Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

Hi maliboo74,

Did you notice anything when you started up the Explorer this morning? Let us know and feel free to reach out if you need my help.

Crystal

I went out today and the fault was gone. I will certainly keep my eye on it.

Thank you for following up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just heard from my service manager at Lynch Ford that the software fix now has a firm date of March 6 for distribution. So as he said, with any luck, the week of March 10 my vehicle will go in and finally be repaired.

I just got this warning as well. Picked it up at the dealers and it was in some deep snow. Came up once. I got out of the vehicle. When I came back and turned it on it was gone. Nothing has popped up since. Will be interesting to see what the cause is.

I received these faults (Terrain Management System and AdvanceTrac) today on my 2013 CPO Explorer Limited during a snowstorm, also hoping this is an issue that resolves quickly as I was unable to safely drive my car in the conditions. The faults did not clear after restarting - we are bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow.

Very surprised and disappointed that this car already has issues, we have only owned it two months..

I received these faults (Terrain Management System and AdvanceTrac) today on my 2013 CPO Explorer Limited during a snowstorm, also hoping this is an issue that resolves quickly as I was unable to safely drive my car in the conditions. The faults did not clear after restarting - we are bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow.

Very surprised and disappointed that this car already has issues, we have only owned it two months..
Welcome to the Forum sarahsue1152:wavey:
I don't know why there have been reports like this coming in recently regarding this fault. It seems that lately more of the posts are regarding the 2013 and 2014 models. I guess we seem to have worked our way though most, but not all, of the 2011 and 2012 model years.

Peter

...The faults did not clear after restarting - we are bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow...

I'd like to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, sarahsue1152. To make that happen, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get this moved up the line.

Crystal

Just heard from my service manager at Lynch Ford that the software fix now has a firm date of March 6 for distribution. So as he said, with any luck, the week of March 10 my vehicle will go in and finally be repaired.

Did you get the software patch? Did it fix the problem?

No software patch release yet...

Did you get the software patch? Did it fix the problem?

Was notified that the release date was put back to between 03/25 and 04/10...so no software patch yet...shall see.

When I get it, will post something...

Hello,

I am getting this done at Campbell Ford today. Something with a software update for the ABS relay. I'll update on if it worked or not.

Cheers

Love my 2011 Explorer but feeling frustrated. This is my first Ford and not sure about a few things. I did by the vehicle used from a Ford dealership.

In the last 2 weeks I had the Service AutoTrac fault, Collision Warning fault and Terrain Management system fault. I drove it straight to the dealer, whom the Service Manager saw all the lights on and scheduled me for service 2 days later. At that time it was not longer doing it, so they said they couldn't do anything.

The very next day, the same warning lights came on again. A few days later they came on and I drove it straight to another Ford dealership. The lady was nice enough to scan the codes but didn't have techs there at the time (After hours) to be able to fully diagnose the problem. Took it in for service 2 days later. They kept my car for 5 days and were not able to duplicate the problem, nor fix it - even though she wrote all the codes down on the initial scan. She said the codes were stored in the computer but even after they called the Ford Service Hotline, there was still nothing they could do because the lights weren't actually on.

Today, finally on my way to work they came on and took it straight to the dealership. I am not car knowledgeable but what they told me was the YAW sensor was unstable which was throwing off codes regarding the ABS system which the diagnostics said to replace the Restraint Control Module.. whatever that means. So far that's all I know, as they are still working on it. I hope this fixes it. I can see how the collision warning system would be affected with a faulty RCM but how would the ABS be affected? Today I also got a grinding noise, engine lag and my traction control light started blinking, going less than 20 mph in my neighborhood. Roads had no debris or potholes. Happened 4 times in 2 minutes.

