Programing key fobs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programing key fobs

280mistral

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Trying to program remote key fobs for a 2003 Explorer. I have two brand new fobs with batteries that measure over 3 volts and one original fob which I have just replaced the battery. I recently acquired the car and am down in New Zealand so this is an Australian Explorer. I don't know much of the history of the car.The previous owner sent me the remote after I purchased it and so I've never seen it work. I can cycle the ignition 8 times and get the locks to cycle but when I push any button on the remotes, nothing. The car has the perimeter alarm system and it passes the "turn the key on and it lights the indicator stays on for 3 seconds test". It doesn't seem to matter if the auto lock is enabled or disabled when running the fob programing routine. Vin# is 1FMDU73E62ZC80734. The only other thing that might be suspicious is that someone has replaced the Ford radio with some stupid JVC piece with a remote controller. I tried the programing routine with the JVC off and I even tried to program the JVC controller as a fob just to see if it was interfering but still nothing. I pulled the fuse on the JVC and waited 30 seconds and then tried to program the fobs but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. John Meredith

Does your car starts? also, do you have the keypad on the driver door?

Back