HELP 92 X new batt and alt not chargeing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP 92 X new batt and alt not chargeing

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
Hey all,
Wondering if anyone has had the same problem as I'm having. Alternator went out suddenly, purchased an new one and had my battery tested and charged at my local battery shop but it's still not charging. Battery light is on and guage is at the N of normal. I need to get it fixed fast so I can get to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated..I tried the search option but it won't open up via my cell phone and don't have my laptop at the moment.
Please help and thanks, Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you do the install yourself or did the shop do it for you?

I'd start checking connections at the battery and alternator.

If you can, try to look up youtube video's from alternator man. They are very good and helpful for diagnosis and repair. I just wrote a post about the subject a week or so ago.

here is the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399404

Malohnes - I do all the work myself on my trucks but when it comes to electrical im kinda in the dark. Never ran into this type of problem before. I went through and cleaned all connections. I did notice when I installed the new alternator ( for the second time) the wire end that bolts on the alternator was all corroded so I cut it off striped the wire and put a new end on it thinking that could be the problem but still no luck. Ill have to check youtube

Turdle- ive heard from a couple people that there is a 15 amp fuse as well as a phantom inline fuses that I have yet to be able to find. where by chance would they be located. I'm not near the xploder at the moment but but I want to say I didn't see anything for charging or alternator, could be wrong like I said im not near the truck. The fuse box is the small one with only a handful of fuses, completely different from my 94 witch has almost double the fuses. ( not running at the moment either)

Just talked to a couple of buddies that said it could even be a bad a starter solenoid on the passenger fender wall too. Something about it works with the charging system.

Thanks again guys, Adam

thanks turdle, thank god I have a nice boss. talked to him tonight and told me not to worry and to take the day off tomorrow and try to get the issue figured out. ill be working on this first thing in the morning. this diagram will help out big time. thinking outloud with the fusible links, I do have an extra alternator wiring harness but I believe it must be from a 93-94 as that mine has round plugs and this one has a bit of a different plug. can it be refitted with the plug connector of my 92 ( as in plug I meant he connection between wiring harness from alternator to distribution box...the one on top of the plastic fender well) they looked similar but don't want to jump in and it fry something else.
thanks again,
adam

ps..is this the same turdle that on some of the rc scaler/crawler forums by chance?

thanks turdle, thank god I have a nice boss. talked to him tonight and told me not to worry and to take the day off tomorrow and try to get the issue figured out. ill be working on this first thing in the morning. this diagram will help out big time. thinking outloud with the fusible links, I do have an extra alternator wiring harness but I believe it must be from a 93-94 as that mine has round plugs and this one has a bit of a different plug. can it be refitted with the plug connector of my 92 ( as in plug I meant he connection between wiring harness from alternator to distribution box...the one on top of the plastic fender well) they looked similar but don't want to jump in and it fry something else.
thanks again,
adam

ps..is this the same turdle that on some of the rc scaler/crawler forums by chance?

Nope, he must have stolen my screen name-;)

Hmmm, that fuse able link is troublesome. I have never found mine, and suspected it was in the fuse terminal on the fender, it's a 15A fuse. IIRC the fuse is the inside rear corner of the box, labeled "Alt Field".

In my Chilton manual the wire colors are different for the 91-92's to the 93-94's for the alternator plug. Since mine is an 91 and yours is a 94, I can't help there.

Is there by chance a pin sticking out of the pack of the alternator between the screws of the regulator, to the left of the battery stud? I would be the size of a large paperclip and about the length of a pin and holds the brushes back away from the commutator inside. I don't think new alts have them, but it is something to check. IF it is, pull it out.

Keep in mind a battery can "test" good & still be bad. If the alt went & discharged the battery, a new battery might be needed.

whelp, froze my ass off for about 5 mins in the 12in+ deep snow and negative wind chills here in Michigan and can happily say it was the fastest fix I've ever done. it was indeed the 15amp fuse. stole the one for the hood light and she's working perfect now. thanks again for the troubleshooting help guys. never thought there would be such a small fuse for something like an alternator. I now have a new dilemma unfortunately...shes been sitting the past few days and windchills have been doen as low as -35 at night and now the transmission wont go into gear...had this problem last year around this time but it ended up fixing its self. one thing after another.... any ideas on that too possibly. shes starting to nickel and dime me....

truck posted in my screen name is my 94, I failed to add in my post other than in the title that this is my 92 xlt that im having these issues with

Back