Whining noise when starting on cold days. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whining noise when starting on cold days.

kworonowski

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer limited v8
When i start up in the morning or on really cold days i have a whining nosie from the engine. I am assuming it is the water pump but after 2-5 mins the noise goes away even faster if i am driving down the road. (slowly not flooring it) is there any way to verify it is the water pump and not something else.
--no leaks
--warm days no noise at all (40 degree F or up)
--would a rad flush with some treatment work or
--replace pump?
--not belt noise more metal sounding.

Also has anyone had an issue with their rear wiper not staying to the window like the spring is weak the motor works (slowly at times) but the wiper cleans very poorly and i don't know if i need a new spring or what.

I appreciate the help

02 xlt 126k miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be the water pump. I wouldn't replace it unless you can verify it. Have you ever popped the hood after you started it and see if you can tell where it's coming from?

When i start up in the morning or on really cold days i have a whining nosie from the engine. I am assuming it is the water pump but after 2-5 mins the noise goes away even faster if i am driving down the road. (slowly not flooring it) is there any way to verify it is the water pump and not something else.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is the noise coming from the front of the motor or can you hear it coming thru the floor boards? Last January my EX would have a loud whine coming thru the floor boards at a cold start up and after a few minutes of warming up and driving, it would go away or quiet down. It was the torque converter to the transmission. They (dealership) attempted a cheap fix by replacing the pump to the tranny to increase fluid pressure and a fluid change, it helped with the whining noise at start up, but the tranny needed replacing (rebuilt) a week later. Bad water pumps usually start leaking thru the weep hole when you turn off the engine, not so much while the engine is running. Check around the harmonic balancer pulley to see if you can spot a slight fluid leak when you turn off the engine. A wet or badly cracked serpentine belt will cause a whiney noise as well. It could also be the bearings in one of the pulleys as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Also has anyone had an issue with their rear wiper not staying to the window like the spring is weak the motor works (slowly at times) but the wiper cleans very poorly and i don't know if i need a new spring or what.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had this same problem on a Jeep I once owned, but I never did anything with it. I thought it was the wiper spring as well.

Ford has tsb for concern and its pretty simple.
Printable View (17 KB)
TSB
01-14-2 NOISE - "WHINE" OR "HOWL" NOISE FROM TRANSMISSION AT START-UP - TEMPERATURES BELOW 4 C (40 F) - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 5R55W TRANSMISSION - PRODUCED 11/13/2000 THROUGH 8/1/2001 ONLY
TRANSMISSION - 5R55W - "WHINE" OR "HOWL" NOISE FROM TRANSMISSION AT START-UP - TEMPERATURES BELOW 4 C (40 F) - PRODUCED 11/13/2000 THROUGH 8/1/2001 ONLY

Publication Date: JULY 10, 2001

FORD: 2002 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 2002 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
Some vehicles, built prior to 6/15/2001, may exhibit a "whine" or "howl" noise during cold starts at temperatures below 4° C (40°F). This noise may be caused by the transmission fluid filter.

ACTION:
Verify that the noise ONLY occurs during start up with ambient temperatures below 4°C (40°F). If the noise is present only under those conditions replace the transmission fluid filter. Refer to the following Service Procedures for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Raise vehicle on a hoist.
Drain the fluid from the pan.
Remove the pan and gasket.
Replace the original filter with the new service filter 1L2Z-7A098-AC (Figure 1).
Clean the pan.
Reinstall the fluid pan gasket and pan. Tighten the screws in a crisscross pattern to 11 N-m (8 lb-ft).
Add fluid and adjust to the proper level, refer to the workshop manual procedure, Fluid Level Check.
If the noise is still present after the fluid filter has been replaced, follow normal diagnosis for noise concerns using the Diagnosis by Symptom Charts in the Workshop Manual (Section 307-01).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
1L2Z-7A098-AC Transmission Fluid Filter

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
011402A Replace Transmission Fluid Filter 1.0 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7A098 42

OASIS CODES:
501000, 502000, 503000, 504000, 702000

Figure 1 - Article 01-14-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2001 Ford Motor Company

ty i will get the filter changed as soon as i can and let y'all know.

Bad water pumps usually start leaking thru the weep hole when you turn off the engine, not so much while the engine is running. Check around the harmonic balancer pulley to see if you can spot a slight fluid leak when you turn off the engine.

Not necessarily. Only 1 out of 3 Explorer water pumps I've replaced were actually leaking. The last one the bearings were so bad you could grab the fan and move it back and forth about 3 inches and it still wasn't leaking.

