Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

I had the GPS issue on my Sport. My dealer did an update back in June. 25,000 miles later and the issue has not recurred.

The OEM Hankook rubbers do suck something fierce! I went to a Yokohama Parada Spec-X tire. Absolutely love them! They're so much quieter and handle great in this nasty WI winter :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the GPS issue on my Sport. My dealer did an update back in June. 25,000 miles later and the issue has not recurred.

The OEM Hankook rubbers do suck something fierce! I went to a Yokohama Parada Spec-X tire. Absolutely love them! They're so much quieter and handle great in this nasty WI winter :)
I had those same tires put on about 2 hours after I picked up the Explorer from the dealer. Use the BFG Winter Slalom tires in Winter time.

Peter

FYI, for those with the tracking issue with GPS. Went to Mt Brydges ford, tech knew right away what the problem was... he replaced the gps module the next day and I have not had any problems since. That was about 3 weeks ago.

FYI, for those with the tracking issue with GPS. Went to Mt Brydges ford, tech knew right away what the problem was... he replaced the gps module the next day and I have not had any problems since. That was about 3 weeks ago.
That is interesting since some of the tracking problems didn't occur until some members installed Winter wheels/tires of a slightly different size. I could see replacing the module if the tracking was off all the time but not if it was due to changing wheels. Was your GPS off all the time or because of a wheel change?

Peter (ex Londoner)

I've never changed my tires and have had plenty of trouble with the gps.

Not sure, but I do have winter tires on now. Wonder if it will get screwed up again when I switch back to summers. I'll let you know when I get back from our road trip to Florida.

A TSB has just been released (2/21) for the navigation tracking issue. TSB 14-00037. It's for a reprogram of the GPS module.

A TSB has just been released (2/21) for the navigation tracking issue. TSB 14-00037. It's for a reprogram of the GPS module.
Thanks for that info. I'd be curious if that reprogram has to be done on the 2013/2014 models every time the wheels are switched or if this will fix it once and for all.

Peter

Does this apply to all ex's?

Nav update

I just got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealer. Since new (3/2011) this Nav system has had many issues even after I did the last upgrade (Fall, 2013) using the Ford provided thumb drive. At times, the Nav still failed to track when I was after leaving my home. Even after 5 miles of driving the icon would still be in the driveway and the display showed "GPS" with a red X through it. On longer trips the icon would take a trip on its own, through fields and through rivers and even the Atlantic Ocean. Frustrating? You bet!
Today I had Ford install the latest update, 3.6.something, and recalibrate the GPS system. The techs found several trouble codes all verifying my complaints. Supposedly they've all be corrected. I'll wait and see if that's so.
Since my truck is way out of the warrantee (62.5K miles) I had to pay $167 to have the upgrade done. I opened a case with Ford Customer Service, asking for a full refund, because the issues I experienced have been in the Explorer since new and Ford KNEW about it. I shouldn't have to pay to fix something that was defective when my vehicle left the factory.
I'll let you know how it's settled.
-Steve-
6steve5@gmail.com

Anyone have details on TSB 14-00037?

I just got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealer. Since new (3/2011) this Nav system has had many issues even after I did the last upgrade (Fall, 2013) using the Ford provided thumb drive. At times, the Nav still failed to track when I was after leaving my home. Even after 5 miles of driving the icon would still be in the driveway and the display showed "GPS" with a red X through it. On longer trips the icon would take a trip on its own, through fields and through rivers and even the Atlantic Ocean. Frustrating? You bet!
Today I had Ford install the latest update, 3.6.something, and recalibrate the GPS system. The techs found several trouble codes all verifying my complaints. Supposedly they've all be corrected. I'll wait and see if that's so.
Since my truck is way out of the warrantee (62.5K miles) I had to pay $167 to have the upgrade done. I opened a case with Ford Customer Service, asking for a full refund, because the issues I experienced have been in the Explorer since new and Ford KNEW about it. I shouldn't have to pay to fix something that was defective when my vehicle left the factory.
I'll let you know how it's settled.
-Steve-
6steve5@gmail.com
If the GPS has a red X through it your navigation will not be accurate since it isn't linked to the satellite.
The charge was likely for the work done to re-calibrate the system. There should be no charge to update the MFT software whether or not you are under warranty. It is also something that you yourself could have done.
The navigation in my 2011 Limited has worked great since the day I got it.

Peter

What issues was it addressing?

Some 2013-2014 vehicles equipped with SYNC® and/or MyFord Touch®, MyLincoln Touch® and built on or before 1/6/2014 may exhibit navigation display offset or incorrect position. The last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.

Some 2013-2014 vehicles equipped with SYNC® and/or MyFord Touch®, MyLincoln Touch® and built on or before 1/6/2014 may exhibit navigation display offset or incorrect position. The last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.

Great thanks!

Nav update

Got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealer after they installed the latest update and recalibrated the GPS, at a cost of $162.94. (While it was at the dealer, I opened a case with Ford Cust Relations)
The GPS worked OK yesterday afternoon, but this morning it again failed to track where the vehicle was and the red X through "GPS" was displayed. The dealer now wants to keep the Explorer to do further testing. I updated the case with Ford and am waiting for a response, which now more than ever, should be a total refund of yesterdays charges.
This vehicle is so good in all other respects, but the GPS? Awful! I wish it was as accurate, dependable and functional as my 6 year old Garmin Novi. But there again, I paid a little over $200 for the Garmin. (Please don't remind me what I paid for the Ford unit!)
-Steve-

Got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealer after they installed the latest update and recalibrated the GPS, at a cost of $162.94. (While it was at the dealer, I opened a case with Ford Cust Relations)
The GPS worked OK yesterday afternoon, but this morning it again failed to track where the vehicle was and the red X through "GPS" was displayed. The dealer now wants to keep the Explorer to do further testing. I updated the case with Ford and am waiting for a response, which now more than ever, should be a total refund of yesterdays charges.
This vehicle is so good in all other respects, but the GPS? Awful! I wish it was as accurate, dependable and functional as my 6 year old Garmin Novi. But there again, I paid a little over $200 for the Garmin. (Please don't remind me what I paid for the Ford unit!)
-Steve-
Hey Steve. Did the red X ever disappear? I know that sometimes on mine the GPS locks in right away while at other times it takes several minutes and the the Nav, if off course, will correct itself.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GPS update

Peter, I wanted to show the mechanic exactly what I was talking about. But the GPS "found" itself just as I turned into the Ford dealership today. Isn't that always the way things go?
-Steve-

Back