DRL (Daytime Running Lights) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

......The dealer argued with me that he couldn't turn on the regular headlights and had to do the ambers because they were HID's but mine is the 301a package and doesnt' have HID's. I have never heard of anyone having anything but the amber lights for there DRLs.
Only Explorers with HID lights have the amber ones for DRL. The others, at least in Canada, all have the DRL on the headlights.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Philips Daytime Running Lamps 4 LED are a great alternative. Just plug and play. They're brighter, look better, and cost less than going to the dealer.

I finally got around to taking the Explorer into the dealer yesterday.

They couldn't activate the headlights as DRL's but they were able to activate the Amber Turn Signal lights as DRL's. They are working perfectly.

They also taught me that the GAP adjustment can only be done when you are sitting still. Now I know!

I finally got around to taking the Explorer into the dealer yesterday.

They couldn't activate the headlights as DRL's but they were able to activate the Amber Turn Signal lights as DRL's. They are working perfectly.

They also taught me that the GAP adjustment can only be done when you are sitting still. Now I know!
If you are talking about the setting the 'GAP' when using Active Cruise Control, I can set mine while driving. I have a 2011 Limited and it has always been this way.

Peter

If you are talking about the setting the 'GAP' when using Active Cruise Control, I can set mine while driving. I have a 2011 Limited and it has always been this way.

Peter

I have a 2013 Limited and I can attest I can also change my ACC GAP distance on the go.

DRL changing Ford Dealers in Ontario

Hey guys, after a lot of research finally pulled the trigger on a 6000K HID kit for my 13 sport. Problem is now I need to have the DRL's changed to the amber marker lights, I went to 2 Ford dealers in London and neither said they would do it.
Can anyone help with Dealers they know will do it?
I am in sales and travel a lot so anything from Windsor to Toronto will help.
K/W area would be perfect.
Can you let me know how much you paid as well, so I have an idea of what it should run.

Also has anyone had any issues installing LED's in the fog lights? Tried some tonight and couldn't get them to work.

Thanks,

[MENTION=231308]Motoarzan[/MENTION] had his done at Ridgehill Ford in Cambridge. Hwy24. Said they were cool about it.

Not sure if mentioned price.

What was their reasoning for not doing it? Drive it down here to New Brunswick. Riverview Ford will hook you up. Cost should run you around 45 pesos. Don't pay for it though it takes like 5 minutes to hook up the computer and change the setting.

I am out in BC so not much help for location, but I just rolled into my Ford dealer in Surrey, BC and asked if they would change the DRL's to the amber marker lights.
Service Rep said sure and asked if I wanted to wait for it! I was out in less than 25 minutes and $62.04.

I had super low expectations when I rolled in but was nicely surprised!!!

I have had 2 other local Sport owners notice the different DRL's!

Thanks Guys, Ill try the one in Cambridge later this week when I'm there.

My Ford dealer was an ass and just said they won't alter it from factory, the other one said that they didn't know if it could be done but they would charge me $110 to try.:fire::fire:

Thanks Guys, Ill try the one in Cambridge later this week when I'm there.

My Ford dealer was an ass and just said they won't alter it from factory, the other one said that they didn't know if it could be done but they would charge me $110 to try.:fire::fire:

Yep, I purchased my Sport at Ridgehill in Cambridge and they did it no problem.
Ask for Kevin Tozer the service manager. He has put through the DRL changeover many times and knows about it.
They might charge 1/2hr labour which is reasonable since they have to bring the truck in and everything but at least they do it no prob's.
Some dealers are shy of this because you're changing factory settings and could be a liability.

Hey guys, after a lot of research finally pulled the trigger on a 6000K HID kit for my 13 sport. Problem is now I need to have the DRL's changed to the amber marker lights, I went to 2 Ford dealers in London and neither said they would do it.
Can anyone help with Dealers they know will do it?
I am in sales and travel a lot so anything from Windsor to Toronto will help.
K/W area would be perfect.
Can you let me know how much you paid as well, so I have an idea of what it should run.

Also has anyone had any issues installing LED's in the fog lights? Tried some tonight and couldn't get them to work.

Thanks,
Welcome to the Forum TCFD36 from a former Londoner. :wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your thread to this one.
To change the DRL's I believe all the dealer requires is a laptop. Perhaps the ones you spoke with aren't familiar with the procedure.
If you are looking for info on the fogs, there are threads in the "Modified Discussion" forum.

Peter

You can tell your dealer to plug the computer in and turn either the headlights on as DRL or amber lights.

Yup - my dealer did it "for free" on my 2011, a bit of goodwill for all the other headaches my Explorer has caused me. The amber lamps functioning as DRL's work great.

When I had mine in for the MFT update last month, I asked my service advisor to have his tech turn on my DRLs using the amber parking lamps. They did it, no problem, and no charge. I had already converted these lamps to LEDs and the DRLs work and look great.

Was in Mt Brydges today, they did it for it for me in 5 min's for less than $30!!
they also agreed to replace my gps module after me just describing the issues I was having.
Great shop, highly recommend this Ford dealer.
Will be buying my new F150 from them in a few years.

Thanks for all the help, and to anyone wondering the HID upgrade is totally worth it!!

Drl

Brought vehicle in to dealer to turn on drl. Gave them the instructions on how to do it from one of the post from this forum. They claim it didn't work. Does anyone know if the 2014 is different from the older models?

I had my dealer turn on DRL for my 2013 exsport. My DRL's are the amber LED parking lights. Projector headlights are not used for DRL apparently. HTH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my 2014 done with no issue

Back