• Register Today It's free!

check engine liggr

twiford

Reaction score
City, State
lamar south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Hi, when i get on the interstate and i floor it at about 80mph the check engine light flases and it feels kinda like its missing buy normal driving its fine no lights could it be engine or trans related dont know if the check engine light flashes if there may be a trans. problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it's missing, badly. The flashing is a warning that driving in this condition will damage the catalytic converters by overloading them with unburned fuel. You need to fix the miss, or it's going to be an expensive cat replacement.

By the way: can you legally do 80mph in SC? Just curious.

Hi, when i get on the interstate and i floor it at about 80mph the check engine light flases and it feels kinda like its missing buy normal driving its fine no lights could it be engine or trans related dont know if the check engine light flashes if there may be a trans. problem

The miss i can barely feel not sure it's even missing the light just flashes around that speed only under full throttle and flashes for a minute then turns off it did s tay one one ti but me.speed limit is 70 but to keep up with the flow of traffic they run 80 even police wil the check engine light flash if there's trans codes or is that the od light

OBD-II codes P0700 through P0899 apply to transmission, mostly the electronics and control systems:
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

But I'd suspect a misfire or maybe even knock rather than transmission from what you describe.

yeah sounds like a miss. i would guess one of your coils that isnt keeping up at WOT wide open throttle..

Could be crappy spark plugs or fried wires. If the spark plug wires are stiff replace them.

Ok,went to advanceauto to have code's read they said that the couldn't unless the light was on the guy said its the speed sensor?

make sense replace it next to nothing its 20 bucks or so gl

Where is the speed sensor located on the trans?

Ok check engine light stayed on this time and i got a code p0300 when they checked it wires and plugs im sure are old wire are grey motorcraft dosent miss any untill its at full throttle at around 70-80mph.

Ok check engine light stayed on this time and i got a code p0300 when they checked it wires and plugs im sure are old wire are grey motorcraft dosent miss any untill its at full throttle at around 70-80mph.
Original plugs and wires? If so, they served the vehicle well for the past 12 years regardless of mileage. As you've probably read here, stick with the time proven OEM Motorcraft SP-500 Finewire, Autolite APP103 Double Platinum, or XP103 Iridium plugs @ .054. Your call on the wires, hard to fault Motorcraft or Autolite again. Highly recommend using a very thin coat of copper or nickel anti seize on the threads on engines with aluminum heads, and dielectric grease on both boots. Remove the passenger tire for easy access to #3 from underneath. Be patient, you'll be good for another 50-100K. GL :thumbsup:

Ok thank's truck has 147,000 mile's now

if youre still gonna replace the VSS it will be on the tailshaft of the tranny on 2X4 models. on 4 wheel drive, it will be on the drivers side top section of the transfger case.

Yeah i picked one up today I'm gonna do a full tune up on it thank's for all the help guy's.

Did it work?

Yeah replaced, coil ,plugs ,wire's air filter fuel filter not sure which was causing it to miss but it runs great now.

Back