Another 4th Gen Projector Retrofit and halos | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another 4th Gen Projector Retrofit and halos

I didn't get the capacitors yet. But I will pick some up after work today. I'll get a couple 35 volts 6700ųf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay so after hunting all over the city I finally found a place that had the capacitors I needed. Just picked up 2 x 4700uf 50v and 2 x 6800uf 50v. They didn't have any 35v in stock so I just got 50v instead. I'll try these when I get home tonight.

Okay so after hunting all over the city I finally found a place that had the capacitors I needed. Just picked up 2 x 4700uf 50v and 2 x 6800uf 50v. They didn't have any 35v in stock so I just got 50v instead. I'll try these when I get home tonight.

cool, looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Should get my resistors today so I can fix that issue.

I have the good news :)
So the canbus harness works flawlessly now. Even the high beams work great. No flickering no bulb out error message for low/high beams. Just put one capacitor each before the factory harness on each of the low and high beam wires. I used 6800uf 50v for low beam and 4700uf 50v for high beam. But you can use 4700uf for all high and low beams.
James you don't have to use those resistors anymore. Just get the capacitors and you're all set man.

Yes, you need to wire them in parallel just like the resistors. Be careful not to switch the +ive & -ive of capacitor. The -ive terminal has arrows pointed towards the terminal.

Let me know how it goes for you. Also, looking forward to pictures of your projectors.

Thanks for the info, I'll post up some pics when I can. I think since I already have the resistors in hand and my relay harness is installed, I'm going to go the resistor route. I will pick up one of those 4700uF capacitors however. I need it on the driver side headlight harness to filter the power going into the relay harness....should prevent the high beam activation from making the relay buzz.

Yea makes sense since you already have the resistors. You may as well get a 6800uf since it'd store more voltage than 4700uf as both high beams will run off of single relay.
Oh since you're going resistor route, do you mind trying just the resistors by unplugging the ballasts from relay. I was wondering if that'd still get rid of bulb error. If it does I might just use a switch to turn off drl rather than paying a ford dealership. I'd appreciate that. Thanks :)

Finally got around to installing the resistors last night. Everything works fine now, no more bulb out errors on low or high beams. Also, looks like it fixed the relay buzzing too, no additional capacitor needed :thumbsup:

The resistors get hot, but it's pretty much just "light bulb" hot, not "molten lava" hot, so I think it'll be fine in the long run.

Back