Cargo light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo light

JETZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Had to get something out of the hatch yesterday night noticed the the cargo light was not on (like it makes any difference, so dim) so I press the switch on, do my thing, and get back in the car...but that light remains on, and on, and on..

Even 'manually' switching it 'off' again, it's still staying on!
wtfoih.jpg

Something else to piss me off with my new FERD! :rolleyes:

Off the the dealer monday, again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup had the same happen to mine. It does what it wants, on or off, whenever it feels like it. One of the 9 things on my list why the X is currently at the dealer.

Yup had the same happen to mine. It does what it wants, on or off, whenever it feels like it. One of the 9 things on my list why the X is currently at the dealer.

Did you remove your LED lights from the interior before you dropped off the car to have the 3rd row fixed? If not did they say anything if they noticed?

Thanks, I'm going to drop my car off soon for my, 1. door alignment 2. A-pillar 3. 3rd row LED light not functioning correctly, and was debating whether I should take them out.

Maybe you should, don't want them to come to the conclusion that the problem are the LED's, and not look further.

That's another great feature, huh?
I have to say it amazes me the "old" things that they can mess up. How long have cars had dome lights? So how hard is it to make sure the switch turns the dome light off when you are finished using it????

To turn the light off after manually turning it on you have to sit in the car, close all of the doors, and wait for the interior lights to turn off then use the switch to turn off the offending lamp.

This same exact thing happened to me. Had to pull the lamp assembly out so it would not stay lit. It works like it should when plugged in the first time it comes on. The next time the doors open it comes on and never turns off. Nice :thumbdwn:

Maybe you should, don't want them to the conclusion that the problem are the LED's, and not look further.

That's what I was thinking

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I have heard that sometimes LED bulbs do strange thing where they were not placed originally. Something about voltages and/or resistances being different than incandescent bulbs. This was told to me about running lights and turn signal bulbs. I replaced the spot lights outside over my garage door with Costco double LED spotlights on a motion sensor. Very cool white light and sort of bright.

So my update:

My sales guy opens the hatch, presses the 'switch'...still on! I even brought my highlighted owners mannual to quote from 'you can manually turn it on...and off' :D!
Anyway the long, and short of it, he got me to get in the second row back seat (he's in the drivers seat, all doors closed, motor off, and got me to reach back to hit that switch...and low, and behold the MF turned off!!!

The lord works in mysterious ways! :rolleyes:
This is BS IMO, cause this should so simple!

I thought I was going to rip that bulb out, cause I didn't want wait a half a day to get that looked at in the service department.

But here is the kicker:

I'm ready to drive off, got the window down speaking with my sales guy. Suddenly he's looking at my front tire area, and say's, 'you see this???

Here we go, I've got a nail in my tire...at the bloody dealership...preasure is building...I jump out to find NO nail in my tire... BUT some MF had side swipped me (where/when I don't know) cause I park far away from everyone. The fact that I back into my spot in my condo, and I have to look at the front end when I approach the car, I never noticed this!

I told my guy, 'you made my day'!
38388863cryingej9.gif

I called my 3M installer, but he's in Vegas, won't be back till the 7th,
Only good thing is the 3M protected against any through scratching, just a little on the black surround around the wheel well.
Bad news is, to replace the scratched area, the whole thing has to be replaced (bumper piece is ONE piece side to side), Licence bracket has to come off/on to do this...and the most expensive piece.

Frank

xdfrontfenderscratch.jpg

xdfrontfenderscratch1.jpg

I wish JETZ fix was the final answer as this problem has been affecting me for weeks now but it’s a no go for me. I have LEDs installed and replaced them with the factory bulbs with no luck as well.

My X just came out of the dealership and no fix was found either. The 3rd row light is unplugged so it doesn't bother me while I’m driving. They have no idea what is causing it and "need time to research it further". The service advisor stated that they even made calls to their Ford internal support center with no good result for a fix. (As a note to the members here; I left my LEDs installed and nothing negative was said by the dealership)

So, guess its back to the waiting game. Hope a fix is discovered soon….

PS.. Sorry about your scuffs JETZ. I just tagged a curb with my wheel and left a small scratch in the rim. Not happy about it!

For everyone’s info, here is an overview of what I have documented thus far:

3rd row, single LED factory dome light operation issues:
Light will randomly work as per factory described normal operation. ON/OFF with doors, tailgate and dash button etc.

