Pugly | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sorry to hear that my friend. There are jobs where it is never too cold... but tower work (what I do) is damned hard on the body. Perhaps there is an electrical or cellular contractor company that you could pick up some hours with?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks for the thought. :)

I'm looking for work that this old body can still handle on a Daily basis. Anything blue collar in the industrial or commercial field is behind me these days. Lol

I'll bite.
I really don't recognize that.

Not one bit.

I'll bite.
I really don't recognize that.

Not one bit.

That's the Drive gear in the T-case for the speedo gear on the VSS.

The needle is bouncing like mad because this gear has heat/age worn out plastic teeth.

$35.00 for the part, a thin wall 31mm, Cuss like a trucker and remove the rear drive flange, push the gear outwards with fingers threw the VSS gear hole, slide new gear in place, hope to God I can get the flange nut torqued back to 180-200 ft lbs with the drive train locked in 4x4. :eek:

ok, I see the threads now. The lime green almost looked like a flexible rubber. I had no clue.

Sounds like this can be very easy, or extremely painful. No middle ground.

So... Since the SAS ain't happening after being forced to sell everything, Pugly is at least getting a rear locker, Ruffstuff dif cover, and some ttb mods for more travel. Looks like I need to ask Brian1 for a d35 skid plate too. :)

Not for a couple months tho.

Bored with cabin fever lately, and the weather warmed up a bit. Got me wanting to do something to the rig. So I had some stuff laying around and decided to put together a plan for tomorrow.

Going to mount the Hi Lift jack on the roof rack using 1/2" bolts and wing nuts.

Rummaging threw the misc parts bin, I stumbled on these shock skids made for the FJ Cruiser. Forgot I had them still. Going to see if they will work for the rear lower shock mounts. Will find out tomorrow if they do or not. :dunno:

shockskids_zps8071bcb6.jpg

Found the "Pugly" build!

:popcorn:

Yeppers, the link to this thread is in my signature too. :D

So the shock skids won't really work. The edge of one cup hits the shock, and the other hits the bracket. Something like those would work if they were fabbed differently with 2 sides for the bolt and nut to pass thru. I would ask Brian1 for another set of the U-bolt skids that raise the shock mounts 3" before I bother with that tho. ;)

The Hi-Lift mount worked out great, so the day wasn't a total loss. Hi-Lift has a set of tube mounting brackets for $52.00 on Amazon, and flush mount for half that. My cost was $5.00 :thumbsup:

I used two 1/2"D-13T x 5"L all thread bolts, washers, hex nuts, and wing nuts. Drilled one hole 1/2" and another 3/4" for some side to side adjustment, to fit the main bar nicely. Bolted threw the 1.5" Sq tube, tightened it up with the lock washers and hex nuts. Slid on a poly bushing, then the jack, then a washer & wing nut. Nice and tight, and quiet to boot.

I will install a locking hitch pin made by Masterlock, threw the hole to the right of the left side wing nut and threw the sq tubing. Both as a anti theft, and safety measure if the wing nuts ever fall off. Just have to get one.

hiliftonpugly_zps6ed4dac4.jpg

She's got a nice rack! BTW

Lmao!

That's interesting. I haven't seen that shock mount before.
I have Brian1 shock skid on the black hole, and really like them. I would love another set for Pugly some day.

Edit: Looked at that pic on my cell originally. I just had a better look and followed the link. Those skids are the same as the ones Brian1 makes except, his are made to except 5/8 U-bolts, and a bigger center pin, and Warrior's use a shock stud instead of the tabs to mount to. I have no idea who made them first. :)

Yeah, I had to drill mine for the larger center pin that came with the AAL's

They are solid though, came down hard on a 14" rock and split the rock in two.

Yeah, I had to drill mine for the larger center pin that came with the AAL's

They are solid though, came down hard on a 14" rock and split the rock in two.

They are def a peace of mind mod & they are very functional. :thumbsup:

Pugly got a new rear dif cover over the weekend. The only part from the SAS project that didn't get sold, so I put it to use.

RuffStuff cover. 3/8" thick welded plate beast! Por15 treatment and coating.

Publynewdifcover_zps80f39567.jpg

Back