Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

SHO intake from Airaid fits right in with no hassle.

That is the one I bought. Has nothing to do with it. The wire isn't long enough on the sport. Sent it back. Waste of time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the one I bought. Has nothing to do with it. The wire isn't long enough on the sport. Sent it back. Waste of time
Something definitely wrong here. You and Sport owner both have a Sport yet one can't get it to work and the other can.:scratch:

Peter

The temp sensor on mine just barely reached with enough room to spare. Unless they changed the harness at some point or just installed a little different would make a difference. Literally if mine was a half an inch shorter it wouldnt have made the connection.

The temp sensor on mine just barely reached with enough room to spare. Unless they changed the harness at some point or just installed a little different would make a difference. Literally if mine was a half an inch shorter it wouldnt have made the connection.

I unclipped one clip that was holding the temp sensor wire to another group of wires and I then had plenty of room to make the connection. I didn't have to cut or splice any wires.
Again to the guy that sent his back, all you had to do is un clip one clip and it would have fit. I know you are going to say no, but they did not make your temp sensor wire shorter then anyone else's. You just didn't work at it.

I took all the clips off. Even took the electrical tape off and still didn't have enough room. I'm mechanically inclined. O well. Didn't work.

Any comments on the sound after intake install for a sport? I'm more interested in a little noise than I am any potential HP gain but I can't seem to find any videos online.

Any comments on the sound after intake install for a sport? I'm more interested in a little noise than I am any potential HP gain but I can't seem to find any videos online.

The Airaid is subtly louder than the stock air box. It's noticeable under part throttle input or heavier loads. When cruising no difference. Full throttle the spooling of the turbos is slightly evident.

Any new intakes out there? Surely someone else has developed something. I'm new to forced induction. Better flow = more flow = more particles getting past filter. Is there any worry of larger particles damaging turbos like in diesel applications. I've ran K&N drop ins on every gas engine I've owned. So naturally I've looked at 33-2395 first, I see some are running 69-3531TS. I don't plan on exhaust and a tune is unlikely. Anyone with longer term experience with either of these? Anyone recommend an intake not yet listed? Would prefer vehicle specific.

Anyone notice that Airaid now magically has an intake specifically for the Sport?

P/N 400-260 and 401-260 for dry filter.

Yes. I saw that on their, Airaid's, website. Different part number too.

CAI installed

very surprised at how quiet it is.

Attachments

• 20140404_164131.jpg
    20140404_164131.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 971
  • 20140404_164148.jpg
    20140404_164148.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 952

2013 Explorer Sport K&N CAI Install

^^^

file_zps1f7610d7.jpg

Finally, found the time to install the K&N CAI on the 3.5L Ecoboost.

file_zpsad260613.jpg

Easy install except for one issue; after I got the thing out out of the box and did an inventory of the parts, I noticed the rubber grommet needed to install on the inlet tube was missing. I was not impressed and called the K&N's 1-800 number, told them what was wrong, they asked for some numbers off the box and told me they had had some packing issues with that kit and apologized and offered to OVERNIGHT courier the grommet. I thanked them for the offer but told them I was going to try to source the grommet locally, as I wanted to finish the install and would call them back in 30 mins if I could not find one. The Customer Service dude gave me his extension.

There was a member on my Mustang Board that posted a while ago that Lowes had and automotive fastener section and I thought I would try that as it was now after 6pm and all the jobbers were closed. Lowes had the grommet for $1.25!

file_zps0a997df6.jpg

file_zps27f4d3c8.jpg

I called K&N back and they were glad I found it locally and are sending me a replacement filter element to use in the future for free, so good responsive customer service, with a desire to make things right from K&N!

On to the install...This is basically out with the old an in with the new...the only thing used from the old air box is the Ford air temp sensor...from the oem airbox.

file_zpsd2036811.jpg

Disconnect BATT

file_zps4a7d5663.jpg

file_zps108cbf90.jpg

file_zpscbb69107.jpg

file_zps7f25c35a.jpg

file_zpsa716f128.jpg

file_zps6dd79b4a.jpg

file_zpsd6e05fc4.jpg

Remove connectors, air inlet tube and Factory Airbox and as you will see FORD have designed this truck to have to take the air intake in order to fill the Transmission Fluid!

file_zpsf28890f9.jpg

file_zps533d8809.jpg

file_zpsbfa56aa8.jpg

Next assemble the K&N, nice of K&N to include all Stainless Steel Fasteners and Washers, you will reuse the Ford Sensor so be careful removing it.

The you are ready to install the new CAI assembly which is pretty straight forward...

file_zpsb818e741.jpg

file_zpsb0a8b75e.jpg

file_zps65df6b91.jpg

file_zpse374f981.jpg

file_zps427cb9d2.jpg

file_zps9bd2f742.jpg

^^All Done Take it out for a rip and drive normally for a while (20 mins) before any WOT.
If you have the radio off you can notice that intake is louder than the stocker and you can hear more air flow, the truck is even more responsive down low and has even more kick.

The Tune I have coming from Ford Racing, with it's shift point changes and more aggressive a/f mapping, should wake it up even more.

file_zps11a561eb.jpg

Tools used...Sockets are 8mm, Wrench 13mm, Drill Driver Bit 8mm and T-Hex Wrench is 4mm as is the 3/4 Driver Hex Socket.

file_zps0a43558f.jpg

What tune from Ford Racing are you talking about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I purchased the new Airaid with the synthamax (not oiled) filter for the explorer sport and installed it just yesterday. Here are some pics from right after install. Still need to let that weatherstrip mold on a little better. So far it sounds a little better than stock when giving it some gas if you like a deeper growl sound, but you still hear the turbos spool up (or maybe its because I have vent to atmosphere). While idle I cant tell any difference. I haven't driven it around enough to say whether or not its made a big improvement over the stock air box. I will be installing the livernois downpipes, cat back and tune though so I may really never know the difference. One thing I don't like is how the hood prop pretty much lays on top of the air filter when the hood is closed, so im going to try and remedy that in the next few days as well. Took me about 30mins to install, only aggravating part was trying to disconnect the stock air box from the anchor. The instructions say use needle nose pliers and to squeeze the threads closed and to pull it out. I could not even get it to budge one bit that way, just smashed some threads is all. I ended up just cutting the electrical tape holding the anchor in place, and presto.
Oh and just today I was going down to the VA and saw another sport that was also white platinum metallic , looks like I will have good timing with all the other goodies coming so I can have the phatter ride in town haha

Nice pictures on the CAI install! Excited to hear some feedback on how you like the tune , exhaust, and down pipes as well.

We do now offer our new Livernois exclusive Windstorm line of cold air intakes for the Ecoboost models as well as all of the other major brands of cold air intakes on the market. Our intakes now feature a Livernois emblem on the air box where the old ones said Airaid and also the end of the cone filter has Livernois laser etched logo as well. Feel free to shoot me a pm, call , or email as well for more pricing and information on this and all of our products to get your Ecoboost or N/A Explorer to the next level today!

LMS

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/
info@livernoismotorsports.com
313-561-5500

Back