4WD Modes

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So yesterday I was driving around in the snow. I test all 4 modes in the snow to see how each one would respond.

Normal Mode: Mostly 90% power to the front wheels, drives okay in the snow except the front end will slip more often and TSC will fire up a lot.

Mud mode: TSC is turned off. Power is distributed to all 4 wheels evenly. Throttle response is the same except you can feel the drivetrain loss as a result of the even distribution but it does get the vehicle to use its rear wheels. This to me seems like a mode to be used when you're in deeper snow and want better throttle response than snow mode. Although any of the modes with TSC off seems like a bad idea on the road.

Sand mode: I used it 2 years ago when I got stuck in some deep 10 - 13 inches of snow and it helped me plow through the snow without getting stuck. No TSC so it doesn't stop you if you're wheels are slipping. The throttle response is increased so you get a shock of acceleration which is meant for sand. Again TSC off means it will be easier to lose control in the snow.

Snow mode: Best mode for the snow on the road. It's the safest and best option and it's called snow mode for a reason. TSC is really active in those mode and it really stabilizes the vehicle well. Throttle response is very low. It helps you creep along the snow safely.

The TSC in this vehicle is done really well. The vehicle grabs onto the road and applies the brakes to the wheels slipping before I could even notice or feel it. I drove on my friend's field and some normal roads packed with snow. No matter what I did, I could not get stuck. Although the snow was like 4 - 5 inches so it wasn't too bad, it did the job well. This Explorer can really slide though when you're going a bit too fast and you're trying to brake. I figured out that you need to turn towards the skid and just apply the brakes and hope you don't hit the curb. I'm on the stock XLT michelin tires. They grip well when you don't hit a bunch of super slippery snow and ice.

How does everyone else's Explorer perform in the snowy conditions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So yesterday I was driving around in the snow. I test all 4 modes in the snow to see how each one would respond.

Normal Mode: Mostly 90% power to the front wheels, drives okay in the snow except the front end will slip more often and TSC will fire up a lot.

Mud mode: TSC is turned off. Power is distributed to all 4 wheels evenly. Throttle response is the same except you can feel the drivetrain loss as a result of the even distribution but it does get the vehicle to use its rear wheels. This to me seems like a mode to be used when you're in deeper snow and want better throttle response than snow mode. Although any of the modes with TSC off seems like a bad idea on the road.

Sand mode: I used it 2 years ago when I got stuck in some deep 10 - 13 inches of snow and it helped me plow through the snow without getting stuck. No TSC so it doesn't stop you if you're wheels are slipping. The throttle response is increased so you get a shock of acceleration which is meant for sand. Again TSC off means it will be easier to lose control in the snow.

Snow mode: Best mode for the snow on the road. It's the safest and best option and it's called snow mode for a reason. TSC is really active in those mode and it really stabilizes the vehicle well. Throttle response is very low. It helps you creep along the snow safely.

The TSC in this vehicle is done really well. The vehicle grabs onto the road and applies the brakes to the wheels slipping before I could even notice or feel it. I drove on my friend's field and some normal roads packed with snow. No matter what I did, I could not get stuck. Although the snow was like 4 - 5 inches so it wasn't too bad, it did the job well. This Explorer can really slide though when you're going a bit too fast and you're trying to brake. I figured out that you need to turn towards the skid and just apply the brakes and hope you don't hit the curb. I'm on the stock XLT michelin tires. They grip well when you don't hit a bunch of super slippery snow and ice.

How does everyone else's Explorer perform in the snowy conditions?

I haven't used every AWD mode yet. 99% of my driving is in the 'Normal' mode, even in snow. Used the 'Snow' mode once last year when I had to stop at a Stop sign on a side street. Found myself having to plow through a high drift that the snowplow had left when it cleaned the main road. The Ex just walked through the drift as if it wasn't there. Then I switched back to 'Normal'. With Winter tires on, I haven't noticed any slippage at all.

Peter

Traction & Stability Control perhaps.:dunno:
I like these little 'brain teasers' we get from time to time.

