HID Conversion Problems-2014 Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Conversion Problems-2014 Sport

Sorry, one other question.... HD or CANBUS harness?

They recommended me the canbus do to ease of install and that the stock wiring is ample. Makes sense as I'm sure the same wiring is used that is found on the limited trim which has hid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went with the HD harness as the lights are in auto most of the time and didn't want fire up problems during starting. Also there is no bulb out indicator to fool with can bus. I double checked by unplugging one of the stock bulbs to see if it would give me an indicator, nope.

I got the 3five which has a 5 year warranty. Also the Autolamp delay in the menu everyone keeps talking about is for how long they stay on after you shut off the car and get out not for how long it takes for them to come on.

Sorry, one other question.... HD or CANBUS harness?

Two words: CAN BUS

Use a kit with these. Mine has been solid - no issues.

I've had my lights from coolbulbs for over a year. They have performed perfectly!

Couple of questions on this:

1) With regards to TRS are we talking about the 9500 Morimoto Elite HID kit located here - http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-9005.html

2) The Morimoto's work on the 2014 as well as 2013 ?

3) On the OEM options, has anyone installed these yet and what was the cost/performance like ?

Thanks all

1. Yes, for 13 and 14 you want a 9005 kit. TRS asks you when purchasing what your vehicle is to ensure you get the right equipment.

2. Yes

3. I've read that the eom kit is very good, but requires waterproofing the ballasts I think as they are meant to fit in the headlight assembly. All other kits should be waterproof. Best to ask TRS themselves.

A new ballast has arrived! I hope to try it out and for the last time I really hope it works. Maybe this week I can install them.

Update

I received my AMP: OEM HID SYSTEM tonight from The Retrofit Source and so far so good. It works in Auto the few times I tried it tonight, and fired overtime I asked them to. I will have to see how they work on the way to work in the morning. I am powering them with a harness. The Retrofit guys are great to deal with. This kit is significantly more expensive than the coolbulbs kit, but it includes OEM Denso ballast that are used in Toyota's and Lexus. I was after reliable, and I hope these will do the trick.

I received my AMP: OEM HID SYSTEM tonight from The Retrofit Source and so far so good. It works in Auto the few times I tried it tonight, and fired overtime I asked them to. I will have to see how they work on the way to work in the morning. I am powering them with a harness. The Retrofit guys are great to deal with. This kit is significantly more expensive than the coolbulbs kit, but it includes OEM Denso ballast that are used in Toyota's and Lexus. I was after reliable, and I hope these will do the trick.

how is it working so far?
on the morimoto elite did anybody ordered also their relay harness?

working great. No problems. The kit works in Auto headlight mode and everything works as it is supposed to.

The Retrofit Source AMP:OEM Kit

Here are some pictures from the kit:

image.png

image+%25281%2529.png

photo+%25281%2529.png

could you post pic with the light on when you have the time.yeah i agree with you with the bALLAST i traded my lexus for the xsport but i also upgraded my bulb from stock bulb but forgot what brand it was and it was brighter than stock on my lexus before.

I also have Denso ballasts with my D2S setup, you can't beat the OEM route.

I certainly hope you got yours "potted" (waterproofed) or else you might get a bad surprise later on. Most people don't realize these particular ones are used inside a headlight assembly from factory and have a little weatherproofing.

I have the potting material, and will be doing it this weekend. I needed to make sure they worked fine on my truck first. They are mounted up high, and upside down in the engine bay. Im not worried about it. I got a car wash today, and drove in heavy rain yesterday...not water anywhere near the ballast...or any of the wiring.

What is "Potting Material"

Update. I installed the new ballast (3rd one) into the Xsport on Saturday. So far so good. They worked perfectly and last night seemed to be doing fine as well. I hope that everything stays how it is as the light output is great. I will report back in a week or so if they are still working or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: New kit is working great. No problems at all. Ballast fire every time, and no problem in Auto.

Back