RockRangerII Refresh | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII Refresh

I am going to be going through my 93 ranger and giving it a refresh. I bought the truck in late 2004. Other then a rancho lift kt it was an all stock stripped truck with a 4.0 manual trans and tcase. No AC cruise or power windows. The perfect basic wheeling rig.

Here are the specs of how the truck currently sat before this refresh.

4.0V6 all stock
Stock 5 speed
d.d. machine duel case setup with manual 1350 front and 1354 rear.
Front axle is a 1984 Jeep wagonner dana 44 converted to 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern 4.88 gears and an Aussie locker
Three link front suspension using 8" skyjacker TJ springs.
Rear axle is a 1992 explorer 8.8 4.88 gears and welded spider gears.
63" Chevy springs with a bellteck shackle.
BroncoII tank behind the rear axle
Warn 9.5 XP winch behind the front grill.
Interior roll cage
37" MTR on 17" steel rims

11806351705_12f3ea8e7c_c.jpg

Untitled by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

I took the truck down to King of The Hammers and few years ago and did some wheeling and managed to crush the bed good. Broke both front hubs and all 4 front axles, bent the rear driveshaft and ripped a shock mount off. Due to life getting in the way it sat on the trailer for 18 months before I even touched it again. Now I plan to give the truck some love and get it back on the trials again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started on the main pan of the skid plate. Got this far till I ran out of steel. Once i get more steel I'll cut the rest of the pieces and get it all welded and installed. I am thinking about putting some HDPE plastic on the the bottom of it. Does anyone know where to get it? Need a 24x29" piece.

12604210403_d9af7d9525_z.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are you asking about a cutting board plastic? If so they sell those in virtually any size you need at any restaurant supplies store/ warehouse. Last I saw uline sold it as well. Grainger probably sells it as well. Doing a quick search shows usplastics.com and eplastics.com (this one will cut to fit any thickness.

There is a place I found at one time. Its in a thread of mine somewhere. Search cutting board under my name. I have a piece about half the size your looking for in the garage that I was going to work into a skid plate.

Most of the builds on Pirate i've seen use UHMW but the HDPE looks promising. Does it work any better or worse than UHMW? The HDPE is certainly cheaper in the same thickness and sheet size when a doing side by side comparison.

Looks like there's plenty of online suppliers but shipping might suck, maybe search for "plastics" in your area.

Found this place in Orange County...not close to you I know but at least you can get an idea of what pricing is like:

http://www.iplasticsupply.com/materials/polyethylene-hdpe-ldpe-sheet-rod/

That is the plastic I was thinking of. No idea if one is better then the other.

Picked up the tube for the bed, steel for a new front bumper and to finish the skid plate yesterday.

Looks great.

You still having rear light problems?
I looked in both of my Explorer books and the tail lighting is totally different than the Ranger. I was thinking you might need a relay in the brake light switch circuit. I have one in the Explorer for the braking system while flat towing. It only allows the brake lights to work when in Start/Run so the system doesn't get confused.

Service the transmission and transfer case before you bolt that thing up.

They have less then 300 miles on them from the last service. I might actually change the engine oil though. I think it has been like 5 or 6 years and maybe 1000 miles.

..You know...They had a few sheets of that plastic for sale cheap in the KOH garage sale tent..

..If you were closer I would come over and help you with the light wire problem..It's kinda sad not getting to see a yard full of Rangers getting worked on over any given weekend..:D

So far I have worked on my 4 vehicles, my parents ranger, a FJ55 with a 6.2 chevy diesel, and a solid axle tacoma. A friend is collecting parts for his explorer we will be building here soon.

This thread inspires me...I want to build more:hammer:

SAS'd Taco? Are you on TacomaWorld too, would like to see the build thread on that.

Back