Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

Hey guys so i am also having this issue although it has happened once when starting the explorer, it has also happened to me 4 times while driving it, but at this time my power steering also goes out. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said they could see no faults i showed them the pictures of the terrain management fault and power steering fault.

They called me this morning and set up an appointment to have to come in for a longer period of time next week when they are able to give me a loaner.

i am concerned because this happens while i am driving and with such a big truck and no power steering it is a dangerous situation.

I am currently only 5000KM away from my warranty being up and really concerned that this will continue to be an issue when my warranty is up.

If anyone has any other updates i would love to hear them.

Hi Gropper,

I'd like to look into this for you; please PM me your VIN, full name, phone number, odometer reading, and dealer. I'll see what I can do. :)

Bianca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bought our first Explorer - its a 2011 ltd with 47900 miles on it :eek: - got a reasonable deal on it. We have had it for a week now today. This warning had just come on, and like everyone else I tried to cycle the power to no avail. It also states that the traction control is off and the collision warning has stated that it has failed as well. Are these all one problem, or are there several problems all going on at the same time.

Thank You.

Just bought our first Explorer - its a 2011 ltd with 47900 miles on it :eek: - got a reasonable deal on it. We have had it for a week now today. This warning had just come on, and like everyone else I tried to cycle the power to no avail. It also states that the traction control is off and the collision warning has stated that it has failed as well. Are these all one problem, or are there several problems all going on at the same time.

Thank You.
Welcome to the Forum itstrick.:wavey:
I'm guessing that you did not have any power steering issues. Loss of power steering and the Terrain Management System alarm are know to go together.
I suggest that you read this thread from the beginning as there are several posts or suggestions as to how to clear the error or run a Vehicle Health Report. Did you happen too buy or get a Ford extended warranty (ESP) when you bought the vehicle? I bought one just because it was the first year for this new design and because of all the on board electronics.
I suggest that you take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. You can also send a PM (private message) to the Ford reps (FordService) that monitor this forum. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Been a while, but my dealer reports that the factory was finally able to get another Explorer (from Ohio) to fault...and it "Appears ABS is setting the Fault response that is causing the Terrain Management Fault." They have forwarded that information on to another group. So they are continuing to work on the issue. For me, if I wait about 3 seconds from the time I turn the vehicle to "ON" before starting, I have never had a fault as the system fires up. When I do not wait, I would guess, particularly since it has become cool here in Iowa, one out of 5 starts fault...

Thank You.

Hi itstrick,

As Peter suggested, I recommend bringing your Explorer back to the dealership so they can perform an inspection. Let us know what you hear; if you need my assistance, just send me a PM with the information that Peter listed in his post.

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum itstrick.:wavey:
I'm guessing that you did not have any power steering issues. Loss of power steering and the Terrain Management System alarm are know to go together.
I suggest that you read this thread from the beginning as there are several posts or suggestions as to how to clear the error or run a Vehicle Health Report. Did you happen too buy or get a Ford extended warranty (ESP) when you bought the vehicle? I bought one just because it was the first year for this new design and because of all the on board electronics.
I suggest that you take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. You can also send a PM (private message) to the Ford reps (FordService) that monitor this forum. You can use this link;
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for the prompt reply Peter, this has only happened two other times now. I called the dealer that I purchased it from and they said they would contact there service department and let me know (this was on 11/25) I have not heard anything yet. But its the holidays- people are busy. I elected not to purchase the ESP- I regret this now. I would take it to the dealer and leave it for them to review- however the dealer I purchased it from is a little over 95 miles away. I ran the vehicle health report, it stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. I will wait for the dealer to call me back to see if there is anything that can be done, or I will just have to wait for the problem to occur again.

Hi itstrick,

As Peter suggested, I recommend bringing your Explorer back to the dealership so they can perform an inspection. Let us know what you hear; if you need my assistance, just send me a PM with the information that Peter listed in his post.

Crystal

Will keep you posted Crystal.

My 2014 Sport is doing this crap. 2nd time in a month. Taking it in tomorrow.

My 2014 Sport is doing this crap. 2nd time in a month. Taking it in tomorrow.

Send me a PM with your specifics, silvercv2002; I'll loop in your regional customer service manager so they can assist in getting this resolved. To get the ball rolling, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Thanks

Latest from my dealer is that a software fix has been identified and that it should be available on or about February 15. So perhaps the issue will be resolved. My suggestion is to check with your dealers and tell them to watch for this production release... In the meantime, for me at least, turning the vehicle "on", but waiting approx. 3 seconds before starting has worked every time with no fault...

