• Register Today It's free!

Battery overcharging?

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Is this moisture surrounding my batter terminal normal? Could it be from the alternator overcharging the battery? [I read that on a mercedes forum].

11395546723_255661578f_b.jpg

20131211_155444 by tankertrans, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, if there is a problem with my battery is it covered under the 3 year/36k warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Also, if there is a problem with my battery is it covered under the 3 year/36k warranty?

Thanks in advance.

No. It's considered a wear item. If it died in the first year...maybe. Not on a 2011, unless you find a very generous dealer which is unlikely.

It could be caused by a number of things - bad cell, condensation from cold to warm, bad seal, overcharging, etc.

If it were me, I'd change it out for an Optima or Interstate.

Thanks in advance.
The battery on my 2011 was replaced in March 2013 under warranty.

Peter

It is likely acid from your battery and could be caused by overcharging, but that is actually quite common on flooded batteries as they age. They are not sealed, so they can vent during overcharging or even very hot situations or during extreme vibration. We suggest typical alternator output to be in the range of about 13.7-14.7 volts.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Battery is not a wear item and is covered under the 3yr/36k. After that, it is out of pocket. If you BUY a battery from Ford after the fact, it is covered for the same 3 yr 100%, up to 7 years prorated.

No that is not normal, I have a 13 and they had to change my battery out under warranty. It died on my and was building up a lot of corrosion on the terminals.

My 13 had the Battery go bad and would not hold a charge. It was replaced last week under warranty.....but still it was an aggravation when it wouldn't start. Ford's component quality is still suspect.....

Back