HELP replaced front rotor pads forgot inner wheel bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP replaced front rotor pads forgot inner wheel bearing

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
okay, so it was my first time changing out rotors. For some reason, I thought the inner bearings were already pressed into a rotor (apparently not). So I drove around for half an hour without inner wheel bearings with my new front rotors and pads. It was making scraping noises when I turned etc. I noticed 3 major visible scores close to the edge of the front rotors. I thought that was just part of the bedding process.

So the next day, after making the realization that I was missing the inner bearing in the new rotors, I transferred them from the old rotor. Now with everything in place, no more scraping noise when I turn. The problem though when I go to brake after applying pressure to the brake pedal, the truck slows down and then almost when i come to a stop, the pedal rises somewhat higher from the resting point then goes back down again. The pedal makes somewhat of a creaking noise like someone is pushing it up against my foot...then it goes down completely...Is this a sign of a warped rotor? or maybe air in the lines (i did open the master cylinder to remove excess brake fluid when pushing in the calipers). Or maybe a twisted caliper line? This is my only vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

If the pedal drops to the floor you have an air bubble. Warped rotors usually feel like a pulse or vibration
did you only remove the cap on the brake fluid resivoir or did you remove a brake line?
If the pedal is not dropping to the floor I would be worried about the new rotors being ruined due to the force of the castle nut pulling the front bearing onto the spindle (I am assuming 2wd based on your description) without a rear bearing to prevent the rotor from being pulled to far in.

Sounds like you might have messed up one of the wheel speed sensors. From your saying the abs might be false activating now. make sure the tone ring or the sensor isnt damaged. I cant remember how those 2wds are set up.

Thanks for the help. So I resolved the issue. When I first installed the new rotors, I didn't realize I left out the inner wheel bearing. So I drive around bedding brakes while warping the rotor. I just put new rotors (wasted the old pair) and everything was fine afterwards

Back