Just for the record to the top google search of "Terrain Management System Fault" message.

I got it on my 2014 XLT AWD this morning (-7C in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada), after a short 5-min drive in snow mode parking and 1st step on acceleration after restart. I got "Service AdvanceTrac" first, and I felt I lost AWD on snow.

A bit panic since I had only 3500Km on this car, and I loved it. Lucky enough I could take a picture by my cellphone, since I suspected the message can disappear after pressing [OK]. I pressed [OK] to moved on. After that is the message "Terrain Management System Fault", and TMS nob went off.

OK, so far car moves, and I've contacted dealer for action instruction.

Thanks for everyone sharing their experience here.

Latest from my dealer is that a software fix has been identified and that it should be available on or about February 15. So perhaps the issue will be resolved. My suggestion is to check with your dealers and tell them to watch for this production release... In the meantime, for me at least, turning the vehicle "on", but waiting approx. 3 seconds before starting has worked every time with no fault...

Thanks Dannykay for the update.

Hope this is official and final solution from Ford.
It took such long time though.

Mine 2013 ex had the fault since I got it in last May.
I traced this thread all the way and did not take to the dealer.
I thought it was due to a bug relevant to self check timing in software

Just for the record to the top google search of "Terrain Management System Fault" message.

I got it on my 2014 XLT AWD this morning (-7C in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada), after a short 5-min drive in snow mode parking and 1st step on acceleration after restart. I got "Service AdvanceTrac" first, and I felt I lost AWD on snow.

A bit panic since I had only 3500Km on this car, and I loved it. Lucky enough I could take a picture by my cellphone, since I suspected the message can disappear after pressing [OK]. I pressed [OK] to moved on. After that is the message "Terrain Management System Fault", and TMS nob went off.

OK, so far car moves, and I've contacted dealer for action instruction.

Thanks for everyone sharing their experience here.

Hi legendbb,

What did the dealer instruct you? Please send your VIN, full name, servicing dealer, and phone number my way so I can do more research for you. :)

Bianca

Similar problems here as those mentioned above. My 2011 Ford Explorer had a few "AdvanceTrac" errors. Initially the dealer replaced a sensor... didn't fix it. Then they replaced the "rack and pinion" which is actually an electric motor. A few weeks after that while driving and turning left the steering was not smooth and made a grinding sound. The dealer came and picked it up a week ago. I just got it back and of course the dealer could not replicate the problem. Now what?

Terrain Management System Fault

Similar problems here as those mentioned above. My 2011 Ford Explorer had a few "AdvanceTrac" errors. Initially the dealer replaced a sensor... didn't fix it. Then they replaced the "rack and pinion" which is actually an electric motor. A few weeks after that while driving and turning left the steering was not smooth and made a grinding sound. The dealer came and picked it up a week ago. I just got it back and of course the dealer could not replicate the problem. Now what?

Make sure the Ford rep that monitors this thread gets in touch with you. My issue may be resolved in the near future with a software fix. Had most of the hardware fixes tried last summer...but did not resolve the problem.

I have a 2012 explorer and I have had the Terrain Management Fault light come on after start-up a couple of times. I have taken it back to the dealer twice and they were unable to find anything wrong. I'm not sure what to do next.

I have a 2012 explorer and I have had the Terrain Management Fault light come on after start-up a couple of times. I have taken it back to the dealer twice and they were unable to find anything wrong. I'm not sure what to do next.
I suggest that you send Crystal (FordService) a private message so she can get involved. You can use this link;

Good luck.

Peter

Hi eersfan,

As Peter suggested, I'll be happy to look into this for you. Just send me the information he listed in a PM and I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hello all,

I just received this fault today. I was backing out of the driveway through the deep snow. As another user posted, I hope its just a result of the deep snow. Turning the keyless ignition off and on didn't help, but I will start it back up later and see where it stands.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,

I just received this fault today. I was backing out of the driveway through the deep snow. As another user posted, I hope its just a result of the deep snow. Turning the keyless ignition off and on didn't help, but I will start it back up later and see where it stands.

Hi maliboo74,

Did you notice anything when you started up the Explorer this morning? Let us know and feel free to reach out if you need my help.

Crystal

Back