Tire chains for 20" wheels? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire chains for 20" wheels?

I've been driving in the snow for over 40 years. Only once, three years ago, did I have to place chains on my four wheel drive 2004 Cayenne. The driveway to the condo in Brian Head Utah is full or ruts, mud and slush. It is also steep. The cable chains provided just enough extra traction to get us up this through this ridiculous junk. One thing I learned is that if you use chains on a FWD/AWD vehicle, it is advisable to chain all four wheels. Apparently, chains on only two drive wheels causes the traction control modules to be confused sending torque to the wrong drive wheels. The internet is full of research on this and of course, their are differing opinions. My feeling now is that if the AWD doesn't get me to where I need to go safely, I probably ought to turn around and wait. I'll just carry the chains for inspection purposes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I was thinking is that in emergency situation, putting cables on front, then activating sand mode will turn off traction control and force all power to all wheels.

I agree

I have the 2011 Limited with 20's. I also drive 50 and 80 in the winter. Just have a cheap pair in a case with you at all times. This is the current law. If the alert is mandatory to have chains on then I will not be on the road. There is just not enough clearance even with cables. YOu will most likely damage the vehicle.

California Tire Chain Requirements

In the California mountains we have what is called R2 chain requirements which states that all vehicles EXCEPT 4WD or AWD with snow tires on all four wheels must use chains. 4WD and AWD vehicles MUST carry chains in the vehicle even if they don't need to be used. When it really gets bad they will call for R3 chain control which means that EVERYBODY (regardless of whether or not you have 4WD or AWD) must have chains installed on the driving wheels. R3 requirements are rare but they do happen here. Not sure why Ford didn't take into consideration that people with 4WD/AWD might want to use their Explorers in the snow and might require the use of chains.

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer 4 wheel drive. I tested some s CC cable chains on the rear and they will definitely sever the brake line if used.there is more clearance to use them on the front axles. I live in California, I drive to Mammoth 10 * a year. Before the CHP requires you to put chains on a 4 wheel drive vehicle with all wheel all season tires, they will close the road. So all you need to do is carry them to get past a checkpoint but you will not have to use them because before you do they will close the road.

2014 Explore manual states no chains, cables or traction devices should be used on 20". It states cables should be used for smaller tires, I think this is specifically for the chrome wheels, so they don't get chipped. I do not know why but the brake line post above makes the most sense on why no traction devices on 20" wheels.

2014 Explore manual states no chains, cables or traction devices should be used on 20". It states cables should be used for smaller tires, I think this is specifically for the chrome wheels, so they don't get chipped. I do not know why but the brake line post above makes the most sense on why no traction devices on 20" wheels.
Welcome to the Forum Eyetalian.:wavey:
I have added the quote to which your makes reference.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

Also you must consider rotating mass. Chains have more mass than cables.....either way when the tires rotate the cables/chains will be pulled outward due to centrifugal force. thus flailing of the chain and or cable will almost certainly contact the lower spring perches and brake lines causing extensive damage!

So, if I've got a 2012 limited 2 wheel drive only what am I supposed to do if it's snowing and there are chain requirements? If I had known that I couldn't put chains / cables on, I definitely would not have purchased this vehicle.

Get a set of steel rims with quality snow tires or write the state to get a waiver for that requirement based on mfgrs prohibition on the use of the chains or cables. I would have researched the vehicle better and made better informed purchase based one environmental factors! That is one reason I refused to buy my Ex with 20" wheels, Tire replacement cost, Maintenance and limitations of use.

Get a set of steel rims with quality snow tires or write the state to get a waiver for that requirement based on mfgrs prohibition on the use of the chains or cables. I would have researched the vehicle better and made better informed purchase based one environmental factors! That is one reason I refused to buy my Ex with 20" wheels, Tire replacement cost, Maintenance and limitations of use.
If someone really wanted the Limited for its extra features but didn't want the 20" wheels, they could just replace the wheels with 18" or the 17" that I use on my Limited for my Winter tires and use them instead. As I've mentioned a few times, when I ordered my Limited, I wished 17" wheels were an option.
In my case I'm not at all concerned with wearing out the 20" tires. I have only 14 months left on my 48 month lease and a total of 6600 miles on the all-seasons thanks in part to using Winter tires as well. :D
I'm keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that the 17" wheels will fit the 2015 model if I get one.

Peter

You can also search out eBay as an option. On my 18" there is about an inch or so between the top of the tire and the underside of the spring perch. I know that either Tire Rack or Discount tire you can get a 17" wheel/snow tire combo mounted/balanced and shipped for a reasonable price.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterWheels.jsp?skipTires=true

If I only have the 2wd version of the limited is there enough clearance on the front wheels to install scc cable chains?