Light will illuminate at random while driving and remain on. Dash button, door & tailgate opening/closing, engine restart will not resolve the issue and light remains illuminated.

When light is off, it will not turn on when commanded by dash button or by opening the doors/tailgate.

Light will randomly operate when commanded to turn on/off with the light’s integrated button (The one in the light’s actual housing, not the dash button)

When light is stuck in the ON operation mode, there are only two ways to turn it off.
1. Wait for the 10 minute timer to shut it down
2. Unplug the light, wait three or four seconds, then plug it back in. (Note: light usually operates as per factory described operation for a at least one cycle of door/tailgate opening and then resumes it erratic operation after that.)

All other interior lights work perfectly as per factory described operation at all times.

UPDATE!

I took the Ex in today for the streaky windows and some other minor things. I was going to have them check out the dome light issue as well. Worried they would suggest my LEDs were the cause, I took them out and put the stock bulbs back in. Guess what?.....I can no longer duplicate this issue.

The 3rd row light now functions just as it should and turns on/off when doors are opened as well as by pushing the button on the dash or the button on the light itself.

I'm thinking there is a current draw issue with the aftermarket LEDs which is causing the 3rd row light to not "know" the other lights are turned off. Maybe it's power is slaved off the state of the other lights.

Kinda sucks, I really like the pure white light of the LEDs. Maybe someone with more engineering skill than I can figure this out.

I had the 3rd row light "stuck-on" issue with a stock bulb. To get it to go off and stay off, I had to have my 6-year old climb in the back and push the button on the light with the car running. Since then it only comes on with the other interior lights.

Knock on wood, I removed the LEDs put back the stock bulbs, everything is fine. Hope we have a electrical engineer in the forum. Working on the inside tailgate light, really need some light back there, Sgt1411, any luck on the interceptor part? I see a spot it looks like it should go in the plastic cover

Cargo Light Possessed

Maybe someone can open my eyes to something I might be doing wrong.

More often then not, when I am driving, I see my cargo light in the back on. This is the ceiling mounted LED light.

I had thought I had the interior lights triggered somehow, but no, this is the only light on.

I thought maybe I had a door adjar, but no, they are all closed with no dashboard indicator.

I thought maybe I have the switch in the wrong position, much like the older days where you have a switch up front for your dome light, on/off/doors, so I tried going back once, opening the hatch, pressing the button, closing the hatch and continuing, but no luck.

I'm technically savvy and have tried a variety of ideas, but nothing, nada. No sense of repetitiveness where I can find a pattery. My next step is to simply disconnect totally.

Anyone have any ideas??

Maybe someone can open my eyes to something I might be doing wrong.

More often then not, when I am driving, I see my cargo light in the back on. This is the ceiling mounted LED light.

I had thought I had the interior lights triggered somehow, but no, this is the only light on.

I thought maybe I had a door adjar, but no, they are all closed with no dashboard indicator.

I thought maybe I have the switch in the wrong position, much like the older days where you have a switch up front for your dome light, on/off/doors, so I tried going back once, opening the hatch, pressing the button, closing the hatch and continuing, but no luck.

I'm technically savvy and have tried a variety of ideas, but nothing, nada. No sense of repetitiveness where I can find a pattery. My next step is to simply disconnect totally.

Anyone have any ideas??
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this thread.
It could be the manual switch for the light itself or perhaps the switch that activates when the hatch opens/closes that is defective.

Peter

Wow, thank you Peter for moving my message and illuminating me to this thread. I had no idea this was such a common issue and though frustrated, am simply shaking my head with a smile at the "typical" Ford issue.

Mike, crawl in the back with all the doors closed and push the button for the light. It will then turn off. That's what I had to do with my '11 Limited when I had it, trick is that all the doors need to be shut. Drove me crazy one night until I figured out the trick.

My light does eventually go out. It was on during my drive in to work but then went out later in the morning. It went on when I went out to lunch but now has turned off. It is staying on as I drive, however.

Weird.

People, Solder 1k ohm resistors across the terminals of your LED bulbs. Problem solved!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

led possessed

This happened to my ex until the led died. Brought to the dealer and found out that there was a leak on the roof. It was coming from the antenna. Water sips in and damaged the led assembly.

Back