• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate lock operations

ramren16

Reaction score
City, State
greeley, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
This May sound stupid but I have owned my X for over 10 years now and never used the key to open the liftgate. How do I operate the lock? again it's a stupid question, when locked I put the key in and I try turning and even pushing and turning but key no turn. So pretent the key works. Do I just stick the key in and turn to unlock liftgate? Do I push and turn to unlock glass? Not quite sure on the locking/locking procedures. Any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you never use it probably is stuck. I would first spray some oil like WD40 into the lock and test it again. turning to one side unlocks the tailgate, to the other the glass, as marked then either push the button to open the glass or pull the handle to open the tailgate.

the lock parts are full of crud. if wd40 doesn't free it up you may need to take the lock off and clean it out.

if you never use it probably is stuck. I would first spray some oil like WD40 into the lock and test it again. turning to one side unlocks the tailgate, to the other the glass, as marked then either push the button to open the glass or pull the handle to open the tailgate.

Didn't realize there was any marks on it must be very small not obvious print I will have to go out and investigate thanks

WD40 the heck out of the thing. Probably caked in dirt.

tailgate lock

Didn't realize there was any marks on it must be very small not obvious print I will have to go out and investigate thanks

I went out to check my X 99 sohc 4 door. you are right no marks, I got confused with the 97 X which does have , marks on the handle, left for the glass right for the door. It has been a long time since I used the key in that lock and it didn't turn to unlock it on the first or second try, took out the key turned it around and it turned. here is how it works turn clockwise and it unlocks both glass and door, counterclockwise (left) locks both.
hope it helps.

Back