Anyone had non-automatic windshield wipers randomly sweep? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone had non-automatic windshield wipers randomly sweep?

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
Over the past 2 days, the front windshield wipers on my '11 XLT have come on for a single swipe 3 times without the switch being actuated.

I do not have automatic wipers.

The first time was yesterday morning. I've noticed that sometimes if you shut off the vehicle with the wipers engaged, then turn them off, they will single wipe when you restart. That was not what happened here. Twice on startup yesterday, they single wiped.

Today, they did not do it in the morning, or when I started it to head home, but they did it about 1 minute after startup.

In each case, there was nothing that actuated the lever.

Anyone else have this happen? Did it continue, get worse, subside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Over the past 2 days, the front windshield wipers on my '11 XLT have come on for a single swipe 3 times without the switch being actuated...

It might be worthwhile to bring this up the next time you're at the dealer for a maintenance appointment, dco43054; I'm sure they'll be happy to take a look. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Over the past 2 days, the front windshield wipers on my '11 XLT have come on for a single swipe 3 times without the switch being actuated.

I do not have automatic wipers.

The first time was yesterday morning. I've noticed that sometimes if you shut off the vehicle with the wipers engaged, then turn them off, they will single wipe when you restart. That was not what happened here. Twice on startup yesterday, they single wiped.

Today, they did not do it in the morning, or when I started it to head home, but they did it about 1 minute after startup.

In each case, there was nothing that actuated the lever.

Anyone else have this happen? Did it continue, get worse, subside?
If anyone else without the rain sensing wipers had this happen, they haven't posted about it. This is the first instance that I've read about. I would think the problem likely is in either the control module or the stalk itself. Do you have a setting for "courtesy wipe"? This usually gives an additional wipe after you have activated the wiper/washer combination. If you have it and it is ON, try turning it OFF and see if that does anything.

Peter

I had this happen several years ago with a GM product. I was told problem was in the "stalk" on column and would require replacement. I said NO, and just kept driving till traded off. This may just be the same type problem.

The courtesy wipe is not on. I confirmed it did not get set on inadvertently.

I had the GM product do thus with a defective stalk as well.

I'm hoping this is not the case.

If it's still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer. If not, pull the stalk apart and get to cleaning

If it's still under warranty I'd take it to the dealer. If not, pull the stalk apart and get to cleaning
Hasn't happened for a few days now.

With this vehicle, I rule out software failures before I start into the "hardware".

We'll see if the problem reoccurs.

And of course, it did yesterday morning.

I was not running the wipers when I pulled into the garage for the night at home about 6:15 p.m. on Saturday. Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. on startup, after the engine started, the wipers swept once without touching any controls other than the key to start it.

I confirmed the position of the switch was in the off position.

very weird.

This is just weird. Last Saturday and Sunday, it was random wiping every couple minutes.

Come Monday, no problems, and none all week.

I tried jiggling the switch, different setting combinations, etc. to make the issue repeatable, but haven't been able to.

The only difference I can think of is that it was snowing and really wet last weekend, and we haven't had any precipitation to speak of since.

I'd replace the switch in a heartbeat if I thought that was the problem. I just don't want to start throwing parts at it, though I may have to if it repeats again.

You gotta Ghost in the machine.. Try and figure out what it's trying to say, or it might get really angry..

I'm guessing you're out of warranty. Though even if you're not, it's hard to fix a problem you don't see, so I'm not 100% confident a dealer would just swap out the relevant parts, without being able to identify a specific culprit.

I hate to say this. But despite being a long shot, I'd still reset the system by removing the battery terminal for 30 min or more. In theory I wouldn't expect this to make a difference, but it's possible (I'm totally guessing) that even manual wipers have some of the same circuitry as auto-wipers, just with some feature disabled, so there might be some sensing loop in there that is somehow out of whack. I suggest this only because it's "easy" to try and could eliminate one possible cause.

I am presuming that this I happening when you're driving, not when you're sitting idle. While driving some sort of loose connection somewhere (maybe something internal that you can't see/touch) gets joggled and causes your wiper swipe. If you can ever replicate the problem while just sitting idle, then that means it's probably something more likely to be some sort of random software, capacitive, or resistive problem that triggers it.

Good luck.. These things are really frustrating to experience.

Yeah, you are right on all accounts. I am out of warranty. If it's a software problem, I expect Ford to fix it - but as no one else has reported anything, I'm leaning toward hardware (switch). I just want to make sure as just doing parts swaps are not my favorite way to diagnose an issue. At this point though, if nothing else gets better, I will just swap out the switch.

Just to keep documenting this - I pulled out of the garage yesterday around noon and it wiped without the switch being activated. I pulled back in and disconnected the battery and let the vehicle sit for 10 minutes. Then I reconnected the battery (ground cable) and started the car and it wiped once, then did not wipe again without signal input for the whole night.

I'm ordering a new switch today. That will take one variable out of the equation.

Ordered a new switch a week ago. Of course, last weekend it was phantom wiping. Then no problem to begin the week.

The switch arrived on Tuesday. I'll change it out and see if that resolves the issue.

Looks to be easy to do. A couple screws in the steering cover and a plug connector on the switch.

The switch was $34, but with shipping ended up being $41. Saved me gas going to the dealer, I guess.

This is happening to my 2011 Explorer too. It is very random, and is getting more frequent. Please let me know if the switch does the trick.

T

This is happening to my 2011 Explorer too. It is very random, and is getting more frequent. Please let me know if the switch does the trick.

T

Glad I'm not the only one.

It did fix the phantom wipe, but the new switch doesn't access the "faster" wipe speed. I called the parts guy and he said I had the correct part. There is only one for the XLT.

I will be swapping the old one back in to see if it accesses the high speed. If it does, it is either the new switch with a problem, or the new switch is not compatible.

Got a few things going on, so it will be a few days til I swap the old one back in.

The good news is that the new part has a two year warranty.

I had the same problem with my 2011 Explorer. It would run a sweep ever 30 seconds or so. Brought it back to dealership, they had to replace the wiper switch

I have had the same problem with my 2011 explorer . Haven't had time to worry about it .

Our 2011 is now doing this. My wife is not amused.

Only happening on 2011 Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is what it looks like so far. Could be due to the length of time they've been in service. If so, it should start creeping into the 2012 models soon, unless they use a different stalk.

Peter

Back