• Register Today It's free!

Nook Color Tablet as Headunit

desitdt

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT AWD
For the last few months on an off i have been working on utilizing a Nook Color tablet as a headunit for my ford explorer. I wanted a double din screen but I did not want to spend i whole bunch of money setting it up. I could have bought a cheap pioneer double din but I hate how crappy the interfaces look on cheap units. Plus there is just so much more that can be done by using an android tablet such as google maps, all of the android apps, multi homescreen interface, ect. The main thing that i wanted to accomplish was having a tablet and a radio in my dash so that i could still have radio stations without having to use tethering all the time. I also wanted to make the tablet removable so that i could take it out and load music and whatnot onto it. I also want to dock it into one connector so that it can charge and output audio through the usb port. Understand that i started this project when the nook color was the best bang for the $ and i got it brand new for $80. I'm thinking about buying a Nexus 7 and selling the nook color as it may be easier to integrate the electronics in the end. The nexus 7 is smaller in height and length compared to the nook color so it would be easy to switch.

The first thing i had to decide was where to put everything. after a bit of thinking i decided to move the radio into the ac din, and move the ac controls where the top pocket was in the lower console.

From here i had to figure out a way to make the tablet removable, and i decided to go out and find a double din fascia that would look good on the tablet. A trip to my local car audio installer yielded this beauty.

IMG_20120414_182750%2520-%2520Copy.jpg

IMG_20120414_182807.jpg

Im not really sure what this goes to but it would be best to go to a local shop and find something on hand you can use. It will be much easier to use the straight clean lines of a premade faceplate that making one yourself. I believe i paid like $8 for this one piece. As you can see it fit pretty nice. I wanted something that did not cover up the homescreen button as i figured i would use it all the time.

IMG_20120414_182852.jpg

IMG_20120414_182842.jpg

So i needed to make something the tablet could slide in and out of. The tablet fit perfectly in the fascia so i just added pieces of plexiglass to the top and the bottom of the fascia so that the tablet could just slide into it. Then i added a piece of thin mdf to the back so that it made a sleeve. You will understand better after seeing the picture below.

IMG_20120426_203144.jpg

You can see that i actually glued the piece togeather with the tablet inside, this was so that everything lined up perfectly or as close to perfect as possible. I also added two pieces of suede around the tablet as it was glued as i planned on using them to prevent scratching of the tablet in the final installation.

After this i ran into a problem that i knew would happen. It would be impossible to fit the screen into the bezel and keep all the surrounding buttons. I could have kept everything if i had dismantled the nook and done away with the body but like i said i wanted this removable. You can see below how much space my slide in assembly would take up of the bezel. I decided i wanted to keep my 4-Wheel drive selector and cigerette plug in tact and do away with the other three. My rear wiper motor and rear defrost are broken, so it was not a big deal for me. I will relocate the fog light button somewhere else later. The bezel you see here is from the junkyard and did not have the rear defrost feature, in case your wondering.

IMG_20120508_165751.jpg

I took some acetone and sandpaper to that crap rubber finish to get it off, then I traced my tablet sleve assembly onto the bezel and cut it out with a dremel.

IMG_20120508_215204.jpg

IMG_20120425_171455.jpg

By this time your probably wondering how i am going to get the thing in and out of the dash. Well my first try was to fiberglass around the tablet sleve and make the sleve slide out on drawer slides, you can see what i mean with the pictures below.

IMG_20120425_193459.jpg

Well it was a great idea in theory, but horrible in practice for a few reasons.
1) I realized just how hard it would be to get all of the lines to match up and look nice
2) It would look bad to make more lines in the bezel than needed and would look beter if the whole bezel were to just slide out.

So instead i started fiberglassing and bondoing the whole thing into the bezel, making sure there was enough room on the side for the tablet to slide in and out.

IMG_20120508_231822.jpg

Before i got too far i knew i would have to do some modifying to the ac part of the pezel to accomidate the radio. The radio will not fit through the ac control hole so i had to cut a little bit.

IMG_20120509_173501.jpg

Then i put the bezel into my car and test fitted the radio. Initially the radio stuck out pretty far and i didn't like that. The reason that it sticks out so far is because the RCA and 3.5mm connectors on the back of the radio were hitting the HVAC duct and not letting it go any further. I went up to Radioshack and got six 90deg RCA adapters and one 3.5mm 90deg adapter and it helped out a lot.

IMG_20120512_125032.jpg

I put the trim ring that came with the radio around the radio as i was planning on using it to fiberglass the best line i could get. After a bit of positioning i got the perfect look and the trim ring was touching three spots on the bezel which allowed me to glue it into place.

IMG_20120514_190618.jpg

IMG_20120514_190629.jpg

IMG_20120514_190634.jpg

IMG_20120514_194822.jpg

After the glued dried i stretched and glued some cloth around the bezel and attached it to the outside of the trim ring. If I were to glue the cloth to the inside if the trim ring i would have lost my clean straight edge and i would have made the trim ring to small to fit on the radio.

IMG_20120514_201734.jpg

Cut off any excess cloth that was not needed, after the glue dried.

IMG_20120514_204219.jpg

Then some fiberglass here and there.

IMG_20120514_205156.jpg

After some sanding and Bondo.

IMG_20120515_154246.jpg

More sanding and bondo, you can now see that i am creating some lines around where the radio will be that make the overall piece look better.

IMG_20120521_181124.jpg

And finally a test fit in the car, also in this picture can see the AC controls have been moved into the top pocket of the lower console. I will be doing a writeup of how i did that in the post below.

IMG_20120515_190338.jpg

Took it out and sprayed it with sandable primer so i can see all the spots i need to fix.