Not necessarily. Only 1 out of 3 Explorer water pumps I've replaced were actually leaking. .
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was only going off of my experience with water pumps and nearly all of them I can think of that went bad in 35 years of driving started leaking thru the weep hole. As far as "Explorer" water pumps, I haven't had one go bad yet in the 2 Explorers I have owned. My first Explorer I owned and drove for 8 years. I've had water pumps go bad in other Ford vehicles, as well as GM/Chevy's and Jeeps.

I've only had water pumps go bad on the first Explorer I owned, and I've owned 5. For some reason that thing would eat water pumps like nothing. The spring tensioner must have been too tight or something. Although you would think it would have been wearing out other components too.

Could be the power steering getting ready to take a dump...

...just sayin

I am also incline towards the PS pump. But really without popping the hood and checking to see where the noise is coming from, it could be the neighbors cat getting caught up in the fan... All of the nieghbors cats... simply 1 at a time. LOL.

I am also incline towards the PS pump. But really without popping the hood and checking to see where the noise is coming from, it could be the neighbors cat getting caught up in the fan... All of the nieghbors cats... simply 1 at a time. LOL.

I like where you are going with this...:bsnicker:

I am also incline towards the PS pump. But really without popping the hood and checking to see where the noise is coming from,>>>>>>>>>>>

If the power steering pump is going bad, the noise from it would be heard front and upper level on the engine. If it is the torque converter going bad as in my experience, the noise will be heard thru the drivers side floor boards or lower and the whiney noise will change in pitch as you drive and pick up speed and the transmission shifts gears, especially on cold days. I initially thought my problem was the power steering pump, till I heard the noise thru the floor boards. The sounds they make are some what similar, just different area's on the car.

>>>>>>>>>> it could be the neighbors cat getting caught up in the fan... All of the nieghbors cats... simply 1 at a time. LOL>>>>>>>>>>>

If we get rid of them all, then who would we have to kick around anymore? JK btw!

one thing i remembered is the last time i had the trans flushed it was extremely dirty apperantly it was not flushed when i bought it as the dealership stated (big surprise) so changing the trans filter will be my first and i'll see how that works but i have looked around water pump no leaking as i can see. No cats parts either lol. i will also check out ps pump but when whining is going on i can move steering wheel back and forth with no change in pitch. it will be a lil while b4 i can get filter changed but ill update as soon as i can.

I have this issue as well. It sounds like a whining power steering pump but like kworonowski said it doesnt change when you turn the wheel. Goes away after warm up. Did you find the cause? My noise is coming from the front driver side of the engine bay.

My Ex has recently started doing this too. it has to be very cold out on a cold start ( near freezing). the while sounds like it is coming from the driver floorboard and increases with the RPMs.

never figured out what the issue was. On Jan 30th I had an accident with my ex flew into a river 50' below the road. Only small cut on hand and whiplash but totaled the ex :( .

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like you are okay that is the main thing.

I have the same issue with my Explorer, it seems like the transmission makes a lot of noise (whining) until it is fully warmed up, then the sound stops. I live in Southern California and the temperatures are much higher than people have stated above, in fact it always makes the sound until the engine is warmed up, no matter what the air temperature is - it could be 70F - still makes the noise.
I am going to change the transmission filter and see if that stops it - it definitely seems related to the transmission.

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like you are okay that is the main thing.

I have the same issue with my Explorer, it seems like the transmission makes a lot of noise (whining) until it is fully warmed up, then the sound stops. I live in Southern California and the temperatures are much higher than people have stated above, in fact it always makes the sound until the engine is warmed up, no matter what the air temperature is - it could be 70F - still makes the noise.
I am going to change the transmission filter and see if that stops it - it definitely seems related to the transmission.

kworonowski, sorry about the explorer, glad your okay! 50' into a river sounds scary as ****.

Moto, did you try the filter yet? I have 193k on our 2005, had a filter and 5 qts added way back around 75k, then recently had the trans "flushed" at the dealer and this sound started a little after that. I'm really hoping the filter is the culprit. Yours is exactly the same description of my noise down here in So FLA. I feel lucky to have come across kwor's old resurrected thread! :thumbsup:

Moto, did you try the filter yet? I have 193k on our 2005, had a filter and 5 qts added way back around 75k, then recently had the trans "flushed" at the dealer and this sound started a little after that. I'm really hoping the filter is the culprit. Yours is exactly the same description of my noise down here in So FLA. I feel lucky to have come across kwor's old resurrected thread! :thumbsup:

I keep putting it off, I have the filter and a new gasket, just need the trans fluid and to get motivated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back