OK, So What Do You DISLIKE About The 5th Gen? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, So What Do You DISLIKE About The 5th Gen?

Took delivery of my 2014 Ex Ltd on Jan 31st. Overall the vehicle has exceeded my expectations after driving the first 500 miles. I got 21.3 MPG during that time with a 75%hwy/25%city combination. Pretty good so far. My biggest dislike is the driver door armrest being too low & too far to be able to rest my arm on it while driving. This issue has been mentioned a number of times on this forum, so I knew that going in.
Congratulations. Glad o hear that you are enjoying it. After 3 years of driving mine, I don't really notice the armrest issue anymore.
Now all you have to do is update your profile to show your make and model. ;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter! I will update my profile.

First post on the forum as I've been trying to catch up on all of the pertinent posts. Purchased a white Limited over the holidays and am overall pleased with the features, the quality of build, and how it handles.

I dislike the dual panel moonroof three button operation. I hate having to first select to close the panel before I can select it to vent. I would have thought that regardless of what position the roof was in, just select where you want it to be and it would take of the rest.

Also don't like that the third row doesn't fold up like the second row can. It will fold or stow but that's it. If it could fold up, there would be more room to accommodate taller objects in that area.

First post on the forum as I've been trying to catch up on all of the pertinent posts. Purchased a white Limited over the holidays and am overall pleased with the features, the quality of build, and how it handles.

I dislike the dual panel moonroof three button operation. I hate having to first select to close the panel before I can select it to vent. I would have thought that regardless of what position the roof was in, just select where you want it to be and it would take of the rest.

Also don't like that the third row doesn't fold up like the second row can. It will fold or stow but that's it. If it could fold up, there would be more room to accommodate taller objects in that area.
Welcome to the Forum nupe494. :wavey:
The moonroofs that I had on all 3 Highlanders worked the same way as the Explorer. I believe the 3rd row seats only fold because the place they are anchored to is integrated with and forms part of the body structure of the Explorer.
To help all members provide the correct responses to any concerns you may have, it would really help if you updated the Year and Model (XLT, Limired) to your profile so it shows in the left margin.

Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

We had a 2010 MB GLK350 with the dual panel moon roof and if I recall correctly, it was more of a one touch (express) operation. I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to figure out which button to press to first close it then find the next button to vent. I just pressed it to vent and the car did the rest. Just a much easier and simpler operation. I could do it all without having to look at the button.

Prior to the first post, I was looking for where I could add the 2014 Limited we purchased in to my profile along with the Sport Trac but it would not let me. Are we limited to only displaying one vehicle in our profile?

Thanks, Peter.

We had a 2010 MB GLK350 with the dual panel moon roof and if I recall correctly, it was more of a one touch (express) operation. I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to figure out which button to press to first close it then find the next button to vent. I just pressed it to vent and the car did the rest. Just a much easier and simpler operation. I could do it all without having to look at the button.

Prior to the first post, I was looking for where I could add the 2014 Limited we purchased in to my profile along with the Sport Trac but it would not let me. Are we limited to only displaying one vehicle in our profile?
In this case you can add one or the other to your signature. The allowable space for the profile is limited. Just go to User CP and then select Edit Signature. Hope that helps.

Peter

Ah, think I got it. Thanks!

[MENTION=244716]nupe494[/MENTION], I think you have a typo in your signature regarding the year of your Sport Trac.

What irritates me most about my '11 is the lack of ability to open the rear glass with the hatch shut.

Thanks, OffTrac. Fix it.

OK, washing the rear window at the gas station today with their supplied squeegie, why the heck cant we lift the rear wiper off the glass more than an inch??

OK, washing the rear window at the gas station today with their supplied squeegie, why the heck cant we lift the rear wiper off the glass more than an inch??

:laugh: I guess you always go to car washes. I thought it was crazy too when I washed my truck the first time.

^Guilty as charged;)

What irritates me most about my '11 is the lack of ability to open the rear glass with the hatch shut.

I'd love this option too. My 2009 Ford Escape does it.

For the record I'm very happy with my 2013 Limited. A few nitpicks in no particular order:
1. Gap between seats and the doors is huge. The 2nd row bench seats could've been at least 2 inches wider.
2. Cargo area has a weak point in the front half of the stowed 3rd row seats. Cracked it while fiddling with the lights.
3. Can't turn off interior lights with doors or liftgate open.
4. Auto headlamps take around 8 seconds to turn on. When I enter a tunnel during the day, the delay is very noticeable.
5. Foot rest for the driver is to small. I like my foot resting straight. In the expe it has to be turned in.
6. Terrible ground clearance. Wish that air dam was unnecessary.
7. Mediocre 2nd row leg room.
8. Lack of front parking sensors/camera. In a car as big and full featured as the exp this should standard.

Another little nit I noticed during my most recent trip was related to listening to XM radio. I usually have the display on the right hand side of the speedo set to show the radio station. When I listen to FM, every time I start the car that right hand display continues to show the radio station. But when listening to XM, every time I start the car the right hand display resets itself back to the entertainment menu, so I have to set it to display what's on XM radio again. Hmmm.. It's not just me is it?

Thanks for the link. I've already informed my ford dealer about it. It's been taking them months to get approval.

Do you also experience the slow reaction of the auto headlamps? Ford tells me it's just the way it is with explorers which is quite a let down if you ask me. The tunnels are not well lit where I live so when it's day time and I enter a tunnel, everything goes dark. By the time the headlamps turn on, I'm almost out of the tunnel. Lol

Thanks for the link. I've already informed my ford dealer about it. It's been taking them months to get approval.

Do you also experience the slow reaction of the auto headlamps? Ford tells me it's just the way it is with explorers which is quite a let down if you ask me. The tunnels are not well lit where I live so when it's day time and I enter a tunnel, everything goes dark. By the time the headlamps turn on, I'm almost out of the tunnel. Lol

Yeah, that's a bummer, but I have lived just about my whole life needing to reach down and manually turn on the headlights when entering tunnels with manual headlights.

If I have to do it with auto headlights that take a few seconds, then no real prob. Still good to make Ford aware of it as a future fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the 'Auto' headlights and am not really a big fan of them. I had them on my '64 Caddy and a '79 Olds Regency and they operated the same way. It is the way that they are designed to work. It prevents them from turning on in situations where you momentarily pass through a dark or shaded area. Every tunnel that I have ever driven through has its own lighting.

Peter

Back