High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Ive got 320k miles on my 96 xlt. She got T-boned at an intersection and I bought it back for $400. The parts for the front suspension werent that much so I decided to rebuild her. She doesnt owe me anything only real issue has been one tranny rebuild. Hopefully I can take her for another 300k! Hehe :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I picked up a '98 XLT, 4.0 SOHC with 4WD. Purchased it 3 days ago with 157,000 miles from original owner. He had maintenance records and a CARFAX for it, it's on the original motor and transmission. Best off, it passed the CA smog test (the biggest pain in the a$$) with flying colors!

I hear absolutely NO timing chain rattle, whether its warmed up or started cold. :D Transmission shifts smooth and doesn't slip whatsoever. :thumbsup: Drove it around in 4 wheel drive, no problems. The wheels did chirp a bit with some loud creaking when I made tight turns, but that's how every 4x4 I've ever owned will ride. :dunno:

The oil level was good, but it did look a bit old so I replaced it today with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5-20 Synthetic Extended Performance. Hooked that up with a Fram Extended Performance filter.

I picked it up off craigslist for $1700, the thing looks amazing. No rust underneath (original Southern CA car), paint looks good, leather interior in nice condition, and it has an aftermarket stereo with Alpine speakers in all 4 doors. :p:

I've owned two F-150s in the past (both 5.4 Tritons) and loved them both dearly. Owned each of them for a long time and had no problems. I'm hoping for the same, reliable service with this V6 Explorer! :salute:

99 eb

Bought her in april,138000mi. Have since had trans work(all new bands,TransGo kit) because I lost reverse at 142000. Just changed oil 2nd time,150000mi and switched over to Valvoline synthetic and Mobile 1 filter.
Come Tax return time she'll undergo quite the metamorphasis,I got plans!

I bought a 98 XLT in February with it only needing a head gasket and the engine needed reassembled. It had about 147xxx on it. Stupidly I didn't really look at the engine before I bought it, and after going over it, the cassettes were smashed and parts were missing. I was able to get an engine out of a '99 and after changing the fuel system back to the return style, I got it running. This engine had 89xxx and supposedly ran great but rattled after a few drives. Someone had screwed with the tensioners however as they were both the same and I have yet to see one like that. I replaced both of them and to date haven't had any other issues. I did notice a little rattle over the summer but since I started using full synthetic oil, I haven't heard it since. Currently it has about 105xxx on the engine. I'm hoping to get 300k-400k out of it but only time will tell. I can see the some of the normal wear parts have been replaced like ball joints and sway bar end links by one of the previous owners. It needed an alternator over the summer.

Right now it needs an EGR valve, O2 sensors, and there is something wrong with the auto dim mirror and the headlights don't stay on for a few minutes after it's shutoff like they used to. The fog lights blow a fuse after being used for a random amount of time which I think may have to do with the modification the previous owner made to hook the wires directly to the light with out the connector. The horn also blows a fuse if held in for 5 seconds.

Other than that I have been happy with it. I also have a '96 with an OHV that I bought with the common intake manifold gasket leak. That had 179xxx on it before that and ran strong. I only put about 6,000 on it before it was in an accident but it still runs great. I am currently waiting to hear back from the repair shop about when the repairs will be completed. Before the engine was fixed, I had worked on this for the previous owner, and it only ever had normal wear parts replaced as well. I put ball joints and brakes on it about a month before the accident.

184,000 on 98. Lots of sensor replacements. New shocks. Sway bar linkage. Runs ok.

My old one had 100k, so not high by any means but it was flat towed hundreds of miles at a rip and abused off road yet she ran good up till I totaled it. Only needed wheel bearings and the transfer case was making a little noise but I also never changed the fluid in it... Yes dumb I know I've since learned.

Hmmmm, mine is the 3rd San Diego truck on this page (previous ones = natures_child, Produce_Man). This looks like a trend [SMILE]. I guess the word is out - these trucks last!

Mine is a '97 XLT with SOHC V6 and automatic 4x4 that I bought right at 160,000 miles from the original owner 18 months ago. It runs like a top and I really enjoy it. We're about 168,500 miles now.

Through the great threads and how-to threads of these forums, I've been able to correct some of the typical age related issues (stretched throttle cable, keyless entry issues, etc.) myself and I hope to have it for some time. Long term hopes are to build it into a true expedition vehicle for the SoCal/Baja deserts and mountains.

Hmmmm, mine is the 3rd San Diego truck on this page (previous ones = natures_child, Produce_Man). This looks like a trend [SMILE]. I guess the word is out - these trucks last!

Mine is a '97 XLT with SOHC V6 and automatic 4x4 that I bought right at 160,000 miles from the original owner 18 months ago. It runs like a top and I really enjoy it. We're about 168,500 miles now.

Through the great threads and how-to threads of these forums, I've been able to correct some of the typical age related issues (stretched throttle cable, keyless entry issues, etc.) myself and I hope to have it for some time. Long term hopes are to build it into a true expedition vehicle for the SoCal/Baja deserts and mountains.

Sounds like a Sweet plan. Is it your daily driver?

I'm in the same boat with setting mine up for some off road use. In the winter I like to go shooting out in the desert, and in the summer I make lots of trips down to Baja to surf. I'd like to put a 2 or 3" lift on it and some 31" or 32" off road tires, but one thing at a time! Haven't checked out too many lift kits yet, but I'd like to keep it somewhat cheap (considering I only paid $1700 for the Exploder). Anyone have some suggestions?