Not with 20" wheels. I have 18" on my XLT and I have around 2" of clearance

Tire chains for 2013 Explorer limited with 20 inch wheels

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited AWD and was not aware until after I bought the vehicle that you cannot use chains or cables with the 20" tires that came on the vehicle. Apparently there are clearance issues with the brake lines and possibly suspension parts as well. My plan was to put 18" tires and wheels and swap out the 20" in the winter. This brought up issues of where to store the tires that were not in use, having to pay to swap them out, TPMS issues and possible errors in the speedo due to the smaller tires. In looking around I found something called Thule K-Summit XXL traction devices. For my Explorer the size is K67 (tire size 255 50 20). These fit on the outside and on top of the tire and nothing hangs over on the back side to get caught on brake lines etc. I test installed these yesterday and they are very easy to install and remove. You need to make sure you make the necessary adjustments before you actually need them as the same size is used for many different size tires. Once I made the adjustments I installed both of them in about 8 minutes. You do not need to jack up the car or crawl underneath. I haven't used them in snow yet but they look like they should be fine. They are not cheap ($550) but cheaper than buying a set of tires and wheels. Prices vary on the internet. I bought mine at Amazon for $430 and the next day they were up to $558. One local vendor was asking $620 so look around.

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited AWD and was not aware until after I bought the vehicle that you cannot use chains or cables with the 20" tires that came on the vehicle. Apparently there are clearance issues with the brake lines and possibly suspension parts as well. My plan was to put 18" tires and wheels and swap out the 20" in the winter. This brought up issues of where to store the tires that were not in use, having to pay to swap them out, TPMS issues and possible errors in the speedo due to the smaller tires. In looking around I found something called Thule K-Summit XXL traction devices. For my Explorer the size is K67 (tire size 255 50 20). These fit on the outside and on top of the tire and nothing hangs over on the back side to get caught on brake lines etc. I test installed these yesterday and they are very easy to install and remove. You need to make sure you make the necessary adjustments before you actually need them as the same size is used for many different size tires. Once I made the adjustments I installed both of them in about 8 minutes. You do not need to jack up the car or crawl underneath. I haven't used them in snow yet but they look like they should be fine. They are not cheap ($550) but cheaper than buying a set of tires and wheels. Prices vary on the internet. I bought mine at Amazon for $430 and the next day they were up to $558. One local vendor was asking $620 so look around.

Thanks for the info wedtwuk. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear about your experience with the K67s after you've had a chance to use them. Also, did you buy one pair and if so, are you placing them on the front tires? What are your thoughts about that? You're opinion is greatly appreciated as I'm considering the K67s for my '14 Explorer Sport.

Also want to open it up to any Sport owners, please chime in if you have experience with any traction devices such as the K67s. I know the Sport sits a little lower than all other trims so I'm wondering if that is a cause for concern.

Thanks All.

Just went to Les Schwab to trade in the old chains from my Subaru for a new set for my 2011 Limited AWD. For reasons already mentioned, chains or cables are not recommended so this is what they sell now for traction devices on 20" tires.

http://www.autosock.com/en/

Anyone have any comments or expreience?

Hey guys,

Just to get clarification.

I bought a 2016 Explorer Platinum with the 20 inch wheels. I had to sign a document at the dealer letting me know to NEVER install any kind of traction devices on the vehicle.

It said to consult with the owner's manual. After doing that it appears there are no options for chains/cables which won't void the warranty if something happens.

Am I understanding things correctly?

Thanks!
Otto

No, you are not understanding it correctly. The Manual states that only certain approved chains may be used. See page 323 of the Owner's Manual (2nd print).
Do you still have the 2008 Honda? If not, please enter the 2016 Explorer Platinum in your profile or add it to your signature. Thanks and congrats on the new ride.:thumbsup:

Peter

No, you are not understanding it correctly. The Manual states that only certain approved chains may be used. See page 323 of the Owner's Manual (2nd print).
Do you still have the 2008 Honda? If not, please enter the 2016 Explorer Platinum in your profile or add it to your signature. Thanks and congrats on the new ride.:thumbsup:

Peter

OK, thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure that clears things up.

It looks like I have to get a different tire in order to use traction devices.

"Only certain chains or snow cables have been approved by Ford as safe for use on your vehicle with the following wheel and tire combination(s): 18”x8”x44mm Wheel and P245/60 R18 Tire. You should only install chains or cables that have been rated as 10 mm or less in dimension as measured
on the sidewall of your tire."

The tires on my Explorer are 255/50/20 I believe. The manual offers no guidance for that size tire.

I guess I'll ask the dealer because the manual doesn't actually show a list of "approved" chains/cables to use anyway. It's not a big deal. I go to the snow maybe twice a year. If they are forcing chains on 4WD vehicles I'll turn around. I'd imagine they close the roads right after that anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure that clears things up.

It looks like I have to get a different tire in order to use traction devices.

"Only certain chains or snow cables have been approved by Ford as safe for use on your vehicle with the following wheel and tire combination(s): 18”x8”x44mm Wheel and P245/60 R18 Tire. You should only install chains or cables that have been rated as 10 mm or less in dimension as measured
on the sidewall of your tire."

The tires on my Explorer are 255/50/20 I believe. The manual offers no guidance for that size tire.

I guess I'll ask the dealer because the manual doesn't actually show a list of "approved" chains/cables to use anyway. It's not a big deal. I go to the snow maybe twice a year. If they are forcing chains on 4WD vehicles I'll turn around. I'd imagine they close the roads right after that anyway.

I guess you don't get that much snow on the Bay area anyway but you could if you go up into the higher elevations. It would help if you added 'Platinum' to the profile so any answers to future posts will take the trim into account.
I have OEM 20" but throw on 18" steelies for Winter. Good luck.
BTW, my sister lives in San Jose.

Peter

Back