, resources, and $.

Mobil 1 5W20 full synthetic from Wal Mart, and Motorcraft FL500S filters in bulk from Amazon. Oil changes are less than $40.

Others will be along shortly to tell you change early, change often. "It's good insurance..." Blah, blah, blah. Non-fact based garbage. I had the first 10,000 mile run on Mobil 1 tested by Blackstone, including TBN. The oil holds up fine in mixed driving.

Enjoy what follows.....

With all my new vehicles, I always do an early first oil change. At about 1,000 miles. I did this with the 2011 Limited, and then switched to a full synthetic at that time. Factory fill is only a blended oil, not full synthetic. 2nd oil change at 5,000 miles, 3rd oil change at 5,000 miles. Now, all done at about 7,500 miles. After +94,000 miles, all is good.

I don't do Blackstone UOA's on the Ford, but I do on my other toys, and this first early oil change proves beneficial to rid the system of wear metals from the break-in process.

To each their own. Works for me. Cheap insurance.

Wait for it - where is peter?

I'll try to do my best Peter improv here - nothing like the original though:

So if you used the search feature you would find many threads on this topic and most of them share very different opinions. In the end its what you choose to do since its your $$$ - cheap insurance or not. There is really no right or wrong to it IMO.

Personally i changed at 1k and just about to change at 5.5K. Both my changes are free so not worried about the $$$

Some folks here are tree huggers and worried about the environment so they may tell you to save the dino oil for the ressurection of the dinosaurs. I say let the dino fend for themselves. My beast needs oil..lol

Peter, hope you didnt mind me stealing your thunder for 2 mins. ;-)

To each their own. Works for me. Cheap insurance.

Complete waste of time, money and "cheap insurance"......simply follow the schedule in the owner's manual....Ford, their technicians and the people who are responsible for creating their warranties, know better than any backyard mechanic what the requirements of the vehicle are....

Wait for it - where is peter?

I'll try to do my best Peter improv here - nothing like the original though:

So if you used the search feature you would find many threads on this topic and most of them share very different opinions. In the end its what you choose to do since its your $$$ - cheap insurance or not. There is really no right or wrong to it IMO.

Personally i changed at 1k and just about to change at 5.5K. Both my changes are free so not worried about the $$$

Some folks here are tree huggers and worried about the environment so they may tell you to save the dino oil for the ressurection of the dinosaurs. I say let the dino fend for themselves. My beast needs oil..lol

Peter, hope you didnt mind me stealing your thunder for 2 mins. ;-)
I don't mind at all. I've spent the past 30 minutes merging all the threads on this topic into this one thread. Looks like Bill #4 Explorer was the first to post on this so it is 'his' thread. Amazing what a 'Search' on a topic can turn up!;)

Peter

Bill#4 Ex and roaminphantom are spot on especially about the early oil change --Frequent oil changes are still cheaper than replacing parts.

I believe the entire oil life monitoring system is "calibrated" to a semi-synthetic blend oil.
If in doubt about the oil life monitor system or on the fence about it's accuracy, Simply spend a few bucks more and use a premium "full" synthetic oil to buy you that extra margin and insurance. That's what I do.

Bill#4 Ex and roaminphantom are spot on especially about the early oil change --Frequent oil changes are still cheaper than replacing parts.

Agreed. I don't know how much a Ford engine costs, regardless, an $80 full synthetic oil change is a small price to pay.

On my weekend fast toys, a $300 oil change to protect a $40,000 motor is a no brainer.

Party on my friends!:D

I like it when people say go 8,000 to 10,000 miles between changes-- can you say sludge. Ford is in the business to sell parts and cars.

Trust Science

I like it when people say go 8,000 to 10,000 miles between changes-- can you say sludge. Ford is in the business to sell parts and cars.

So you think Blackstone screwed up? Or just tossed 182RG's oil down the drain and reported back that all is fine then? Come on, show science some love, it should be the info you base your decisions on. I think it better to base your decisions about this modern high tech (IE not a 1960s or 1970s engine, not a drag race engine, just an everyday engine) using science than doing something because my Dad always did. Times change, keep up.

I'm at 48500 miles and I'm about to do my, wait for it, 5th oil change. All is well with my engine. I have faith in Ford and science.

I'm at 48500 miles and I'm about to do my, wait for it, 5th oil change. All is well with my engine. I have faith in Ford and science.
I completed my 5th oil change this past October and I just went over the 16,100 km (10,000 mile) mark!:):thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks for merging and sorry if I brought up some deep feelings referencing oil change intervals. From what I am seeing is that everyone is doing what works for them, whether it be frequent or not. I am one of those insurance people, but 500 miles seems extremely low for me. I think I will do about 1,000 the first then probably 5.5 after each depending on driving conditions. Now off to looking for accessories etc...

I completed my 5th oil change this past October and I just went over the 16,100 km (10,000 mile) mark!:):thumbsup:

Peter

Yikes, every 2000 miles or so? What's the OLM reading? Are you towing near max all day, every day?

Yikes, every 2000 miles or so? What's the OLM reading? Are you towing near max all day, every day?
If I recall correctly, and that can be a challenge at my age, I think it read 47%. I don't tow but do drive many short trips and there are times it doesn't get driven for 3 or 4 days. That is an advantage or disadvantage of living in a small town with only the occasional venture into the 'big city'.
That is why I change it every 6 months as I've done with all my previous ones. I have never had a vehicle that reached a mileage limit before a time limit.:)
When my 48 month lease is up in March 2015, I should have around 14,000 miles 'piled' up on it.

Peter

So you think Blackstone screwed up? Or just tossed 182RG's oil down the drain and reported back that all is fine then? Come on, show science some love, it should be the info you base your decisions on. I think it better to base your decisions about this modern high tech (IE not a 1960s or 1970s engine, not a drag race engine, just an everyday engine) using science than doing something because my Dad always did. Times change, keep up.

The science is that short trips in cold weather the oil doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the unburned fuel the enters the crankcase from blow- by passed the piston rings. Today's engines have tighter tolerances compared to the 60s or 70s but the fact remains that blow-by still exists, that science hasn't changed--- Talk to any experienced engine tech, he will get you up to speed. No I don't think anybody screwed up- its their vehicle they can treat it the way they think is best for them.

Wow, this thread started almost 3 years ago. Let's all agree to disagree.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The science is that short trips in cold weather the oil doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the unburned fuel the enters the crankcase from blow- by passed the piston rings. Today's engines have tighter tolerances compared to the 60s or 70s but the fact remains that blow-by still exists, that science hasn't changed--- Talk to any experienced engine tech, he will get you up to speed. No I don't think anybody screwed up- its their vehicle they can treat it the way they think is best for them.

Wow, this thread started almost 3 years ago. Let's all agree to disagree.
You can thank or blame Bill #4 Explorer for that. :biggthump

Peter

Back