2006 Limited 4.6L Overheating | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Limited 4.6L Overheating

Head Gasket

Mine exhibited similar symptoms, the fan clutch was replaced (at my cost), didn't help. Temperature gauge still all over the place, radiator fan roaring almost all the time.
Got it back from the dealer (after another week and a half in a rental at my cost), both head gaskets were replaced and the heads resurfaced. They also replaced the thermostat, fluids, gaskets, catalytic converter and sensors. All under the power-train warranty. Barely.
Apparently with the failed head gaskets, the catalytic swallowed enough coolant as to be ruined.
Had them replace the spark plugs (at my expense) while they had the heads off as mine were the ones known (TSB) to break off during replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ended up taking it to the stealership. Apparently I had an extended warranty that I didn't know about that covered it. They replaced the radiator, fan clutch and thermostat. So far it seems to run better. I'm about to make a trip to Ft Lauderdale to drop off some friends at the airport, so I'll get some mileage on the truck to test it out. Thank goodness, I have a 1400 mile trip on Sunday. Glad I took it in when I did, my warranty will be expired by the time I get home on Monday!

That's good to hear! Let's hope it stays that way.

New to the forum but have the same truck with the same problem have u had it resolved? Dealership can't find wats wrong wit it

It was the radiator, dealership said it was clogged. I drove it 1600 miles home to Detroit without any issue except what I suspect was the torque converter starting to go. Drove it for 2 more weeks, then traded it in and got a Dodge.

Sorry don't wana bother you then but replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat before taking to the dealership, their trying to tell me it's normal for the fan to run all out on the highway at 70 mph and the temp goin up 3/4 way to h on a 15 degree day!if anyone else has had this issue please let me know. Another post said theorem converters went? I have a k&n intake and Gibson catback exhaust and never had an issue till this past Saturday. Not a daily driver, tow a boat with it and long trips only on days off. Help me help the dealer help me please!

at those temps i suspect an improper coolant mix allowing the coolant in the radiator to freeze

I never changed the radiator on my own. The dealership replaced under warranty and that's what fixed my overheating issue.

The torque converter was a separate issue and I didn't want to deal with it any longer so I traded it in before it became a big issue.

Think they got it!

Well they ended up getting a tool that measures the coolant temp at the radiator and compared it to what the coolant temp sensor is telling the pcm. Anyway they found it is saying that it is running 50 degrees hotter than actual causing the pcm to do some crazy things but dosen't throw a code because it's just in the higher side of the normal range. Hope this helps anyone that has this prob in the future.

well well well....

So my last post stated they found the problem at a dealership, intermittent 6v on the cht sensor circuit, had repaired and charged 611.52. BUT!!! its getting worse! They stated. Hope everyone is in for a good read and sorry for keeping an old thread alive but this thread helped me. They then were very interested in my possible trade because they wanted to start tearing my engine apart even tho it was passing all tests they can throw at it. So I hung my head paid them for nothing and took it to an independent garage that states it is not overheating,that garage is so into my problem that the owner took my vehicle to another ford dealer personally with their findings along what has been done already.The second dealership has also confirmed that it is not actually overheating. Since then the second dealership has pinpointed that the problem is the same sensor that has been replaced already. Now what I asked.. all he could tell me is he needs to get managers involved. What is wrong with these people! Im beginning to think its a gremlin! How can ford design a product, sell it, and not be able to fix it! since the independent garage says their backing me 100% on this issue I now have high hopes. ford mo co. has been a "pleasure" to deal with as well! Think I have stirred up a hornets nest with this problem.

I had enough, that's why I traded mine in.

-Only seeing temps by cluster gauge. I have no other means of checking it as of now.
-Stat is a Failsafe, 195 temp.
-I've bled the system.
-Guessing its original hoses, inspected and look fine.
-Filled with Peak coolant and Water Wetter since I'm in FL.
-Couldn't find a 16psi cap down here. But just put a brand new Stant 20psi on yesterday.
-Guessing its the original rad. 78400 m

Back