• Register Today It's free!

Tranny probs

RyansX

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hey i need help! Tranny wont shift out of park! I dont have brake lights, interior lights, winshield wipers, turn signals, not hazards nothing no radio windows dont roll down. Any help? I was told check the BOO and fuses, any other help? Thanks! 1998 V8 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup. Check the fuses. Fuse 10?
Fuse 26?
Grab a needle nose pliers and check all of them, one by one. Check both fuse panels. The above are in the panel on the dash.

The brake switch unlocks the transmission. Turns on the brake lights-so if it is dead those will not work.Check to see if it isn't pushed back out of it's housing, or broken off. It is on the brake pedal lever-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...14&highlight=fuse+relay+location+distribution

Sounds like a bad battery or battery connection.

the engine cranks over and starts. I doubt the problem is with the battery.

I didn't see anything in his post that said that.
If it does run then there is a main power feed that is broken, disconnected, etc. Check all power feed wires that come off the starter relay.

I didn't see anything in his post that said that.
If it does run then there is a main power feed that is broken, disconnected, etc. Check all power feed wires that come off the starter relay.

Yeah, he should have mentioned that but I saw on facebook he had it running.

On the other hand, if it didn't run why would he need to shift out of park? ;)

Just poking ya-:D

Help! New BOO switch and tranny still wont get out of park!

Ive posted once before, but for some reason i can no longer comment on that thread.
So here goes!
I have a 1998 V8 XLT with the 4speed auto w/overdrive and my trannsmission wont shift out of park. I just replace my BOO switch yesterday to no avail. It will shift out of park if i turn the key one click and put it in neutral then i works good but still no lights so its not legal. Im at a loss here i need some help! Also i know i probably blew a fuse, because, nothing is working. No reverse lights, no brake lights, no interior lights, no radio, no power seat, no power mirrors, no power windows, no turn signals, no windshield wipers, my back wiper wont work also. Any help!? I need to get this running! Please help!

Well check your fuse. Or you could do what my buddy did in his old nissan. Run all new wires with a switch on the dash. Flip the switch every time you hit the brakes :D

I merged this to the existing thread. This way everyone will know where we are in the troubleshooting process. One problem, one thread. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back