Nervous new owner

Gerardt800

Reaction score
City, State
Perth Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 2002
Hi everyone

I am in Western Australia and have just bought my first Explorer, it's a 2002 XLT with the 4.6 V8, it looks like new and has been well looked after, have a problem already though with a dash warning light but the dealer has been very helpful and isolated it to a CO2 sensor and possibly the cat converter which has a warranty.

Since I bought the car a week ago though people around me at work have told me nothing but horror stories about these cars from failing transmissions to catching fire, I was looking at Jeeps before but got put off with a lot of bad stories on those too, so I am a little worried but would really like to hear some good stuff for a change.

I have to say the build quality looks really good and the level of trim and with seven seats there is a lot of family car for the money, anway good to be here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The neighbors are jealous I think!

Service it properly and you'll be driving it a long time.

I've had my 2002 xlt for a while now. It's almost to 250,000 miles and still running strong. Had to replace a few wheel bearings and some other routine maintainence stuff. Don't let others scare you. My trans doesn't slip and I drive it pretty hard most of the time. Use it to haul the quad around and also have even hauled a full size cummins pick up on a trailer (only a few miles) but it did great. Enjoy your explorer. Like a woman if you love her she will love you.

My Ranger is a 1992, thats 22 years old and I'm only rebuilding the tranny now.

Hey thanks that does sound good, I have the service history and factory recall stuff and maintenance like wheel bearings has been done, wow 250,000 miles ! that's impressive, thanks again for replying.

Back