Ordered some "FX-4" stickers last night to throw on the rear fenders :D Both of my previous trucks were F-150 FX-4s and I'd like to keep the trend going :) So although its only a cosmetic upgrade... it's a start!!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a Sweet plan. Is it your daily driver?

Well, yes and no. It is indeed my personal daily driver, but I'm retired, so no longer doing commutes (thank God - 35 years is enough). I do try and respect it and treat it well, but it is used as a true utility vehicle. It hauls steel for my projects (appropriately protected), transports 3 sheep dogs to the dog park or for trail hikes, goes off road in Borrego Springs and travels on the back roads around Idyllwild in the snow. It is extremely versatile.

At the same time, I just had the interior detailed and it still looks good enough to take company out to dinner in if need be.

Here's a link to photos of it all cleaned up ==> https://picasaweb.google.com/1078334...73134130078370

Cheers,

Lonnie

I'm in the same boat with setting mine up for some off road use. In the winter I like to go shooting out in the desert, and in the summer I make lots of trips down to Baja to surf. I'd like to put a 2 or 3" lift on it and some 31" or 32" off road tires, but one thing at a time! Haven't checked out too many lift kits yet, but I'd like to keep it somewhat cheap (considering I only paid $1700 for the Exploder). Anyone have some suggestions?

Ordered some "FX-4" stickers last night to throw on the rear fenders :D Both of my previous trucks were F-150 FX-4s and I'd like to keep the trend going :) So although its only a cosmetic upgrade... it's a start!!! :thumbsup:

If you haven't already, learn to do the advanced search in these forums. There is excellent information here regarding the largest size tires you can use stock as well as with lifts of various amounts (1-1/2", 2", 3", etc).

I'm contemplating the same notions. What I've found so far (again from threads here) is that about 1-1/2" lift in the front using Torsion Twist (TT) on the front bars is inexpensive, pretty safe, and a big help for off-road. You should align the front end afterwords.

Using lift shackles at the back is the most cost effective, but you can't do big lifts. I think 2" is about the max. Again, this info is in the threads here.

I went through the off road school in Borrego completely stock. It did great, but that 1-12/" lift at front and back, plus some bigger tires would have made a significant difference.

Cheers,

Well, yes and no. It is indeed my personal daily driver, but I'm retired, so no longer doing commutes (thank God - 35 years is enough). I do try and respect it and treat it well, but it is used as a true utility vehicle. It hauls steel for my projects (appropriately protected), transports 3 sheep dogs to the dog park or for trail hikes, goes off road in Borrego Springs and travels on the back roads around Idyllwild in the snow. It is extremely versatile.

At the same time, I just had the interior detailed and it still looks good enough to take company out to dinner in if need be.

Here's a link to photos of it all cleaned up ==> https://picasaweb.google.com/1078334...73134130078370

Cheers,

Lonnie

The link isn't working... Otherwise i would love to see it.

I know exactly how you use yours I think. Mine was kept MINT by the previous owners. I'm talking showroom clean, no joke. Because of this I have invested in good mats and use old sheets and stuff to keep it clean. That being said it had been full of scrap metal, firewood, concrete a kinda of crap. I also tow scrap with it and even my friends jeep. I use it for what it was made plus some, not just for carting kids around.

155k on mine. I just picked it up a couple weeks ago. It'll be off the road until I do the t-chains. They sound terrible.

114,x.. on my 1998 XLT that is used primarily as my winter driver. I purchased this off the original owner (elderly man in his 70s) in June 2012 for $1750 with just over 101,000 on the odometer. Work that I have put into it: new exhaust, full tune up, battery, both front hub bearings, upper and lower ball joints on the driver's side, new rotors/pads in the front, new shocks all around, front and rear stabilizer endlinks, new IAC, new brake line in the rear. I had the tranny slip on me a cpuple times in Nov 2012 when going in reverse downhill but my mechanic used some magical transmission treatment fluid and hasn't had an issue since. I'll admit this is a bit more work and money spent than I was anticipating at the time of purchase but overall this is a reliable truck. Aside from one good sized dent on the RR passenger door, the body and interior is near immaculate considering it's age and exposure to the elements of New England. The truck is a little bumpy and clunky but she's old. No timing chain symptons to report. Knocking on wood for another 114k!

Well my first Ex I owned was an 02 and had 125,000 on it when it grenaded internally (previous owners maintained it horribly, practically never changed the oil as I later found out). My new Ex is an 04 with 219,000 and the chains rattle like there are no guides or tensioners left at all. will be replacing them soon

we have an 02 mounty, sohc, with just over 200k and running strong. only thing weve changed is transmission, ball joints, and the water outlet housing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

159k on the Bruja, '97 4.0 SOHC, RWD. She is mostly original, as in the hoses she rolled off the lot with. I bought her from the original owners, who only did the NEEDED maintenance. I am pretty sure even the alternator is stock. We bought her to go camping and because sometimes with three you need a third car. Found out after the purchase that U-Haul won't rent trailers to any one who pulls up with an Explorer. Good thing the trailer we rented barely made it off the mountain. No U-haul low boy would have made it.

Back