Explorer hood vibrates | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

Just wondering if this issue has been rectified or not. Im a fairly new owner of a 2013 limited and i have the same "flutter" of the hood sheet metal at highway speeds.
There are a few things i need to get looked at on the vehicle but overall happy so far.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum OeschJ:wavey:
This doesn't appear to be a widespread issue. I have had mine almost 3 years and can't say I've noticed any issue with the hood. I would mention it to the dealer when you take it in the next time. I don't know if the hood is somehow attached in anyway to the cross braces under the hood insulation.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter. Will let the dealer know about the issue when it goes in at the end of the month.
Theres a few other issues that need some attention and pieces I would like to get added on, and this site is a great place to find info and inspiration.

Just wondering if this issue has been rectified or not. Im a fairly new owner of a 2013 limited and i have the same "flutter" of the hood sheet metal at highway speeds.
There are a few things i need to get looked at on the vehicle but overall happy so far.

Thanks

Hi OeschJ,

I'm happy to hear you love your new ride! What's your favorite feature so far? Concerning the flutter, have you talked to your dealer? Fill me in on the situation and I'll see what I can do.

Bianca

Hi OeschJ,

I'm happy to hear you love your new ride! What's your favorite feature so far? Concerning the flutter, have you talked to your dealer? Fill me in on the situation and I'll see what I can do.

Bianca

Thanks Bianca. I will talk to the dealer when i take in the Explorer at the end of the month for an inspection and to get the windshield wiper nozzles looked at (neither spraying in the front, i believe summer fluid was left in and froze, cracking both)

The problem with the hood "flutter" is just what has been described here. Middle of the hood just in front of the windshield (about 1 foot) moves freely like a piece of tin when at highway speeds.
I felt under the hood insulation where the problem exists and it has definitely has come apart from whatever adhesive was holding it down.
I hope this issue is covered by warranty, but either way sounds like a simple fix.

Thanks Bianca. I will talk to the dealer when i take in the Explorer at the end of the month for an inspection and to get the windshield wiper nozzles looked at (neither spraying in the front, i believe summer fluid was left in and froze, cracking both)

The problem with the hood "flutter" is just what has been described here. Middle of the hood just in front of the windshield (about 1 foot) moves freely like a piece of tin when at highway speeds.
I felt under the hood insulation where the problem exists and it has definitely has come apart from whatever adhesive was holding it down.
I hope this issue is covered by warranty, but either way sounds like a simple fix.
I had the left nozzle freeze up on me and that was with the Winter windshield washer fluid. I've had that happen with other vehicles as well. I park in my garage and sometimes water will get on the nozzles and if they aren't used a lot they can freeze. I just opened the hood and put a trouble light with a regular bulb under the place where the nozzle is and left it there for about an hour. Problem solved.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately im fairly certain their cracked as after parking in a heated garage for several hours i tried them and the stream was mostly sent downwards into the engine compartment, not on the windshield. It is possible though as now i have no fluid going anywhere in the front.

Regardless i will let the dealer look at it as i need a full inspection anyway. I have no idea what shape the brakes, suspension or other components are in. Im in need of a full synthetic oil change as well since im not sure what the place i bought it from put in there.
I recently got rid of my Mercedes ML430 and have never been into a Ford dealership. Truthfully i dont even know what comes with an oil change or any maintenance. Excited to learn all Ford has to offer though.

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately im fairly certain their cracked as after parking in a heated garage for several hours i tried them and the stream was mostly sent downwards into the engine compartment, not on the windshield. It is possible though as now i have no fluid going anywhere in the front.

Regardless i will let the dealer look at it as i need a full inspection anyway. I have no idea what shape the brakes, suspension or other components are in. Im in need of a full synthetic oil change as well since im not sure what the place i bought it from put in there.
I recently got rid of my Mercedes ML430 and have never been into a Ford dealership. Truthfully i dont even know what comes with an oil change or any maintenance. Excited to learn all Ford has to offer though.
Well the dealer will be in the best position to determine what the problem is. At my dealership I get all the free coffee I want, as for the Explorer, they always do a multipoint inspection and free alignment check with each oil change. They also wash and dry the vehicle every time I go in for any service. This is my 2nd Ford after my last one in 2002. Had 3 Toyota Highlanders between then and March 2011 when I got the EX.
Good luck.

Peter

Hi OeschJ,

Please send me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and servicing dealer via PM so I can check into a few things for you. You'll most likely have to make an appointment earlier with your dealer once I loop in your customer service manager. :)

Bianca

I can add that it was a windy day. Not super windy, kind of medium windy like you know a thunderstorm is coming. I was travelling down a country side road 2 lane highway doing only about 90km/hr. What I remember is it was almost like a normal gust of wind came at the same time as the truck passed head on and sort of created a double intensity of gust. The hood almost appeared to "flex slightly" and might of been part of the reason for unlatching.

Had a similar incident happen on the road this weekend. My wife and I were traveling on the highway at about 85mph (a legal speed for the road we were traveling on), and into a headwind of ~15 to 20mph. Several times, mostly when the car was traveling above 70mph, it appeared that the hood was "fluttering". The front was securely latched, but the center of the hood vibrated up and down a good half inch. I remembered seeing this thread, and checked the latch when we stopped for a break. The latch was very secure (I tugged up on the front of the hood). This wouldn't bother me, except it makes quite a bit of noise. Anyone else had this issue?

moved above post to this thread.

Peter

Mine was the defect of the hood brace. The epoxy had become weak and broke apart. It was fixed under warranty at my dealer.

Had a similar incident happen on the road this weekend. My wife and I were traveling on the highway at about 85mph (a legal speed for the road we were traveling on), and into a headwind of ~15 to 20mph. Several times, mostly when the car was traveling above 70mph, it appeared that the hood was "fluttering". The front was securely latched, but the center of the hood vibrated up and down a good half inch. I remembered seeing this thread, and checked the latch when we stopped for a break. The latch was very secure (I tugged up on the front of the hood). This wouldn't bother me, except it makes quite a bit of noise...

I'd suggest bringing this to the attention of your dealership, amd2800barton. Additionally, I'd like to get your regional customer service manager involved. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I have a 2014 the Explorer Sport I've noticed the hood flutter at highway speed also. Will be contacting my dealer soon. Always something

Yep same issue here noticed it with less than 1000 miles on it. Going to the dealer in a couple hours on the way home from work.

I have a 2014 the Explorer Sport I've noticed the hood flutter at highway speed also. Will be contacting my dealer soon. Always something

Yep same issue here noticed it with less than 1000 miles on it. Going to the dealer in a couple hours on the way home from work.

How did things go at your dealerships, 502 and Mulletmobile? Let me know if you need my help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Been very busy at work have not had a chance to take it to the dealership

Put me down for the noise to.

Ours too I think. I have been hearing a strange wind noise over 75 mph and it has been driving me nuts. Almost like a howling noise from somewhere in front of the windshield. My wife drives it daily so I next time I drive it I will look at the hood a little closer.

A howling noise is usually caused by the wind going through something. I would think it would be more likely caused by the cowl that runs the length of the windshield than the hood. As I've mentioned before, you can try taping it down to see if the noise disappears.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work grave shift Crystal and have not yet been to the dealer. I have the vehicle with me tonight and am stopping off to have it washed and the hood inspected as well as what appears to be damage to two of the wheel from shipping and bad paint (white spots in it) this morning. Work has been crazy and working 15 hour shifts with hour commute each way has left little time to have it looked at. Will hopefully have some info today.

Back