IMG_20120521_185053.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So In this post i will be detailing two other parts of this project. THe first is moving the Ac controls down to the lower console and the second is making a fiberglass switch pod for the overhead console. The first thing i did was remove the ac controls and the lower console. After removing the pocket i could see that the sides of the AC controls would have to be cut so that it would fit properly.

IMG_20120504_160840.jpg

IMG_20120504_182311.jpg

IMG_20120504_160859.jpg

I went out to my car to see how to mount it all in so it would be secure. I noticed that the Ac contolls now fit perfectly between the two spring clip holders that attached the lower pocket area onto the lower console, and if i could cut them off the pocket i could customize the height at which it sat off the console.

IMG_20120504_182415.jpg

IMG_20120504_182418.jpg

I cut them off the pocket, took everything out to my car, measured, and glued.

IMG_20120515_145922.jpg

IMG_20120515_145931.jpg

IMG_20120515_145947.jpg

Once i found out where i wanted the ac controls to go, i traced it out on the pocket cover and cut out so it could slide through. It looked something like this:

IMG_20120504_160859.jpg

I wanted to do something different for the faceplate as i will most likely be painting all of this the same color as the exterior of the car (you can see i already painted the pocket cover to match one time). I took a piece of plexiglass a bit bigger than the HVAC controls in each direction and made some rough curves to go around the text. Then i glued it to the piece and just add Bondo. If i were to go back and do this all over again i would have fiber glassed it, but this was actually started before i dove into the tablet construction and i had no idea how to use fiberglass.

IMG_20120507_201215.jpg

IMG_20120507_210854.jpg

Whats really cool is that you can use the top part of the curve that you cut out of the pocket holder to get a clean line for reconstructing the lower pocket. I didn't even think about this when i cut it up so I was left with the piece you see below. If you cut it out as one piece you should have very little edge to recreate. I put another piece of plexiglass as a buffer so i could glue the edge down...again i should have used plexiglass.

IMG_20120508_165500.jpg

IMG_20120508_165509.jpg

Then just put on 3-4 layers of Bondo and sand carefully. I will not talk about how to do Bondo properly because there of plenty of awsome guides on here and the internet that will do a much better job of explaining that i ever will.

IMG_20120508_181332.jpg

IMG_20120508_181340.jpg

IMG_20120508_203640.jpg

IMG_20120508_203718.jpg

This is how it sits at the moment

IMG_20120515_151745.jpg

I also made a switch pod to go in the garage door opener compartment of the overhead console. I Started off my taping up the areas i wanted to mold.

IMG_20120515_161655.jpg

Laid some fiberglass. Make sure you totally press in the latch and tape it there so that the mold will allow it to function properly.

IMG_20120515_165810.jpg

When it dried i trimmed it up and test fit to make sure the door would close properly. Doing that took a few tries to get all the extra pieces out of the way. Then i added a faceplate with plexiglass and matchsticks and some hot glue.

IMG_20121126_172031.jpg

After that i covered it in cloth. Trimmed what i could with sizors and used a lighter on other spots to get it as close as possible. I glued the cloth on the inside of the tray so that when fiberglass was applied it wouldn't make it too thick to fit in the compartment.

IMG_20121126_180000.jpg

I took it outside and put some glass on it tonight. I should have some pictures of the piece tomorrow. I also went back tonight and added some fiberglass on the new HVAC/pocket holder since its pretty much made of bondo atm.

Subscribing........................:popcorn:

I just wanted to update and say that i am still working on this project but i stopped until the price of the nexus 7 drops. Google I/O is this week and with the announcement of the new nexus the price will drop and ill pick up an old model. It will actually fit better into the piece that i made than the nook! I decided to go with the nexus 7 because: 1) its quad core and 2) most importantly it can stay fully charged while running usb otg for the accessories im adding. The Nook requires a 2amp charge and special pins on the factory cable to maintain charge with the screen on, which is not possible with otg so...

Accessories i will be adding:

http://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/atmega32u4-usb-development-board-arduino-compatible.html

this will be used to convert a reverse signal into a function which will open up a webcam app for a backup camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...d=1368582268&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+3.5+rockford

This is the cheapest option for a usb and 3.5mm panel mount i could find. 3.5mm will be hooked to stereo usb will go to tablet.

Since you're adding an arduino board, you could go all the way and add another LCD screen or feed the Nexus 7 with all kinds of stupid data about your vehicle :D

Could you further explain>

You could use the arduino to process raw data you receive from the computer(s) and pass this on in a presentable way to a small LCD screen, so you'd get some sort of trip computer but with your own data. OR you could pass this data on to your Nexus and use that to create a view of your data (think graphs and such)

Will require some programming on your part, but would be very slick :) I assumed that since you want to use the board to control a back up camera, you were kinda techy :)

Nexus 7 should be in tomorrow.

Just as kinda an update to this, not that many people cared :p. Crashed my explorer before i got this totally installed. Will be getting my car back soon but an getting another car.

Well that just sucks. I am excited about doing this to my Explorer within the next few months...

I will be putting everything into my new car whenever i one. Its currently working right now but I don't have the dash fully sanded or painted. Defiantly don't go with a nook use a nexus because there is a rom specifically built for in car installs. The beringer works perfect and is recognized with zero problems and i have very nice audio quality.

I will be putting everything into my new car whenever i one. Its currently working right now but I don't have the dash fully sanded or painted. Defiantly don't go with a nook use a nexus because there is a rom specifically built for in car installs. The beringer works perfect and is recognized with zero problems and i have very nice audio quality.

How'd you crash the explorer? Got any pics of it?

any more progress on this?

Back