What are the usual oil leaks on a 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the usual oil leaks on a 4.0 SOHC?

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
Before I go in and search, just want to sample what everyone has found for oil leaks on thier ST's.

I have a burning smell, no smoke yet, and it's starting to use a little oil. I noticed some oil on the driver's side frame a week ago when servicing the front brakes.

So, before taking things off and going on an expidition, I'm looking for past experiences to help me look in the right places.

Many Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2 on the valve cover gaskets. Also check your oil pan gasket if it's got a lot of miles. Mine doesn't leak but it's showing thru the seams.

Great info as usual Steve. Good call shooter.
I just purchased an '02 Sport with an slight oil leak(a 1/2 cap-full overnight on driveway). Man, this thing has been leaking for sometime. It is covered under there with so much oil (dried up old and fresh). I don't know what has been replaced and what hasn't. No service records:(
Definitely needs valve cover gaskets. (Wish me luck with that)
I never even thought about the PCV valve. Good call.
But it's so filthy under her that it could ALSO be -rear main seal, oil filter housing?, possibly double gasket o-ring on oil filter, lower oil pan gasket, upper pan gasket, or all of the above. ITS EVERYWHERE!!!:) But, I love it. I bought it for my oldest daughter.
Steve, you would have a heart attack looking at this. So, I will spare you the pics.
Chepsk8, I am getting drips onto the exhaust manifolds and catalytic converter heat shields (both sides). You can definitely smell it and it smokes just a little.
****You could try the dye that goes in your oil and use the special yellow glasses and UV light to track that leak. Auto parts store should have a kit. Doesn't cost much. I am going to do this as-well.

LOL Mark! I'm not that "****" ;) about cleaning, it just seems that way. Two things that bother me are working around caked on grease and suspension rattles. Surprised you overlooked the PCV valve. Of all the engine work I've done, replacing it was a one of the biggest PITA's for me. Awkward angles, tight space, and those damn OEM hose clamps. I must have been frustrated, went back two weeks later and it was barely tightened in the valve cover. Man, won't you
be kicking yourself if it turns out to be the source of your oil leak all this time. :scratch:

Be aware that the front pinion seal fails often spinning oil seep from time to time also grease from torn cv axle boots those too I have dealt with both drivers side too.

oil leak

check the pcv valve that is behind the intake manifold on the drivers side, it could be the source of your oil leak

Back