On top of all that, a few months after I bought the vehicle I noticed rattling in A Pillars. I bought the extended warranty but it does not cover trims, body defects. The dealership paid for the labor and I paid for the parts. All fixed. Then my driver side door panel seam split (leather interior). The dealership had their upholsterer come and glue it, which I paid for. 6 months later it split again. I called Ford Corporate and they said nothing they can do. Found other pictures of the same issue happening to other people. Ordered a new door panel yesterday to have installed.

NOW, the hood edge is already bubbling and rusting which has caused the paint to crack on the edge of the hood and the inside bottom of my drivers door is rusting.... The car is 3 YEARS OLD and I take care of my vehicles!!!! I have no qualms with the lady that has been helping me at the dealership at all, or their techs. Just don't understand why customers have to go through all of this when it could be a potential safety hazard. I'm scared to drive it, especially with my kids in the car. ~~~Very frustrated Ford owner.

My New Explorer?

Ok, This forum seems to be the ONLY real hit from a Google search for "Terrain Management System Fault." I read this thread from beginning to end and I've seen steering angle sensor, abs, moisture etc. Conspicuously this thread ends with a post about a software fix that won't be available until April 10th and the next poster claiming to have it done on March 17th. I just drove a vehicle which threw the TMS fault on the left dash monitor w/disabled TMS dial. Otherwise I had a pretty good perception of the Ex. Would love to have the confidence to buy. I find it a bit strange that with all of the users reporting the problem few have come back to provide an update. Is/has ford fixed the problem? Are you being silenced? Are you just trading the vehicle in? I guess I'll give my info to the Ford Rep and hope I don't disappear?

Ok, This forum seems to be the ONLY real hit from a Google search for "Terrain Management System Fault." I read this thread from beginning to end and I've seen steering angle sensor, abs, moisture etc. Conspicuously this thread ends with a post about a software fix that won't be available until April 10th and the next poster claiming to have it done on March 17th. I just drove a vehicle which threw the TMS fault on the left dash monitor w/disabled TMS dial. Otherwise I had a pretty good perception of the Ex. Would love to have the confidence to buy. I find it a bit strange that with all of the users reporting the problem few have come back to provide an update. Is/has ford fixed the problem? Are you being silenced? Are you just trading the vehicle in? I guess I'll give my info to the Ford Rep and hope I don't disappear?
Welcome to the Forum PEXOB2.:wavey:
I don't know if Ford has concluded that all issues were the result of software problems or not. It almost seems that way. I had a 2011 Limited and never had the issue. I have also found that there are some members who post a problem, say they are going to the dealership and then are never heard from again. There are also a few that get answers supplied by other members and never post as much as a thank you. They just disappear.
We usually only hear if a problem has been fixed when we hear from other members on the Forum. That is the way most of the info is distributed around here.
I see in your post in the 'New Members' forum that you test drove an MKX. I just swapped my 2011 Limited for an MKT this week. If you want power, the Sport has it.

Peter

Terrain Management System Fault

I will let you know the outcome...My dealer has kept me pretty well informed with what has occurred.

Welcome to the Forum PEXOB2.:wavey:
I don't know if Ford has concluded that all issues were the result of software problems or not. It almost seems that way. I had a 2011 Limited and never had the issue. I have also found that there are some members who post a problem, say they are going to the dealership and then are never heard from again. There are also a few that get answers supplied by other members and never post as much as a thank you. They just disappear.
We usually only hear if a problem has been fixed when we hear from other members on the Forum. That is the way most of the info is distributed around here.
I see in your post in the 'New Members' forum that you test drove an MKX. I just swapped my 2011 Limited for an MKT this week. If you want power, the Sport has it.

Peter

I PROMISE, I WON'T do that ;) I am getting ready to come back from the Ford ledge I was on and I hate it but I can't afford to buy $33,000 + vehicle that is already flaky. Haven't shopped for an MKT mostly body style, same thing kept me away from the CX-9 but I like the MKX enough I could be moved.

The Explorer 11-12 and Highlander 09-11 have been the top two on my list (not necessarily in that order). Noticed you have had a little experience with both. Any advice?