Peter

Is there any recommended top speeds for any of the modes besides normal. I am used to 4 low up to 20-25 mph. 4 hi for over 25 mph. Not that I plan to do 60 mph in "mud ruts".

I use the snow mode all the time when there is fresh snow on the ground / blizzard (etc) here in Upstate NY which it has been quite often as of lately. All the characteristics of it work wonderfully together and the slower throttle response really makes the difference.

The rest of the time (99%) I use the automatic (normal) mode and that works as requested.

Is there any recommended top speeds for any of the modes besides normal. I am used to 4 low up to 20-25 mph. 4 hi for over 25 mph. Not that I plan to do 60 mph in "mud ruts".
Welcome to the Forum 5th Gen Jim.:wavey:
As per the Owner's Guide, there is no speed limit mentioned. It does say that 'sand' and mud/ruts' is for off road use only but no limit is mentioned. I guess common sense prevails here. Cruise control is available in 'Normal' and 'Snow' modes only. Again no speed limit is mentioned.
The only time speed is mentioned is when 'Hill Descent' is used.
If you haven't already read it over, Terrain Management is on page 226 of your Owner's Guide. I recommend downloading a PDF copy of the Guide and save it to your computer or other device for easier use. I use the computer's FIND command to locate items in the Guide and find it much easier and faster than trying to find it in the paper copy. You can download from here;
https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...ToLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=1667254

Just select Year, Make and Model and click on Find My Vehicle.

Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

I don't think the system was as prone to damage as the older Explorers because this car doesn't use a transfer case and there are no locking differentials to worry about.

snow mode works great! The explorer sport is actually better than my Raptor in slippery icy conditions.

no snow here but black ice all the time. mud mode with manual/ paddle shifters seem to work best (although not great)

Snow mode sucks, I got stuck in 16 inches of snow today.

What kind of Winter tires are you using?

Peter

stock, I know that was part of the problem :( It was kinda neat to see the 4 tires spinning independently as the car tried to get out.

stock, I know that was part of the problem :( It was kinda neat to see the 4 tires spinning independently as the car tried to get out.

When I got into deeper snow. You really do have to kind of brute force your way through it with sand mode or some other mode that will let the wheels force its way through the snow. I think 16 inches of snow gets caught on the front bumper and causes a lot of resistance.

I switched it into mud mode and the just dug me deeper. Yeah snow got under the front bumper and that caused some issues. I had a shovel and was able to dig myself out. I went back out again to some 16 inch areas and did not have an issue. Slow but was able to stop and get out of it.

My Explorer is 4 months old and I got to test my snow mode for the 1st time a few days ago for the 1st time.

I only used snow mode and normal mode to see what if any difference there was.

In snow mode I had solid steady traction, and even when I stepped on the gas hard the vehicle was rock solid with traction.

In normal mode I did experience sliding and fishtailing when I stepped on the gas hard.

When I say hard I do not mean flooring it, just giving it a solid push on the gas pedal.

I am so far a satisfied Explorer owner.

My Explorer is 4 months old and I got to test my snow mode for the 1st time a few days ago for the 1st time.

I only used snow mode and normal mode to see what if any difference there was.

In snow mode I had solid steady traction, and even when I stepped on the gas hard the vehicle was rock solid with traction.

In normal mode I did experience sliding and fishtailing when I stepped on the gas hard.

When I say hard I do not mean flooring it, just giving it a solid push on the gas pedal.

I am so far a satisfied Explorer owner.
I'm guessing you don't have Winter tires.;)

Peter

I have the all terrains that came with the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow mastersouce your a lot braver than I. Do you mean a few drifts that were that deep or did you guys get actual accumulation of 16 inches? I remember when we were first looking at ours on the lot I thought that low front bumper looked handy for getting stuck in a snow drift. :) I figured with drifts we would run into trouble with 6 or 8 inches of snow but I haven't really had to worry about it yet. Usually if we get a big snow I break out the Wrangler with 36" swampers and go have some fun. :)

Back