• Register Today It's free!

Airbag Light

rsmace1

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
My airbag Light begins to blink a few moments after driving. It will Blink with few pauses for about 4 to 5 times then just stay on until i cut the truck off. occasionally it will not come on at all. any ideas? 02 explorer 2wd eddie B.

There are quite a few threads on this issue. The light blinks in a pattern: it will blink a certain number of times, stop, then blink a second number of times to make a two-digit code.

Now, based on past threads, it could mean it is the passenger or driver side airbag. I have had an airbag light code 33 or 34 for a few years. One of the most common issues is that the white plug underneath the front seats can be faulty. The contacts could be loose or corroded. In my car, the contacts were loose and I decided to replace them with a generic plug. This plug allows you to disconnect the airbag and restraint system when you need to remove a seat.

You will need to determine by the code which side of the front seats the problem lies. Then, using prior posts on this topic, you can decipher it and check out that plug.

In my case, I replaced both plugs with 2-wire quick disconnects and I have had the airbag light regardless of those repairs. I suspect that if the plug repairs don't work, the airbag control module could be faulty. Have fun :)

If your horn or any of the steering buttons don't work also then it's a clockspring issue. You have to replace it if it's the case. Check first if the connection under the seat is ok, sometimes this is the cause of the airbag light.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Back