Aftermarket Source for Rear Hatch Lift Struts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Source for Rear Hatch Lift Struts?

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
So the struts on my '11 XLT are not lifting the hatch all the way. I suspect it's weather related and when everything warms up again, the gas will regain it's volume and they will be fine for Spring and Summer. But, I'm 6', and I've about hit my head on the hatch a number of times this winter. So I thought I would just replace them.

I went to NAPA, Autozone and Advance Auto Parts and none of them list the item.

Anyone replaced these with aftermarket parts? I can't imagine what is so special about these, but they weren't listed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May sound like a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway...

You haven't programmed the hatch to only open that far, correct?

He may not have the power liftgate. It is optional on the XLT

Ahhh...good point.

Gas Strut Solution

My hood struts are shot so I built these:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jimandnena4/GasStrutSolution

I made longer ones for the rear hatch. A length of schedule 40, half inch PVC cut to length and a section sawed out just big enough to force the pipe over the strut rod. The string was an easy way to remove them and gave me something to hang them on.

jim

He may not have the power liftgate. It is optional on the XLT
You are correct. I'm talking about the gas struts, no power liftgate.

Mighty lift is usually about $20 or so per strut, but they don't seem to produce them yet for the new generation Explorers. I haven't measured and looked at the ends to see what is unique about them.

I did email Mighty Lift from their site last night. We shall see if they respond.

Called Mighty Lift. The tech support person was not in, and the order person couldn't find a listing. She said her book only went to 2010 on the Explorer.

She suggested calling back, but the White Death in Marion, South Carolina has had them off work for 2 days. We'll see if they are back this morning.

aren't they covered by warranty?
Mine are starting to fail... they can't support the hatch's own weight after three years 41,000 miles, cheap design....

aren't they covered by warranty?
Mine are starting to fail... they can't support the hatch's own weight after three years 41,000 miles, cheap design....
Not at this point. I have almost 60,000 miles on the X.

Three years is about all I've gotten out of a set, especially when it's subzero and the gas doesn't seem to expand as much. Throw in being 6' tall, and I can whack my head on the hatch if I'm not careful.

I spoke with the tech service rep at Mighty Lift yesterday. They are not making a set at this point. She said the specs on these included not only the length and attachment methods, but the lift pressure as well. She suspected that they didn't have an off the shelf unit that meets all the specs.

Oh well, it's starting to get warmer. We'll see if that helps the situation until the aftermarket units are available.

My 2013 has 70,000 miles, and the lift started having a mind of its own...

I bought a 3rd Party strut replacement for my 2013 Explorer. Replaced the Lift Strut with the following part from Rock Auto

AMS AUTOMOTIVE 6681 Lift Support $ 19.78

Yep. $20. I should have done it sooner, before my wife hit her head a few times!!

It works like new again!

Back