to flush or not to flush, that is the question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

to flush or not to flush, that is the question...

Xcape2xplore

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
So i need some advice on my tranny. My truck has 233,000 miles on it and has had started slipping a month after I bought it. I drained a bit of the fluid today because I added an additive yesterday and there was too much fluid. The fluid I drained is a dark brown color (very dirty) but there seems to be no metalic material in it. I have read not to flush a tranny that has problems, but I have also read that it may solve the problems it has. It only slips in between 2nd and 3rd gear. Let me know what you think. Appreciate any help.:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you aware of the previous owners maintenance? If it smells at all burnt I advise against doing it. If you want start with a couple quarts removed and replaced space this out over a few thousand miles. After about 5-6 quarts you replaced the quantity in the pan after 10-11 quarts you replaced all trans fluid

With that many miles I would simply drain and add fluid and the filter. Lucas products are your friend at that many miles. The flush won't fix the slipping/ flare, if anything it'll cause more issues.

The flush won't fix the slipping/ flare, if anything it'll cause more issues.
Definitely. Address the 2/3 shifting issue BEFORE "dumping" at least 5 quarts of Mercon V.

There could be a piece of debris floating around in the transmission oil which might be hanging up the valve body or a governor, it might be why the transmission is slipping.

The best way to flush all of the old fluid out on that tranny is to take the return line off of the radiator and run a hose into a bucket. You need to add new transmission fluid in as the old fluid is coming out into the pail.

Once it's bright red, all of the old fluid is out. There are YouTube videos that will show you how to do this. Change the tranny filter too.

A fluid change won't hurt the transmission, transmissions get damaged due to neglect. Hope this helps you out.

There could be a piece of debris floating around in the transmission oil which might be hanging up the valve body or a governor, it might be why the transmission is slipping.

The best way to flush all of the old fluid out on that tranny is to take the return line off of the radiator and run a hose into a bucket. You need to add new transmission fluid in as the old fluid is coming out into the pail.

Once it's bright red, all of the old fluid is out. There are YouTube videos that will show you how to do this. Change the tranny filter too.

A fluid change won't hurt the transmission, transmissions get damaged due to neglect. Hope this helps you out.

ok don't laugh but I have it sounds like this is a two person job while the truck is running in park right? And do you need any special tools?

I will never flush again. Do it a couple of quarts at a time until the fluid looks better. Then drop the pan and replace the filter.

It could totally be coincidence, but I have had two tranny's die after a flush.

I will never flush again. Do it a couple of quarts at a time until the fluid looks better. Then drop the pan and replace the filter.

It could totally be coincidence, but I have had two tranny's die after a flush.
Were both transmissions serviced because of previous shifting issues prior to flushing? If so, you're not the first.

Just serviced due to high mileage and a desire to make them last.

With my Sport Trac I got it used with 35K. I started changing out fluid with each oil change until it looked nice and new. Around 50K I dropped the pan and change the filter. Now I just keep the fluid looking nice and new by sucking out a couple of quarts every other oil change.

I did about four quarts. It didn't fix the problem, but it still runs. I will probably replace about 4 more quarts in december and then do the filter in March when I have the money to replace the tranny in case it goes out. Thank guys for the help.

So after doing the four quarts and an additive a couple of months ago, It seems to have worked. About a week ago, it stopped slipping and has been running great. I think it just took a while to work.

With that many miles I would simply drain and add fluid and the filter. Lucas products are your friend at that many miles. The flush won't fix the slipping/ flare, if anything it'll cause more issues.
I second that. Was having no troubles with mine but thought a flush would be a good thing (125K) ....3 months later I have a new transmission. Of course it is always possible it would have gone out anyhow.

Call me stupid but why would a flush ruin your trans

This is one of the most highly debated subjects on auto forums, EF included. There are countless articles on the internet regarding flush vs. fill, just search. IMO, if under 100K with fluid that "appears" clean without smelling burnt, a filter change followed by a complete fluid exchange is the best service possible. The term "flush" is somewhat misleading, many transmission techs use a machine such as the BG PF-5 that is not powered, and uses the vehicles transmission pump for exchanging the fluid via radiator tranny cooler lines. My small local Ford dealer performed this service using 20 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V, MC filter, and MC gasket for $199. The cost of materials alone made this an absolute no brainer.

Here's just two articles regarding transmission service. GL

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100456.htm

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/238

getting mine done today. kinda scared now....
For all i know my transmission was going to go out anyhow. Bought mine used but it had signs of being well cared for. The tranny flush was a waste of cash for me. How many miles on yours?

I'd say at 218K, your 5R55E has served you extremely well. How does the fluid smell and appear?

Has it ever been serviced? If not, only a pan drop and filter change is probably in your best interest. GL

It came out, no bad smell and no particles when it was drained. Dropped the pan and replaced the filter as well. Drives a lot better

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It came out, no bad smell and no particles when it was drained. Dropped the pan and replaced the filter as well. Drives a lot better
You're doing something right. Whatever you do, don't change your driving routine. ;) Congrats!

Back