2011 Explorer suspension creaking over speed bumps/humps *FIXED* | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer suspension creaking over speed bumps/humps *FIXED*

I too have this weird sound. The dealer said it all Explorers have this as they tested new ones on the lot to verify. They said they wrote into engineering but there is no known fix. Crystal?

Send me your information in a PM, csimon; I'm on the case! I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too have this weird sound. The dealer said it all Explorers have this as they tested new ones on the lot to verify. They said they wrote into engineering but there is no known fix. Crystal?
I don't think what you were told that all Explorer have this is correct. I haven't heard anything at all, even with my hearing aids turned ON. :D
Some members with this issue have had it fixed. I see Crystal has already been in touch with you. Boy, she is on the really ball today.:biggthump

Peter

My service department initially tried to explain the noise in my Explorer off as being common in other Explorers, including a brand new one sitting on their lot in which they took me on a test drive and demonstrated the noise. I explained that there must be a design flaw or faulty parts because a fairly new $40k+ vehicle should not sound like a jalopy going over speed bumps. After further stating my case and citing what I have discovered on this forum, the service manager agreed to use a chassis ear and narrowed the noise down to the lower arm assemblies. New lower arms/bushings are on order.

There are no speed bumps around my dealership. Does anyone know another way to replicate the sound?

I looked around a several block radius of the dealership to find speed bumps, knowing that I would have to demonstrate during a test drive or I would be told that a technician could not reproduce it. I finally located some in a shopping center a short distance from the dealership in a neighboring city and they got the job done. The only other time that I have heard the creak noise is pulling into/out of driveways where there is a grade difference, causing the front suspension to compress. Manually pushing up and down on the front suspension like my service manager initially attempted did not reproduce the noise.

There are no speed bumps around my dealership. Does anyone know another way to replicate the sound?

O.K. This probably isn't very helpful, but what popped into my mind was that eventually I'd get pissed off enough that I'd go to their tire rack, knock 'em all off and make a little speed bump obstacle course with them.

New lower arm assembly and bushings did the trick. Explorer now sounds like a fairly new $40k vehicle should going over speed bumps.

New lower arm assembly and bushings did the trick. Explorer now sounds like a fairly new $40k vehicle should going over speed bumps.
Nice to see a positive outcome and that the dealer was able to fix this issue for you. Enjoy your ride.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Since I am doing this out of warranty I am trying to save some $.... do you think I can get away with just replacing the bushings and not the arms?

We have what are called "speed humps" in my town. They are on every street thanks to the wisdom of City Council! My 2014 XLT has had this creaking noise over the "humps" since it was brand new. It doesn't do it at any other time.

Since mine is a leased vehicle and I see no degradation in the ride or any safety concern, I'm not going to do anything with it and just turn the vehicle back in at lease end.

Just out of curiosity, what is supposedly wrong with the lower control arms? I doubt that anything is going to fall off of the car.

I have a 2014 limited and the noise was very noticeable in the fall of 2014. I took it to the dealership two times and they replaced a strut, then lubed a bushing. Neither fix worked. Then I found this forum and took the information with me to the dealership. Even with this information the service department decided to try two other remedies with no success. Then they decided to replace the lower control arms. The results were successful, however the noise has now returned. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully the dealer will fix it again. Sure glad I bought an extended warranty.

If you notice this happen more in the cold weather than summer. I think it's cuased by weather deferential...?

2013 explorer with this issue. couple of questions - does this sound indicate a potential mechanical failure? what was the cost associated with fix#1 (out of pocket expense)
thanks

Back