FRONT and REAR LOCKER | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FRONT and REAR LOCKER

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That shows 4th gen. does the same apply to 2nd gen 2001 ?

you have what glenn_a has

[DANA 35 IFS 27-SPL 10-BOLTS] for the FRONT and
[FORD 8.8 31-SPL 7/8 SHAFT] for the REAR

so all parts recommended for glenn_a fits your explorer

you have what glenn_a has

[DANA 35 IFS 27-SPL 10-BOLTS] for the FRONT and
[FORD 8.8 31-SPL 7/8 SHAFT] for the REAR

so all parts recommended for glenn_a fits your explorer

Thank You for your help. That helps alot .

confused

hi guys...

I am in the middle of working on my front diff and I am very much stuck...

I have ordered a ARB Air Locker RD102 and it not fit because of the height and I have searched and I checked but cannot find the right one to fit and I end up buying a E-Locker electronic Q19821-010 and still different...

the last option is to get myself a Auto Locker :eek:

I just want to know who done this project replacing a front locker and tell me the part number....

please help!

here's the other link a made but no success...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416113

I used the Richmond Gear Lockright Automatic Locker 2311-LR for my front diff. Works fine.

I don't think Aussie makes one for the front D35 anymore.

I know ARB made a unit that works on the 2nd gen D35 in the past, I just don't know if they still do or not. :dunno:

I used the Richmond Gear Lockright Automatic Locker 2311-LR for my front diff. Works fine.

I don't think Aussie makes one for the front D35 anymore.

I know ARB made a unit that works on the 2nd gen D35 in the past, I just don't know if they still do or not. :dunno:

thanks for the reply, did you say there is two types of Dana 35..?

I have tried RD102 but its too high around 15mm and I just bought an E-Locker and they sent me same measurement of the ARB Air Locker....

The Richmond Gear Lockright Automatic Is any good? any issues?
That was my last hope, just to get a Auto Locker ;(

Is there any way I could find what exactly type of diff I got...?

thanks heaps!

thanks for the reply, did you say there is two types of Dana 35..?

I have tried RD102 but its too high around 15mm and I just bought an E-Locker and they sent me same measurement of the ARB Air Locker....

The Richmond Gear Lockright Automatic Is any good? any issues?
That was my last hope, just to get a Auto Locker ;(

Is there any way I could find what exactly type of diff I got...?

thanks heaps!

Since yours is a 97 according to your info, you have a live axle and I don't think the auto locker would work for you unless you do the locking manual hub conversion (search this topic here). I just noticed your year, and wanted to point that out.

95-96 had a standard rotation gear central axle disconnect Dana 35 open carrier. These axles can run an auto locker no issues.You could swap this axle if you wanted and run the cheaper auto lockers.

97 -01 Explorer, 97-03 sports, sport tracks, and D35 IFS Rangers have standard rotation gear Live axle Dana 35 open carrier. Selectable lockers are the locker of choice for these.

91-94 TTB models have a reverse rotation gear Dana 35 front axle, they take different locker dimensions. The standard and reverse lockers won't work in each others carriers.

Search the stickies and search the threads in the transmission/axle section here, all the info is at your disposal if you want more. ;)

Since yours is a 97 according to your info, you have a live axle and I don't think the auto locker would work for you unless you do the locking manual hub conversion (search this topic here). I just noticed your year, and wanted to point that out.

97 -01 Explorer, 97-03 sports, sport tracks, and D35 IFS Rangers have standard rotation gear Live axle Dana 35 open carrier. Selectable lockers are the locker of choice for these.

Search the stickies and search the threads in the transmission/axle section here, all the info is at your disposal if you want more. ;)

thanks mate!

just to let you know I just installed a Auto locker for my front and Fitted a racing fibre Clutch for my rear LSD...

if I don't have a manual hub conversion what risk do I have..?

You run the chance of breaking CV axles.

I am thinking same thing but what part do I need to make my hub manually..?

I noticed my C.V joint shaft is not long enough and Im guessing that I have to replace my Hub too...

Do you know which and model of ford this came from so I can have a look online...

Would the Brown wire mods help..?

Some rangers came with ifs and auto hubs that can be converted to manual should work on the explorer I thought about trying it myself.

my buddy just took lockers out of his 01 sport trac. I believe they are the say diffs as the explorers. he is trying to sell them. if you would like to talk or interested in buying them then PM me and I will get his email.
Hey, I don't know how old this post is, but if your buddy still has them E lockers, please give him this. b-mick@live.com. Thanx

Hey, I don't know how old this post is, but if your buddy still has them E lockers, please give him this. b-mick@live.com. Thanx
Exploder-99 posted his response in 2013, and hasn't signed in since Dec 2019.

Back