2002 explorer 4wd not activating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer 4wd not activating

2002v8

Reaction score
City, State
Palmerston north
Year, Model & Trim Level
ok i have had my explorer for nearly 2 years now, since i have had it the 4wd has never worked like i press the 4wd button and no lights on the dash come on or anything! It's weird because it's stuck in 2wd and I didn't realize they did go into 2wd. The driveshaft is still in so I don't understand how it is doing this... any help guys?

ok i have had my explorer for nearly 2 years now, since i have had it the 4wd has never worked like i press the 4wd button and no lights on the dash come on or anything! It's weird because it's stuck in 2wd and I didn't realize they did go into 2wd. The driveshaft is still in so I don't understand how it is doing this... any help guys?

I have always looked after this and service everything and no mechanics have picked up any problem it it, could it be the switch?

this used to be the same thing with my explorer since i bought it, i have a 2002 ford explorer xlt 4.0.

The problem i had was that that the 4x4 control module was burnt out, i bought a new one online, plugged it in and everything worked.

it sounds like the same thing has happened to you (burnt out 4x4 c.m) so if you can buy a new one everything should be fine :)

I just wanted to point out something about the 4x4 system in your vehicle. The transmission is always in 4x4 Auto mode. When loss of traction is detected, the transmission directs power to the front wheels, along with the rear, to increase traction as necessary. That is why you will see no lights on when the transmission is in that mode. The only time you will see any 4x4 indicator lights is when you select 4x4 High or 4x4 Low.

I have pasted a link to the 2002 Explorer owner's manual. On page 201 a detailed explanation of the Control Trac 4x4 system starts.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../02expog6e.pdf

It does sound like you do have a problem with your 4x4 system since you get no indicator lights when you press any of the 4x4 buttons, but I just wanted to show you how the system is supposed to work.

This helped me out because for the longest time I could not understand why I couldn't get my vehicle into 4x4 Low until I saw in the manual that the vehicle had to be stopped with the transmission in neutral and your foot on the brake to engage.

Good luck with your vehicle.

Back