HELP! Please tell me what this sound is? (04 Explorer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Please tell me what this sound is? (04 Explorer)

Stimpy911

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
A few months ago my heater started acting up. I am no longer able to get cold air. It seems to be stuck on the hot setting. I am ok with that since it is winter here in Michigan. However, as of yesterday my Explorer started making a weird clicking noise. Could this be the blend door thing I have been reading about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good move with the video - very clear and concise.

I'm not well versed in the blend-door issues (this noise seems a bit louder than when my actuator went), but I'll bump this so someone else can chime in - there's gotta be someone who knows more about this.

-Dubya

It is the blend-door actuator.

Blend door. Mine does the same thing but I can get it to stop by switching it full over to either heat or A/C and turning the fan on full. Anything in between and same clicking noise you have. Eventually, mine will fail completely and sound like yours.

Plenty of how-to-fix threads on this forum for this problem.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have replaced my front Blend Door Actuator twice and my rear actuator once and they have never sounded like that. :dunno:

If you decide to swap out the actuator, this will help out:

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

Good luck getting it sorted.:D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

However, as of yesterday my Explorer started making a weird clicking noise. Could this be the blend door thing I have been reading about?

The rapid tapping or clicking noise you are hearing doesn't sound like my blend door actuator when it failed. Mine made more of a some what repetitive thumping or clunking noise, heavier sounding too.

The rapid tapping or clicking noise you are hearing doesn't sound like my blend door actuator when it failed. Mine made more of a some what repetitive thumping or clunking noise, heavier sounding too.

I agree with Tom. It almost sounds musical. Not trying to be a smart ass.

It kinda sounds like something binding. Maybe the blend door itself is binding?

It almost sounds musical. Not trying to be a smart ass.

?

I actually thought his noise sounded like someone lightly tapping or drumming a pencil against the bottom of a 5 gallon pail.

I ended up turning the heater dial from hot to cold and back to hot and the noise went away.

Are you sure you weren't playing the beginning of the Bee Gees "Jive Talkin" on your stereo?

I turned the dial back to full heat and the noise started again. I backed it down a tad and noise went away. Do you think it is still the actuator or blend door?

I still think it's the blend door; the item that is on the driver's side tucked behind the side of the console. Does that sound like where the noise is coming from?

I still think it's the blend door; the item that is on the driver's side tucked behind the side of the console. Does that sound like where the noise is coming from?

Yes, that is where I heard the noise.

If the noise is coming and going with the temperature control adjustments then for sure it's the blend door actuator. It blends the hot air and cold air to give you the desired temperature.

Back