• Register Today It's free!

Speaker upgrade

ninety9sport

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell Jct., NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I Currently have a JVC KD-SX780 that came with the truck and works pretty well. im just looking to upgrade my front and rear stock speakers. ive heard after market loses some of the factory bass. is this true? i want to keep some thump from the speakers without using a sub. any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been very happy with pioneer direct fit speakers I got years ago from walmart, I have them in all my explorers, I think they are 240 watt max, they sound way better than stock in the mounty with the stock system, and my others all have pioneer head units with factory amps, good bass and clear sound

^Agree. You're not "losing" bass by upgrading to a reputable aftermarket 6X8, you are gaining midrange and treble compared to the POS stock full range paper cone speakers. You will hear more of everything bottom to top, not just midbass and midrange that the OEM speakers are limited to.

You will never get true bass from a 6x8. That's what a sub is for.

However, I, as the others highly recommend some Pioneer speakers.
Look for something that goes as low as 30Hz and you'll get bass. Most expensive 6x8s are mid range and only go to about 80Hz. I've seen some that won't go lower than 120Hz.

I'm running Pioneers in my doors.

Edit:
Just remembered I made this. Shows the speakers I have.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394806

all of these are true. and you probably heard you lose bass with aftermarket speakers because people will buy speakers that only focus on mid range because they have subs to play the low range and tweeters to play highs. just do some research before you buy.
even the speaker make up can effect how it sounds..
generally you have tweeters to play your highs, speakers to play mid, and then subs to play your low. your never going to get "great" sound from one speaker that tries to reproduce all sounds but.. you can still get a considerable jump over stock.
speaker composition is your key to what it sounds like.. is the cone made from paper? rubber? silicone? etc..

Mine are blue chrome colored, not sure what they are made of, 3 way pioneer, The first sets I got had a pic of an explorer, ranger, and Mazda on the box, I think I paid $60 for each pair

The best sound will come from a component system of a 6.5" mid range and tweet combo. There are companies that make adaptors to fit the 6x8 stock location.

yea im not trying to have crazy bass. i want a nice all around sound. thanks for all the help. ill do some more research and let you know how i made out.

Pioneer TS-G6844R
Super Cheap, great sound for the price. Quite punchy bass. Can handle the stock head unit at max.. Unlike the factory speakers.
Just crank bass to max on the head unit, and treble to 2 less than max. That's how I have mine set, they work amazing.

Upgraded to Pioneer 3-way speakers in all doors many years back and was pleased that Bass improved significantly, as well and much more brilliant highs. Easy change.

Back