At the dealership

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Called my local Ford shop last week to see about getting my tranny flushed (51,000 mile 6R80) and they said that they don't recommend dropping the pan and changing the filter anymore. And they still wanted $200 to do it. I really wanted to service it while is still under the power train warranty. Sitting at another dealership now and they came back to me and said they would like to drop the pan, change the filter and flush. I'm also having them flash the PCM with the latest and greatest. Going to cost me about $350, but I feel better knowing the transmission is having a proper service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am at 173k miles on my 4.6 with 6r60

I did just flush at 60, 120 k miles. I am about to do another flush, but they told me at this point not to drop the pan since the mileage.

I am plowing and towing occasionally, and so far no complaints.
In your case it was a good move to change the filter.

That's great to hear. This is just a DD for my wife, with an occasional tow. I just want it to last.

If you take care of it, it should last a long time. Mine is doing at a minimum 70 miles a day, sometimes 100 or more, more on the weekends for the past 6-7 years. Sometimes I feel it never gets cold. Even my kids always prefer the Exp rather than my wife's Tribeca, even thou it has much comfy ride. My plan is to get it past 200k, maybe 250k before the engine or tranny replacement.

I hear ya. I've been through several transmissions on older explorers so I'm always cautious.

I feel much better now. New filter, gasket and fluid in the transmission. Had them check the flash in the PCM and it was up to date. They reflashed the CAM, so now it gets to relearn everything. Anxious to see how this reacts over the next couple of weeks.

Back