How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd gen bodylift - PA 883 Bodylift Instructions

Completed both my body lifts on both my 98 Explorers just over a year ago. They both got 2" lifts. And both got actual Hockey pucks used for the lift. 20 pucks per explorer double stacked. Only "mods" to make the lift work, adjusted the fan shroud only. Cut out the bottom area of shroud to let the fan sit without hitting and redrilled the top two mounting holes higher in the plastic to drop the shroud down. Radiator left in factory mounting on the core support with no modifications. I did nothing to the steering shaft or any other items under the hood. I then loosened the hoses for the fuel filler neck and took the tension out of them and reclamped them. I did modifiy both bumpers to move up to the body by simply redrilling holes in the stock brackets. Did not make any new brackets. I did completely build a new front bumper for mine though to mount the winch.

Now we have just over a yr on both explorers, mine you mine has 280K on it and the other 175K.

I have taken mine wheeling countless times, been out to moab, winched some damn near vertical ****, lots of new dents and scratches but never an issue with anything involving the Body lift.

Now my wife however, she just totaled hers. Rolled it and destroyed the body. Two heavy impacts to both "A" pillars at different moments. The body never moved. Stayed square to the frame. I just replaced the body today with a donor body and all the mounts, bolts, and pucks were undamaged and in great working order.

So for the nay sayers who say body lifts are unsafe, I think my wife faired pretty well walking away just sore and with minor cuts from glass.

When they were completed before I built a bumper.
IMG_20120301_084035.jpg

And my wifes last week.
IMG_20130319_161650_778_zpsd9a96aa9.jpg

IMG_20130319_161634_733_zpsf5c765e9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fitment

i was just wondering ive got a 2000 explorer xls and wanted to know if a pm 883 bpdy lift would fit

**** Gas Mileage. What gives?

Long story short, it's been over 4 years since I made this write-up, and aside from the squeaks and whatnot that have been progressively getting worse, nothing much has changed... with the exception of my gas mileage. I am now sitting at 12.6MPG and it has gotten worse every year after the lift. Thoughts as to what the heck is going on? I understand that a lift and big tires are going to strain the transmission, but this MPG is HORRIBLE. Thanks for the help in advance.

I see 15 consistently in both explorers. I doubt it has anything to do with the lift.

hey yall, down here in FL me and bunch guys made a FL Explorer Group on Facebook, me and another guy are doing our 3in body lifts, we got our kits but need to know what size bolts we need? i dont remember but i read somewhere on the 4 door explorers the bolts are way too long? some help would be appreciated thanks.

i get about 12 MPG in my explorer though lol

Im getting 12 -13mpg after my lift and rack

sploder.jpg

My regular one got 12-14 after a TT/ shackle lift and bigger tires. I feel like it's just the AWD case being the piece that it is in my truck though. My other truck with the Ford Racing engine put down **** for power untill I got rid of that case. It got 7-10 MPG with the 4404 and 13-18 with the 4406. What's your final drive? Lower gearing will help fuel economy on the highway but hurt it in the city. Especially fighting with bigger tires.

Hey SheepDogg, How well does that LED light bar work for ya?

the lift is not the reason for bad gas mileage,

the oversized tires is,,

my 31's changed mine from 20 mpg to just under 18, in summer,
only way to get it back is to regear the diffs,,
for 31's i would need about 4:10's when going from 3:73's

Is there any way I can raise my radiator up a little higher without having any issues... my radiator is a little too low for the off roading that I get into and I don't want to break anything

I'm not in front of my vehicle right now but I think the radiator has to be in right position because of the fan has to be centered in the fan shroud. Maye get rid of the shroud, cut the bottom of the shroud so the radiator can be moved up, electric fan???

Has anybody else had problems getting there body mounts off mine just wants to spin?

I think you're just supposed to hold the mount s with vicegrips if they spin fordexplorerfan3. And i just got the pa 883 lift for my 99 sport. For the rear bumper do I just pound the brackets that came with the kit flat and bolt it on?

I think you're just supposed to hold the mount s with vicegrips if they spin fordexplorerfan3. And i just got the pa 883 lift for my 99 sport. For the rear bumper do I just pound the brackets that came with the kit flat and bolt it on?

The original poster talks about the rear bumper mounts and he also has a link to another PA883 install that goes into more detail about the rear bumper mount. But to sum it up:
* yes pound the kit brackets flat
* remove the original bumper mounts (L shaped/right angle) from the truck and mount them directly to the bumper. Use original hardware and dont tighten anything all the way yet, you will want to make minor adjustments
* mount the kit brackets to the original bumper mounts (which you just attached to the bumper)
* use a buddy or two to hold the bumper in place and get everything lined up.
* mark on the frame where the new holes need to be drilled so that you can mount the new bumper brackets to the frame
* bolt it up, make any minor adjustments you need to the different bumper brackets and tighten it up. OP suggested welding the new bracket to the frame. I haven't done this yet on mine and I have noticed that all the road vibration has made the bumper move around a bit. There is only one bolt holding each mount piece together, so if you dont weld it I would and another bolt to each mount piece

I went swimming with my camera so I can't get you any pics but once you lay everything out it is really easy to assemble. I did it by myself with only a bottle jack, but it would have been a lot easier with a friend...I wish I had a friend

The original poster talks about the rear bumper mounts and he also has a link to another PA883 install that goes into more detail about the rear bumper mount. But to sum it up:
* yes pound the kit brackets flat
* remove the original bumper mounts (L shaped/right angle) from the truck and mount them directly to the bumper. Use original hardware and dont tighten anything all the way yet, you will want to make minor adjustments
* mount the kit brackets to the original bumper mounts (which you just attached to the bumper)
* use a buddy or two to hold the bumper in place and get everything lined up.
* mark on the frame where the new holes need to be drilled so that you can mount the new bumper brackets to the frame
* bolt it up, make any minor adjustments you need to the different bumper brackets and tighten it up. OP suggested welding the new bracket to the frame. I haven't done this yet on mine and I have noticed that all the road vibration has made the bumper move around a bit. There is only one bolt holding each mount piece together, so if you dont weld it I would and another bolt to each mount piece

I went swimming with my camera so I can't get you any pics but once you lay everything out it is really easy to assemble. I did it by myself with only a bottle jack, but it would have been a lot easier with a friend...I wish I had a friend

Ok thanks I guess for some reason when i read the original instructions it just wouldnt sink in how to do it. Just finished up the body lift last night and its pretty frikin awesome. All thats left is the rear bumper that needs brought level and as luck would have it i completely forgot about the AC hose near my tensioner pulley until too late.. so gonna need a new lower ac line of course.

body lift

Hey
if anyone knows of someone who can install 3" body lift on my 2001sport, please let me know.
I live on long island ny
suffolk county.
i really want to do it myself, but with 2 jobs and living in an apartment, its outta the question.
Also need to find a person who can weld.
Any help would really be appreciated.
If any explorer guys in the area wanna get together an go wheelin or talk explorers let me know.
Thanks to everyone
Karl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a 883 Lift in my Explorer

Hi,
at first, sorry for my English knowledge but I have been learned English in School in 1982 and I don’t use it quite often. I mounted a lift kit 883, 32” tires and an auburn diff locker in my Explorer to use the car off-road. I was a member of the Romanian Off road Trophy the last years and I was very proud about my Explorer.
I have been working in German Air Force since 1888 and we will move to Holloman in 2016. Should I take my Car with me or should I sell it to buy and modify an Explorer as from 2006?

Back