• Register Today It's free!

High speed wobble

OC sporttrac

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer sport trac
Brand new to the board. Thanks for having me.

I have a high speed wobble that I can't seem to get a correct diagnosis. When I am moving on a highway or off ramp, if I hit a bump straight on, then no problem. If I hit it slightly turned I get a shake in the steering wheel. Enough that it really concerns me. I had the ball joints replaced last spring. Uppers and lowers. Shocks were replaced about 40,000 miles ago

Truck has 110,000 miles. Since I moved to the beach 3 years ago, I'm having a lot of front end problems.

Thanks for all the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm following up on this post in case anyone has similar issues. I drove to PA (100 miles) and had an ok drive. I got about 3 miles from my destination and the truck started doing weird things. Every time I turned left it felt like I was in a severe under steer/sliding. I finally took it to a pro (very rare) and he couldn't figure it out at first. The issue was there was no sound. Turns out it was tread separation on the left front tire. Someone was looking out for me.

Thanks for posting the follow-up.

I had shaky stability problems hitting bumps on the highway, it turned out that my rear sway bar was broken. I would check everything in the front end as closely as you can, control arms, ball joints, sway bar, end links, tie rods, etc. Any play anywhere means something is shot.

Thanks for the sway bar suggestion. I had checked all connections, just did check the tires. I put new tires on and it's all good. Great set of firestones for 500 installed at tires plus. Everything can be negotiated.

Back