I PROMISE, I WON'T do that ;) I am getting ready to come back from the Ford ledge I was on and I hate it but I can't afford to buy $33,000 + vehicle that is already flaky. Haven't shopped for an MKT mostly body style, same thing kept me away from the CX-9 but I like the MKX enough I could be moved.

The Explorer 11-12 and Highlander 09-11 have been the top two on my list (not necessarily in that order). Noticed you have had a little experience with both. Any advice?
Yes, the MKT style does take a bit of getting used to but I couldn't pass up the deal. Loved the 2011 Explorer Limited I had. It was virtually trouble free for the 3 years I had it. I had the TSB for the 'uncommanded windshield wipe' done 2 times and still had it occasionally. Service tech said it could be a problem in the stalk. Had the battery replaced also. Have nothing bad to say about the '09 Highlander I had either. Great dependable vehicle. When I saw a coloured picture of the Explorer with the new dash and ambient lighting, I was sold. Had 2 1/2 years left on the Highlander lease which a friend took over. The only thing about Toyota is that they seem years behind in bring the new electronic features and 'nice to have gadgets' to market. The new 2014 Highlander is just now coming out with the things my 2011 Explorer had. The seating position in the Explorer is higher than the Highlander. The one thing the Highlander did have was the ability to open the rear glass portion of the tailgate. With the Explorer it is all one piece.
The '09 Highlander was full time 4WD with power split 50/50. The 2014 is FWD biased just like the Explorer.

Peter

Terrain Management System FAULT (Update)

So I took my vehicle back to the dealer ( third trip) and they found a TSB 12-08-09, which reprogrammed the ABS Module. I will re-post if the fault shows up again.

Thank you Crystal for your assistance.

Dealing with It

Went back to the dealership yesterday. Salesman talked to the techs who claimed excessive jogging of the TMS dial can cause a fault. No mention of any software patches, ABS TSBs etc.

In my head it seemed plausible. Go to any windows computer and hold down one key for a while or perhaps place your palm on the keyboard and move it back an forth vigorously. Eventually the system will start to beep. This I known as keyboard buffer overflow. What is happening is that you are providing commands faster than the PC can process them and given that it can only store so many unprocessed commands it is telling you there is an error.

While I don't remember the "excessive" TMS dial jogging I do know there was some. Of course this type of error should clear out on it's own and not require a system restart but given the relative youth of the software being run in Ford/Lincolns I was also willing to believe this scenario and bought the Explorer!!!

So I experienced the error one time the first day I owned it. I think I was fiddling with the MyTouch interface (not jogging the TMS dial). Later that day I applied the latest sync software and so far no more TMS errors. Full disclosure, concern for this issue was enough to make buy the extended premium care warranty.

I love my new Explorer!

Was called by the dealership that the software patch had been completed and tested but not ready for full release in a TSB although the software patch was sent to them. So took my Explorer in last week. The patch was to the ABS system...apparently to fix the "wake up" order of the various systems. My service manager was not certain when the patch would be released to all dealerships, but he got it due to our continuing work on this issue. It only took about 20 minutes...and I have not had a TMS fault since. Hope this works as I too really like the vehicle.

I've had this come on intermittently for the last two to three months. I only restarted the car to *fix* it and it would go away. But like everyone said, it comes back. Not often, but it does inform you on the left LCD screen.

Is there a permanent fix to this? I have 27,x.. miles on my 2012 XLT 4WD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Terrain Management System Fault

I've had this come on intermittently for the last two to three months. I only restarted the car to *fix* it and it would go away. But like everyone said, it comes back. Not often, but it does inform you on the left LCD screen.

Is there a permanent fix to this? I have 27,x.. miles on my 2012 XLT 4WD.

I have had the software patch now for nearly a month...and have not had a Terrain Management System Fault since. Talk to your dealer about it and tell them to contact their regional Ford service manager if they are unware of the software patch...

Back