• Register Today It's free!

1998 sport 4x4

killermike

Reaction score
City, State
kingston, ontario,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer sport
was wondering if a vaccum leak would make my 4x4 not work right like make it chatter when i step on the gas in 4x4 because i have done most of the troubleshooting and i cant find the problem and i took my tc motor off and it seems to be working but i dont no i just was told to check the vaccum lines but i dont no where to look it feels like it is in and out all the time the way it jumps and chatters so i need some help please thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was wondering if a vaccum leak would make my 4x4 not work right like make it chatter when i step on the gas in 4x4

Nope.

it feels like it is in and out all the time the way it jumps and chatters so i need some help please thanx

Can you please be more descriptive? High speeds? Low speeds? Cornering? Braking? All the time? Only when hot/cold? Before/after it's warmed up? Etc... The more you can tell us about what it's doing and when it's doing it, the better we may be able to help you. :)

-Joe

it does if its cold or hot and only when i step on it hard to see if the 4x4 is in which i think it is going in and out because i took the tc motor off today and moved the cam to the neutral spot and put it all back on and it felt like it was in 4hi bye the way it jerked abit and then i put my foot on the brake pedal and put it in neutral then in 4low and it went in like it was suppose to then took it out and put it in 4hi again and went for a drive and it would chatter and jump when i stepped on the gas abit to see if it would spin i did the test to see if my transfercase was locking up and i dont think it is all the time because when i had it jacked up and running in park in 4hi i could spin the driveshaft also when i first bought the suv the lights on the dash for the 4hi and 4lo flashed together then got i guy to look at it and i think he just cleaned it now it fine no more flashing but the 4lo light does not come on ever when i try to put it in just the 4hi light stays on and also i was trying to find the vacuum lines on it but i only found the abs lines and unplugged them and now i got that shudder or chatter witch i think is from the transfercase by the sound it makes it never did this before but now that i took the lines off the abs and put them back on it makes the shudder or chatter and transfercase makes a noise any help would be great

was wondering if a vaccum leak would make my 4x4 not work right like make it chatter when i step on the gas in 4x4 because i have done most of the troubleshooting and i cant find the problem and i took my tc motor off and it seems to be working but i dont no i just was told to check the vaccum lines but i dont no where to look it feels like it is in and out all the time the way it jumps and chatters so i need some help please thanx

No but leaving out any trace of punctuation will def do it :D

Is it chattering in 4wd AUTO or HIGH, auto only turns the 4wd on when it feels the wheels slipping so the engagement will be rather rough. This is perfectly normal and how your truck will act if you're "testing" the 4wd on dry pavement. On the other hand if it's popping in and out of 4wd when it's in high or low that is a problem.

This thread contains the worlds longest sentance.

Sounds like the TC needs to be rebuilt.

it chatters or sudders in 4auto or 4hi its does not matter, and i try it on the road that is covered in snow right now , but it never did it before i unplugged the abs vacuum lines then plugged them back in and it started to do it, but i have been reading up on it could it be the shift fork in the transfercase i dont no but would love to fix it thanx for your reply

yesturday i took the motor off the tranfercase and moved the cam to neutral,and put it all back together and it seemed like it went it good to 4hi and 4lo, but when i went down the road it did the sudder or chatter that it was doing before

I have the same prob with my 2000 sport 5spd... keeping an eye on this thread. Is there an ABS connection?.. because my ABS light is on, pretty sure it's a wheel sensor for that part of it. ABS is currently disabled, all 4 will lock up.

this sounds similar to what mine was doing. anytime I put a decent amount of torque to the front wheels while locked in 4hi or 4low it would chatter something fierce. turned out to be a stretched chain in the tc. easy test is to pull the rear drive shaft and lock in 4hi or 4low (not auto) and see if it'll go. if she chatters, I suggest a new case or rebuild

that is what I feared ... the chain in the tc jumping/skipping teeth... not good.

Back