• Register Today It's free!

Anti knock sensor

kevin p

Reaction score
City, State
Telford Shropshire England
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.o sohc
Can anyone confirm that their UK spec Explorer has an anti knock sensor fitted? Mine dosn't seem to have one!!!! I've looked with a borescope at the location where it should be, and I just can't see it.
The wiring connector isn't there on mine. It should be on the bracket next to the fuel regulator.
Any help is appreciated.
Kev.
p.s. Mine is an early 97.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry Kev took me a while to answer this one, I should have jumped on it straight away as it was discussed a little on oner of my threads http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291852&highlight=Knock+sensor. I have had 97 and 98 engines apart and neither had the knock sensor. In my thread Dale posted a pic of the sensor and asked that question. I assume that it may be due to our higher octane in the uk.

You're a Star Jan. At least I can rule that out now. The Ex has an annoying stumble sometimes when excelerating briskly. But not always!!!!!!
Thanks very much.

Is it the engine or possibly the transmission, could be a slip on the bands?
If you think its engine related and only happens on brisk accel I would be looking at Vac lines, TPS, spark, egr or even IAC, not necessarily in that order. Any pending codes?? Of course it could also be lambda/fuel related

Just had the left oxygen sensor heater go, so i've replaced both with bosch ones. It was doing it before though. Its had brand new throttle body with tps, idle speed valve, and plugs. Egr is working properly [done all the tests on it]. Fuel pressure is at the minimum spec. Rises when pressure regulator vacuum is disconnected. Even had a pressure guage strapped to the front bullbar to observe what it was reading. All the sensors have been tested as ok, ohms and voltage. New fuel filter. Gearbox isn't slipping, just the engine bogs down.
Maf cleaned [again]. Iat sensor tested as ok.
Only observation I've noticed is, it used to start instantly on the key from cold but now takes a second or so.
Been trying to get a decent price on a bosch fuel pump. Don't want to try a cheap one.
Any other ideas are welcome.

try it without the vacum pipe connected to the fuel reg, as you stated could be low pressure from the fuel pump, i bought a walbro 255lph from states for 85 quid

I've run it with the vacuum disconnected and it still does it. Can you tell me the walbro pump number you got? There seems to be a few that fit the Explorer. Thanks.

If it just bogs down this does say to me either fuel starved or possibility of spark problem. Have you metered the coil pack or inspected it. I have one in the garage if you want me to post you that to rule it out
Jan

Thanks for the offer Jan. I've had the coil pack off, and done all the resistant checks. I realise electrical issues sometimes show up once things have warmed up. pm sent.

I've run it with the vacuum disconnected and it still does it. Can you tell me the walbro pump number you got? There seems to be a few that fit the Explorer. Thanks.

i cant rmember that number or find it, im sure i searched for it on here, this was over 3 years ago i had done that

Back