2011 Explorer suspension creaking over speed bumps/humps *FIXED* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer suspension creaking over speed bumps/humps *FIXED*

1sttimeford

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 301
On more than one occasion I have commented to the dealer about a creaking and/or rubbing sound from the front suspension when going over speed bumps and humps. On past visits it was dismissed as irreproducible but on my most recent visit it was confirmed AND fixed!

Here is what they did. Hope this info helps anyone else experiencing this issue.

The service tech has this note on the ticket...

Road test confirms noise in front end. Visual inspection no defect found. Used chassis ear to locate noise from both lower A arms and hydrobushings going over sweeping bumps. Replace lower arms and hydrobushings per workshop manual 204-01. Check alignment ok. Retest noise gone. Internal bushing defect.

Here is the parts list of what was replaced...

1 BB5Z*3C403*A BUSHING - BRACKET
1 BB5Z*3C339*A BUSHING
1 BB5Z*3079*B ARM ASY - FRONT SUSPENSION
1 BB5Z*3078*B ARM ASY - FRONT SUSPENSION

I don't believe there is a formal TSB on this issue, but in talking with the service tech I got the impression that it has been seen enough times that the above is the prescribed remedy when encountered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 13 Sport with 1,500 miles has this! Or I think it does lol

1sttimeford,

You are fantastic! I'd buy you a beer if you were in LA. They have tried to fix this noise 4 times. Once did bumper tsb, did lube dry bushings, once did tighten something or other and once did, we give up, try turning up radio so you dont hear it. Thanks for the details!

Creaking noise?

So lately I've been hearing a creaking noise from the suspension after going through some bumpy roads and regular street speed bumps. I also here it when I'm making a right turn from very low speeds when I turn the steering wheel. Anyone got a clue what it could be?

Possibly this

11-9-12 CREAK NOISE FROM FRONT BUMPER - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/6/2011
Publication Date: September 21, 2011

FORD: 2011-2012 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 9/6/2011 may exhibit a creak noise from the front bumper area while turning and/or negotiating grade changes.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure below to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using a ChassisEAR®, verify noise is loudest at the front bumper beam.
If noise is loudest at the front bumper beam, proceed to Step 2.
If noise is not loudest at the front bumper beam, do not continue with this article. Perform normal diagnostics to identify the source of the noise. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-04.
Replace the front bumper. Refer to WSM, Section 501-19.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-17757-A Bumper Asy - Front

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110912A 2011-2012 Explorer: Replace The Front Bumper Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
17757 42

So lately I've been hearing a creaking noise from the suspension after going through some bumpy roads and regular street speed bumps. I also here it when I'm making a right turn from very low speeds when I turn the steering wheel...

Hi 1995E,

You can always swing by your dealership so they can diagnose this; they'll be happy to inspect your Explorer and make any necessary service recommendations. As always, feel free to contact me via PM if you need any additional help; I'll be here if you have questions.

Crystal

I have this creak as well. Sounds like my front end is made of plywood when I go over bumps. I've been to the dealer twice for this issue and so far no luck. I'm getting ready to just order the parts you mentioned and pay out of pocket. Funny how you get better service when warranties are not involved.

I have this creaking sound as well! Especially from the beginning right turns. After the suspension warms up, it doesn't creak anymore. Still, creaking is never a good sign to me. I hope I can reproduce mine with the dealership.

I have merged the 2 threads on the 'creaking' issue. The earlier one is at te top. Post #1 explains a possible 'fix' for this issue.

