how much power can the 2005 explorer 4.6 4wd differentials and transmission take | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much power can the 2005 explorer 4.6 4wd differentials and transmission take

2005explrerSWG

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer limited 4.6
I was looking to give my 4.6 2005 explorer about 370hp and was wondering if the diffs and trans can take it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking to give my 4.6 2005 explorer about 370hp and was wondering if the diffs and trans can take it

Diffs... Yea..
Axles... Yea

Trans... Ehhh

Not really honestly. I wouldn't do it without rebuilding it stronger so it can handle more power because they are to be honest not the greatest transmissions to begin with.

also i was wondering what injectors and fuel pump to use i was thinking 27lb injectors but what about the fuel pump and also what do i do with the mass air floe sensor

I would inquire on the Mustang forums. They also use the 5R55 tranny and pump a heck of a lot of power into them. FYI, the Aviator puts out 310hp into that tranny with no more problems than the Ex has. And it is a much heavier vehicle. So my gut feeling is 370hp is probably not an issue, but verify before you do it.

I think that in the 5R55 model number, the 55 stands for 550ftlbs rated torque handling. Tranny should be fine. The notorious flaws in the 5R55s are not from weak parts or lack of power handling AFIK.

thanks guys much appreciated and yes it is my understanding that the main problem in these trannys are the solenoid packs going due to the atf for used, fell free to correct me if im wrong

Back