Are all rear driveshafts the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are all rear driveshafts the same?

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Are all 4x4, 4-door rear driveshafts interchangeable? I know the 2-doors are obviously shorter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm using a driveshaft from a second gen 4d in my first gen 4d. Both dshafts seemed about the same length. The second gen dshaft has a smaller overall diameter. The second gen dshaft bolted right in. I've had no issues with it so far. Been running it for two years and have about 1500 off-road/rock crawling miles on it.

id like to expand this to the 2 doors. ive got a 95 but wondering if the rear shaft out of a 97-01 would work???

id like to expand this to the 2 doors. ive got a 95 but wondering if the rear shaft out of a 97-01 would work???

the one you have now is better. its a double cardon rear shaft.

except the joint in the middle of the double cardon is junk. I can get a newer shaft closer and cheaper...hopefully before my truck vibrates apart

Thx for the input. I'm guessing if the 4-doors are all the same, the 2-doors are swappable too.

I do know there isn't a length difference between the v6 ohv sohc or manual trannys. so as long as wheelbase is the same between 2door or 4 door models then the shafts should fit

Back