Peter

creaking noise from inside driver side when vehicle hits bumps or flexes

hello everyone! new in site as well as have a new 2014 explorer base that has this problem already (900 miles so far)....could anyone pls direct me to an existing thread if there is that may have the same annoying problem that I have...brought it to dealers service dept and was told it was't suspension problem. suspected culprit to be well inside dashboard and may take 2-3 days to work on it. appreciate all the info that I may get!!!

hello everyone! new in site as well as have a new 2014 explorer base that has this problem already (900 miles so far)....could anyone pls direct me to an existing thread if there is that may have the same annoying problem that I have...brought it to dealers service dept and was told it was't suspension problem. suspected culprit to be well inside dashboard and may take 2-3 days to work on it. appreciate all the info that I may get!!!
Welcome to the Forum fexpo2014.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM to you, I have moved your post to this existing thread on a similar issue.
There are also other threads on 'creaking' issues;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378339&highlight=creaking
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322997&highlight=creaking

You can send a PM (private message) to Crystal (FordService) who is a Ford rep that monitors this forum. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.
Good luck

Peter

Hi fexpo2014,

As Peter mentioned, I'll be happy to look into this for you. Send me a PM with your info (full name, daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, servicing dealership name/location) and I'll get to work.

Crystal

I had the creaking issue with the suspension that was fixed just as mentioned in the OP, but I now have this issue as well. There are two separate issues being discussed here.

It sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the pedals either behind the dash on the inside of the vehicle, or possibly coming from the engine compartment on the other side of the firewall. I have an appointment tomorrow so we'll see what the dealer says.

hello peterk9! thanks for the time and your moderation for this issue! seems to be that the links you attached are of different problems. nevertheless, we get to compare issues and resolution/s.
@ crystal; appreciate the fact that we have a direct ford rep that we can get in touch with....I will provide much more info if needed pending ford service depts checkup outcome.
@ xcel; BINGO!!!! exactly where that annoying noise is coming from! I had an initial apt where we bought our 2014 explorer and the tech took it out with me for a test drive to pinpoint issue...to his diagnostics at first was from suspension but eventually came back at me that it wasn't after he work on it...going back there tomorrow to leave the vehicle cause their secondary diagnostic was that it is from inside dash board and they will need 2-3 days to work on it...ford got back to them as far as a loaner for me to use.
QUESTION FOR EVERYBODY: isolated issue?

I've had my Explorer just under 2 years with 21k miles. I have had the creaking front suspension since the first 6 months. The creaking occurs while going over speed bumps and pulling into/out of driveways when the front compresses. It seems to becoming progressively worse. I finally took the Explorer to the dealership today. I was able to duplicate the noise to the technician.

After the dealership had the vehicle for the day, the service adviser called me and told me that the vehicle was done. When I asked what work was done on the suspension, I was told that things were tightened and lubricated. I was then told that the cold weather could have had an effect on it. Additionally, the adviser told me that the technician took a new Explorer for a drive and heard the creak in that front suspension. I had already explained to the technician that the creaking sound has occurred during the past 18 months during temperature ranges of 40's-80's. I did notice that the creaking didn't occur or diminished with the temperature in the 90's-100's.

When I picked the Explorer up, I was given the impression that the technician didn't take the vehicle out to verify no creak. I drove straight to some speed bumps and found that nothing had been fixed. Went back to the dealership and took the service manager out for a drive. Fortunately, I was able to demonstrate the creak to him too. I mentioned to the manager about this thread and the parts replaced in the OP's vehicle. The manager then pulled up in a brand new 2014 Explorer and took me for a test drive over the same speed bumps. The front suspension also had a creak, although to a lesser extent.

The manager had me leave the Explorer overnight and will be having a technician use a chassis ear on the vehicle and possibly lube some additional areas. I explained to the manager that if the problem couldn't be determined, I wanted to start documentation due to a number of Explorer owners experiencing this same issue.

Mine also had the same problem... After several visits to the dealer they also changed the parts metioned in post 1.

...The manager had me leave the Explorer overnight and will be having a technician use a chassis ear on the vehicle and possibly lube some additional areas...

Thanks for the update, lwolf1315; please continue to keep us posted. If you need me to step in and assist, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

The service manager used a chassis ear and narrowed the creaking sound to the lower arms. New lower arms will be replaced tomorrow and I will provide an update if the creak was eliminated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have this weird sound. The dealer said it all Explorers have this as they tested new ones on the lot to verify. They said they wrote into engineering but there is no known fix. Crystal?

Back