• Register Today It's free!

Fueling issue 2004 Explorer

Bocomo

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
My daughter reports to me that when she attempts to fill the gas tank it shuts off after about 3-5 gallons. She then can not get it to take more. Believe me, the tank is less than a quarter full when she goes to refill. If she drives a little bit, she then can add another 3-5 gallons before the refueling stops.

Does this sound like a Fuel Vapor Purge Valve issue? When the car was used by my wife, she reported this same symptom. Every time I filled the car I haven't had any troubles. We have owned the car eight years and it is a low-mileage vehicle.

Car details: 2004 Explorer XLT 4X4, 4.0L engine, 88,000 miles.

Thank you for taking the time to read and provide your opinion.

Bocomo
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does the same thing sometimes when I put the lock on the 3rd knotch , Not sure what the problem is but when the pump kicks Off and I know it is not full, I simply put the lock on the first knotch and pump the gas in slower. seems like some pumps are worse than others and I suspect some gas stations simply pump faster than others.

I know this might sound a little lame, But are they pre-paying at the teller with a $10. bill ?

Not prepaying, pay at the pump. I'll recommend slow fill and see if that helps. I'm sure that will go over real well. I was hoping it might have been a common issue, well not really hoping...

Some pumps are set really sensitive. Just pump it slower, or don't insert the nozzle quite as far.

I was hoping, sort of, for something along the lines of fuel vapor purge valve. The family has never really been a fan of my fill the gas tank slow suggestions, but I guess I will try that one again.

I appreciate the responses, thanks for your time.

Bocomo
Bob

Back