e brake adjust/fix

allikat3

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
HI,
I just failed inspection for parking brake. It is completely useless. Also failed because rear wiper /wash not working, strange because rear wiper works off and on last month.

Does any one know if you can adjust e-brake cable under car, and details how to . I searched for brake adjust with little luck.

thanks.:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No drum to remove. The rear brakes are disc for the main stopping and a drum style set up built into the rotors for the parking brake. Typically the shoes separate and render the parking brakes inoperable. Pull the rear rotors and see if your shoes are shot and replace them if they are.

There is a knock out to gain access to the parking brakes. But you have to knock it out. Easier to drill it. Have to remove caliper and rotor to adjust rear parking brakes. I am mechanically inclined and do all my own work. Except, I pay a brake shop to adjust the rear parking shoes. I hate those stupid shoes. Even if you could get access via the knock out, it would take forever.
Rear wiper doesn't move? Or no fluid comes out? Wiper motors fail. Access via interior trim, shouldn't be hard.

wiper rear window

hi

it works friday, not saturday? basically it is an intermitent failure.
weird issue, I should of checked before trying to get sticker.
last week and prior it worked fine, wiper and washer.
here in boston they fail you for that??? how stupid, right.

thanks

State wants its (I mean your) money.

wiper rear window and e brake

thanks for your help. strange big snow storm (many!) rear wiper now works ?? bizzare!!! still have to tackle e- brake!

This vehicle has some really strange electrical issues such as rear passenger window door not working., no courtesy lights/dome.
chime on for acc. mode. :eek:

thanks.

DAY A@ A TIME TO FIX THIS STUFF i SUPPOSE.

I recently had to adjust mine in order to pass inspection.

I jacked the rear up and had it on jack stands so I could remove both wheels. I took the rotors off to inspect the E-Brake shoes and hardware and to also check what direction to turn each star adjuster for proper adjustment and to make sure the adjusters were spinning freely . I have yet to find a rubber grommet to stick in the hole.

I actually adjusted both sides with the wheels off. On the passenger side the star adjuster gets turned up to tighten. On the driver's side the star adjuster gets turned down to tighten.

Here is a shot of the driver's side adjustment window, as outlined by the red arrows. The yellow arrow points to the star adjuster:

LeftE-BrakeAdjustCustom_zps35e6e86a.jpg

Here is a close-up of the driver's side adjustment window:

LeftE-BrakeAdjustCloseUpCustom_zps23ba9a20.jpg

Hope this helps out. ;):thumbsup:

Yeah I called the dealer, they quoted $40 for the rubber plug.

I have to adjust my e-brake before my next inspection in April. I plan on doing this once winter hits the bricks. I'm going to make a serious effort to find something to use as a plug. I'll keep you guys posted.

e- brake issues

Hi THanks for your pics , and help!!

I always thought the e-brake is "self adjusting" on later models.

I pulled on e drivers side wheel off , and was unsure where to start, you said pull off the rotor/ caliper to check the e-brake shoes. If the shoes look ok, then start the adjustment(star wheel) as needed.
Did yo u struggle to do this,how long did it take . Also did the e-brake shoes appear ok??

thanks for your help!!!
:)

Adjust the star with the rotor off. Making sure the parking brake assembly is centered. Then put the rotor on. If the rotor slides on easy, take it off and adjust the shoes again. Once you get to a point where you have to force the rotor on, back the star adjuster off a bit, so no contact. You should be good to go. There shouldn't be much room between the shoes and the rotor. The shoe assembly can slide vertically in opposite directions, just enough to make the rotor feel tight when it isn't.

thanks for all the help/info..... my rear wiper works now(no clue why , but happy).

I am going to tackle the e-brake issues., just received
complete brake kit. I went on line to chiltons manual , and they show this "pin" to insert into assembly prior to r/r parking brake pads etc....
no clue about that.I se no pin in my raybestos kit.
anyone ever heard of such"pin' .

thanks

ps freezing big time here!!! burrr:(

The pin is just an item to use, such as 6 penny nail or a small screw driver. I yanked on that damn thing for hours. No holes lined up allowing the 'pin' to slide in. Don't know if anyone else has had any luck. Replacing the shoes with the hub pressed in is possible and really not that hard. I took pics of the process but haven't gotten around to posting them.

after looking at other manuals, etc, it looks like this so called "pin' just locks the parking brake cable into position (out of the way ) while you r/r parking brake pads , etc. like you said , it is just a nail or w/ever to hold brake cable. It is inside car @ brake p brake cable foot pedal. I thought it was @ caliper.

thanks

Yeah not sure why one needs to lock it. I didn't, did my hubs and parking brake shoes. Had the e-brakes adjusted and all works fine.

Back