recommend sub(s) for my amp?

Xeek

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
so ive had this power acoustik cpt4 1400 laying around for awhile. got it free and it does work. been wanting to put it in the ranger. i know nothing about sound and how to pick out a sub for the amp. i want a 10" or 12" sub, maybe two subs? whatever an expert thinks is best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It all depends on the music you listen to. I would put no more than 10s to it bridged in 2ohm mode and run your fronts off the other 2 channels. I know its says 1400 watts but you will never get it to put that out. It is rated at 480 in 4ohm stereo so don't push it. I have been a car audio installer since 1991 and am MECP Master Certified. If you have any questions just ask and i will answer as best I can.

He answered it perfectly. ^

A 10 inch is more punchy, where as a 12 inch will give you a more deep sound. I personally prefer the punchy-ness of a 10.

I mix up what I listen to honestly.
I know ill never see 1400w lol. Am I safe to say 2 amps at 250w each? 2ohm but svc or dvc?

And what do you mean by my fronts? Just the door speakers? I have speakers in the rear also, am I gonna be not using them out something?

I mix up what I listen to honestly.
I know ill never see 1400w lol. Am I safe to say 2 amps at 250w each? 2ohm but svc or dvc?

And what do you mean by my fronts? Just the door speakers? I have speakers in the rear also, am I gonna be not using them out something?

I'll tell you my opinion I guess.
At 1400W max, you can safely run 2, 300 Watt Max subs, without a problem.
You can run either coil.
Just get something at a good price.
SonicElectronics is having a 3 day sale that ends tomorrow, great sub deals.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you would rather have 12's than 10's. If I had your amp, I would pop in two Kicker C124 (10C124)'s or JL Audio 12WXv2-4. Very simple and good quality subs.

It all depends on the music you listen to. I would put no more than 10s to it bridged in 2ohm mode and run your fronts off the other 2 channels. I know its says 1400 watts but you will never get it to put that out. It is rated at 480 in 4ohm stereo so don't push it. I have been a car audio installer since 1991 and am MECP Master Certified. If you have any questions just ask and i will answer as best I can.

that amp is not 2 ohm stable bridged. 4 ohm bridged per pair. And why no more than 10's? That makes no sense at all. You're master certified?

The amp isn't the greatest but you can certainly use it. Each pair of channels can be bridged to 4 ohms. I would get 2 subs rated around 250 watts rms.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45051_JBL-CS1214.html

I just bought a 1000 watt power acoustic amp from a friend. It will not come close to the
power of my JL Audio 500/1. It barely pushes one Pioneer 800 watt 10 inch DVC sub. The JL Audio will make the same sub sound way louder. Old school amps will beat most of the cheap Chinese crap you see today

r1l2x12.jpg

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23443_Rockford-Fosgate-R1L-2X10.html

more than enough

and Master Certified has the least to do with it, some guys that just putter around and build systems don't go to school to learn this stuff, they just know what works, from experience,

and Master Certified has the least to do with it, some guys that just putter around and build systems don't go to school to learn this stuff, they just know what works, from experience,

This ^

Most of the best installers did not study sound.
It's like a good mechanic, they started when they were young, learned from their fathers and started up their own shops. That's how industries like that work.
Sound is the same. You learn by doing and trying.

Pete knows.

And then there are people like me, who just think they know everything. :D

I would recommend a Good Single 12" Svc 4 Ohm sub and a Custom 4th Order Bass Reflex Or better know as A Ported Enclosure Tuned to the Sub Specs . With sub facing the rear or side and same for the port , if you point the port towards a corner or area for it to resonate off of , it will be much louder than a standard sealed enclosure or box , Use the Rear Output for the sub on the amp , Set the Gain on the amp no more than 11 O clock , set the low pass to 50 , And make sure the amp is on the Low pass setting as well , Do not use the bass boost on the amp , it puts out a very dirty or Distorted signal to the woofer and could create more heat which will lower the life of the sub , I would Recommend this sub , only because Its a Quality brand , good price and a Higher Rms rating Than the Amp Itself in the case you decide to upgrade to a bigger better amp down the road .. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68774_Precision-Power-SN.12.html

Also , For that Sub , You will need a box with At least 2.0 Cu Ft Displacement before the woofer is mounted , You can get box measurements and ideas from this site , Its the First Design on the link , the most Typical style of 4th order - Ported enclosure .http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes4.asp

Hope the link on the box helps , I know many people who just stick a sub in a prefabricated sealed box from a store and wonder why it does not sound as good as someones home made box ! .

If you're looking for bang for the buck and aren't looking to invest in high-end subs to use with a better amp later on, some of the best deals are at Best Buy, they have Pioneer/Polk/Kicker subs for $20-30 every so often, and sometimes even have enclosures for under $20. You can also check your local store for clearance/closeout deals too, sometimes a store will have something that isn't on sale/clearance nationally.

Also check out your local stereo shops as well, sometimes they have old stock that has been sitting around for ages, either subs, enclosures, or even a loaded enclosure.

simple and elegant is good,

can i like the two posts right above this one ??
good sound advice ,,

i always go overboard, and take forever to tune all the damn homemade crossovers to get my end result,,

Back