• Register Today It's free!

Body lift 01 sport

Cjfisher

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
So far it's been pretty easy with some tough parts here and there. Steering linkage was a pita. My steering wheel is upside down at the moment bc my brother In law let it go when I disconnected it. Dumb a. Ran into another snag of the rear body mounts are just spinning when I try to unbolt them. I'm picking up an oil filter removal claw to fix that. I currently have two mounts off. Took a break yesterday due to frustration and having to set up Christmas decore :) hopefully will make some headway when the mrs gets home. Wish me l

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good luck! i think it looks loads better with the lift on it, but maybe i'm biased ;)

I wrapped up my BL install a couple of weeks ago. The hardest part was one of the body mounts started spinning as I was removing the bolts. I rigged up a flat screwdriver with vice grips on the end. I jammed the screwdriver in between the body and the body mount, then twisted it 45 degrees using the vice grips for leverage. This created enough of a pinch to keep the body mount from twisting. Also make sure you heat up the bolts to loosen the factory-applied thread lock.

Good luck!

Mine was a huge PITA as well. The front 2 were nightmares. The left side bolt fought me for every single degree of rotation- BIG breaker bar too. I was relieved when the right side bolt snapped. Replacement mounts are reasonably inexpensive.

Everything else was pretty simple. I only went with 2" to avoid the steering linkage issue (expense). And I made my own radiator relocation brackets.

Ok I have a question do you use the old body mount bushings? And can anyone give me their # if I have questions? Shoot just text me w ur name 858-997-6744 it's driving me up the wall lol

I too just did my body lift last weekend and had a few stubborn body bolts also. I tried everything from a pickle fork to c clamps but a good pair of vise grips seams to have worked the best. I usually work on my truck by myself but to get these bolts out I could not do it with out a helper.

I reused all body bushings in the original locations. This seams to be correct.

My lift is done but I still have a lot to do. I need to do both bumpers and from what I can tell I will need to replace/lengthen my trans cooler lines.

So I contacted the ford dealer about the btf bushings are stupid expensive... so I went to the INTERNET lol found universal mounts for 26 bucks. Dealer wanted 199!!!!! I almost choked when they told me that. anyways I picked up an oil filter removal with vice grips. cant wait to finish it and see the fruit of my frustration!!!!

And that's why we call it "The Stealership". :)

2TT - my front two mounts were a nightmare too. Took me about 10 hours to break them. I had a 4 foot pipe on my breaker bar and was WALKING with the pipe and couldn't crack them. Took a torch, BFH, tons of PB, and letting them sit overnight to finally win that battle.

Ok update I took the advice from here n bought oil filter vice grips and have taken off 2 with in a few mins. Please pray to the ford gods for me need my truck by Monday at the latest

I soaked them in pb for the past 2 nights and torched the snot out of them as well. My brother in law was scared to use it the other day bc he thought it would set the bushings on fire lol

UPDATE!!!!

So I was really motivated tonight with my brother in law! finished removing all of the BTF mounts including the royal PITA front passenger core mount. The driver side came off pretty easily.. I jacked up the passenger side and started installing the BL pucks!
Does anyone know if it matters with the different size screws? Anyways I have the passenger side pretty much buttoned down with out tqing it just yet. Ill keep yall posted!!!

UPDATE!!!!

So I was really motivated tonight with my brother in law! finished removing all of the BTF mounts including the royal PITA front passenger core mount. The driver side came off pretty easily.. I jacked up the passenger side and started installing the BL pucks!
Does anyone know if it matters with the different size screws? Anyways I have the passenger side pretty much buttoned down with out tqing it just yet. Ill keep yall posted!!!

What kit did you get? Ranger or sport trac?

we used the sport trac one on mine... had to modify the brackets for the rear bumper and trim part of the front bumper to put on the front brackets, but the front end of the sport and trac are the same

we used the sport trac one on mine... had to modify the brackets for the rear bumper and trim part of the front bumper to put on the front brackets, but the front end of the sport and trac are the same

Same here used all bolts that went to the corresponding locations and threw the bed bolts away I think

Good luck. Did my 01 Sport with the PA 883 Ranger kit last year. A short write up with some observations over here, in case there's anything there that can help you. At least you're not dealing with all the road salt inspired rust.

:exp:

Ranger 883 was used for this one. I drove around this week w no bumpers lol stayed up late last night and took care of the front bumper and facia the grinder was fun lol had to drill some holes but all in all was pretty easy.
I'm really not looking forward to the rear brackets hopefully they will bend pretty easy for me.

Wish me luck!! BTW the pics are on the Facebook group if interested!

Back